Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #21

City: Punta Gorda
Thank you all again! This is all such great information So on the subject of records, should one expect a responsible owner to have all repair and maintenance records? If so one should expect those to be shared if present? Also what about the “Boat History Reorts”? Is this something that you would check?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Boat maintenance records are nice, but they don't tell you everything. While maintenance is important, how the boat was run may have a much bigger impact on condition. Depending on the engine, if the owner ran the boat at or near wide open throttle most of the time, may more impact on the engines than how often the oil was changed. As part of the survey, you definitely want to have oil analysis done on engine(s), transmission(s), and generator.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I know nothing about engines. I will say that my last sailboat had a small Yanmar in it that seemed to be just about bulletproof. However a small 54hp engine is different than a 300hp engine. My ignorant experience with my Yanmar doesn't really inform me about potential experiences with larger Yanmars.

I current have a Cummins in my boat. 380hp 5.9l QSB. Yeah, I like it. However, this is the second engine of that type in my boat because the first one was killed off by a Cummins mechanic while "fixing" it. Worked out fine, I got a new Reman engine out of it.

Based on my experience, one might assume that Yanmar good, Cummins bad. However I don't see it that way at all. As others have said, the value of a boat is based on a lot more than simply which engine is in it. I would shop the boat first, then look at engine brand 2nd. A well maintained boat with a well maintained Volvo engine would be MUCH more attractive to me than a poorly maintained boat or a boat with a poorly maintained Yanmar or Cummins engine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don’no Dave.
I think I’d hafta buy quite a lot of engines before having to huck out a new just purchased engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Gosh I dislike all three with Cummins the one I dislike least. My choice would be Deere.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #26
Guru

Fish53,
Do they have cast iron exhaust manafolds?
How high can they jump?

Since they have long ago quit building actual marine engines w the flywheel in the front ect ect we’re stuck w tractor, truck engines ect and they aren’t even designed to run under the same loads that marine engines do. It’s no wonder the available engines aren’t ideal.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'd strongly advise getting your "forum education" at BoatDiesel.com. And while here, pay attention to Ski, who is real and respected professional mechanic.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Generally agree with everything mentioned. There are some lobstermen that swear by their Volvos. 6bta is a great engine and Cummins remans are a great deal. There was one of the bigger Yanmars that had head issues - Well documented on boatdiesel. Avoid peninsulars if there are any left out there.
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #29

Where will you be boating? We have had Volvo in FL and they were just not cooled well enough fot our water temps. Cummins except 555. Especially the newer ones. Beware parts availability and cost on both Yanmar and especially Volvo. Even here in Ft Laud boating service capital of the world LOL
mom-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #30
Guru

It’s like you guys are getting paid to bash Volvo.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
A Cummins 6bt is only 359 cubic inches where Deere and others extract the same ratings from 400 to 450 cubic inches, just something to consider from someone with no horse in the race, I have a Lister Petter 56 cubic inches.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
It’s like you guys are getting paid to bash Volvo.
Waiting for my check.

I'm also NOT a Volvo fan and have had bad experience with them. Recently was considering another boat with Volvos. A call to the Volvo distributor convinced me that I just don't want another Volvo.

Parts too high, and availability an issue. Volvo won't talk to mortals and boat owners, unlike the others, so support is poor. And in my area, they are not well represented with good service shops.

There is a reason Volvo is not liked by a lot of people.

Now, a LOT of boats come OEM with Volvos... perhaps Volvo is cutting the boat mfgs deals that they can't resist.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #33
Guru

Seevee,
How many parts do you think you’ll need?
I repowered w a Mitsubishi that most people wouldn’t even consider as it’s not very well known. But I think most choose an engine that will bring admiration and respect to it’s owner when mentioned on the dock ect.
In well over 10 years I’ve needed so few parts it probably wouldn’t matter if it were a Volvo. I think the biggest and most expensive thing I bought is a trans oil cooler and of course that had nothing to do w the engine brand.
What does one need to do to need a head gasket? Perhaps I’ve not needed one because I always warm my engine up slowly so engine parts can expand gracefully. And I idle for 5 to 10 minutes for cooldown.
IMO you need to do something wrong to need a head gasket.
Would I put my money where my mouth is and buy a Volvo? Probably if the circumstances were indicating that would be the best choice.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #34
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I had a British Leyland 6TX 200 on my previous boat (do not confuse with Lehman) for 15 years and she was 13 years old when I bought the boat. Never missed a beat. I loved that engine.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #35
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The problem with Volvo is indeed parts and cost of parts. Whether you need one part in 10 years ot several parts, when you need the part you want it now, not in 10 weeks. 10 weeks here is a huge part of our boating season. Especially with the newer engines like the IPS drive, not only will you have to order parts but you first will have had to wait on a technician with a computer to diagnose it before you can even order the parts. A friend tried to deliver a ST down the east coast last year. They waited weeks for technicians at several stops and weeks for parts and this was a fairly new boat. Sorry, I have not heard anything like this from any other engine manufacturer. Maybe there are other manufacturers that support their products this poorly, but if so no one is talking about it. It really is too bad because the IPS system is pretty neat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #36

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Love our Volvo's but parts are high

Here in the SF Bay area there are lots of Volvo's and parts get here usually within a week. At least the few I have checked on. The prices are higher but I like the design and engineering.

I do my own work and I have worked as a mechanic in a boatyard. Getting access on what you want to work on can be expensive. All the engines I've worked on seemed about the same as far as the hassle factor goes - except the access issue.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #37
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
I am curious to know what type, and size, of boat you are hoping to power with one of these diesels?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #38
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Seevee,
How many parts do you think you’ll need?
I repowered w a Mitsubishi that most people wouldn’t even consider as it’s not very well known. But I think most choose an engine that will bring admiration and respect to it’s owner when mentioned on the dock ect.
In well over 10 years I’ve needed so few parts it probably wouldn’t matter if it were a Volvo. I think the biggest and most expensive thing I bought is a trans oil cooler and of course that had nothing to do w the engine brand.
What does one need to do to need a head gasket? Perhaps I’ve not needed one because I always warm my engine up slowly so engine parts can expand gracefully. And I idle for 5 to 10 minutes for cooldown.
IMO you need to do something wrong to need a head gasket.
Would I put my money where my mouth is and buy a Volvo? Probably if the circumstances were indicating that would be the best choice.
Nomad,

It it were ONE part that I had to wait several weeks for in 10 years it would be too much. In my case it was two fuel pumps, at $1000 each to 4 months and ruined the season. And a few other nickel dime things that were several hundred dollars. But rarely if any of the parts could be had in less than a week!

For my Yanmar, and my Mercs I could get any part wishing 24 hours and often the same day if I drove over to the supplier or distributor.

That's why I won't have a Volvo. Besides, I just hate the name.... sounds sexist.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #39
Guru

Seevee,
Well that’s how we choose our products.
What was the problem w the pumps? It’s interesting that both fuel pumps had the problem .. assuming they had the same problem. How’d that happen?

Re the name the only thing that bothers me is the Penta part. Why not just call them Volvos?
But “sexist”? Don’t even see a whiff of that.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #40
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
They were Volvo...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote