Old 12-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #1

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
New LED ballasts and bulbs trawler interior

This hunt has been more complicated than I would have expected. I’ve also gotten frustrated with the goose chase online looking through all the options and typically even with specific typed criteria such as DC 12 volt and length, websites tend to expose me to options not sorted by the criteria. I have to get this done since we hope to begin our cruise in two weeks.
Here’s my situation. GB 42 Classic. We have 6 ceiling fixture’s (see pictures) only one of which has double ballasts, making it twice as wide as the others. All are the same frame length (14 inch opening with cover off as shown), and the ballasts are 9 inches as the exist, but can be replaced by longer if needed since there is space (2nd pic shows a ballast hanging down.) Both pics 1 & 2 should be rotated to right for proper orientation.

I just need replacement bulbs and a few spares in LED, Except for two replacement ballasts. I’ve been able to find the replacement bulbs if I wanted to stay with traditional lighting which I would prefer to not do. LED replacements should be configured like the one shown in the last pic below in order to fit in existing ballast in all places but the “Double Light” which needs ballasts. The 3rd pic is of an existing bulb that I’m looking for an LED replacement for, and the last pic shows the plug in side.

I suspect these are common and probably go beyond just the GB Brand. I’m hopeful someone here wii respond with “ I recently did mine and found what I needed at (fill in the blank) .com. ‘
Attached Thumbnails
C7BF7246-B607-4D5C-ADC2-913879E5D309.jpg   A8D83B19-9053-4A82-9933-D264FD31F757.jpg   01EE52D8-68C6-446F-B04E-4F38C4E945A9.jpg   96DE99CA-E308-4C76-890E-C1B70EE20231.jpg  
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
I’ll be surprised if you find something to plug right in. I took a different path and converted my old fixtures to use these. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/luna...net-bulb-9-led
I cut the supply wires and installed ba-15 sockets. That gives plenty of options for bulbs. I like the ones linked for the output. Just use double sided tape to hold them in position.

Edit, I used the warm white.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CR. Prior to the sale of our Cheoy Lee I replaced all the fluorescent lighting with LEDs.
VERY simple! All of the lights had a removable plastic diffuser over the bulb(s). The fixture resembled this and was either surface or flush mounted.

I removed the diffuser, removed the fixture, ripped out all the ballasts, light tubes and sockets and simply bought peel and stick LED strip lighting and stuck it on what is labeled the "cover" in the diagram. Wired the LED directly to existing wiring, re-installed the fixture and popped the diffuser back on. About 20 minutes per light.

I bought the LED strip and the end terminal fittings locally in Fort Lauderdale at Apollo Lighting. https://www.apollolighting.com/
I know you can buy this stuff on line but I'm a touchy/feely type guy and I want to actually LOOK at products I buy.

I also used insulated spade connectors to each fitting to make for easy removal if I ever had to. Easy polarization as well. + to female, - to male. With the spade connections I could do all my modifications "on the bench" then simply plug the suckers in!

Old 12-06-2022, 09:00 AM   #4
Guru

You could buy some LED strip lights (12 inch) and use those. They come with adhesive strips to mount them inside your fixtures. Easy peasy.
Amazon.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote