Employment Opportunities for Commercial Sailors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Howdy gang!

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'.

And if you don't, I'm Dave and I work on a commercial cargo ship on the Great Lakes. Specifically, I work for Grand River Navigation, which is a subsidiary of Rand Logistics. We're one of the largest carriers of raw materials on the lakes.

You're also probably aware of the massive labor shortage happening just about everywhere right now. My field is not immune to it. In fact, the pool of skilled mariners has been shrinking for years. As a result, we've had a tough time keeping our ships manned this season. It's the main reason that there haven't been any new additions to The Adventures of Sylphide lately. I haven't had enough time off to do any cruising since February.

Actually the labor shortage is only part of the reason that we're short handed. The other big factor is that we recently won a long term charter contract, which effectively doubled the size of our US flagged fleet. We went from five ships to ten pretty much overnight.

We need Mates, Engineers, Able Seamen, Ordinary Seamen, Cooks, and a few partridges in pear trees. There's even room for a captain or two.

So, since I know there are several commercial sailors here, and I know that many of you have kids, brothers, sisters, uncles, and some very talented pets who may also be looking for a job as a commercial sailor, I just wanted to extend an olive branch and invite you to apply at Grand River Navigation.

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I don't own the company, nor do I own any stock or stake in it. I don't stand to benefit directly from anyone here being hired, though it would be nice to have our ranks full again.

If this sounds like it might be something you'd be interested in, feel free to post, message me, or contact the company directly. You can do so by emailing Jobs@Randlog.com, or by calling 1.231.642.4643.

Thank you for listening to my presentation.

Love,

I read an article that the US Army is getting rid of their big watercraft...I am not sure of their personnel that were assigned...but they had quite a few 100 foot plus vessels including tugs and others..... may put out some feelers there too.

I used to work ore carriers as a relief years ago, it was fun but I never got used to the fresh water. I no longer have my license (medical reasons) but if I did I'd love to be working again. I still do a little fishing (just got off a commercial trawler as mate yesterday) but I don't think I can stand a steady diet of it anymore. The quality and availability of crew these days is deplorable, no one wants to work or learn. The crew on the boat I just got off made over 5K in five days of fishing and still whined about working too hard, seems they didn't notice the 68 year old that did the same work they did. 20210820_092443 (2).jpg

What a sad state of our nation when employers are literally begging for people to fill jobs. Even Rome only lasted so long and it imploded as well...the enemy is within.

Back
Top Bottom