Electronic Tide tables ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
Are there any websites that offer any electronic tide tables for locations and dates ?
Similar to an Eldridge guide but more specific.
Example: I want to head north on this passage in the morning on June 12, What is the best time to travel with the tide ? Over simplified to explain what I am looking for. We are in an 8 kt trawler and sometimes a long passage is extremely long !!

Many chart plotters and tablet based nav apps have tide data. For example Aquamaps charts have a tide station about every 10 miles. You click on the tide icon and a graph of the tide variations over the day pops up. You can scroll forward however many days you want to see tides in the future. Same with currents but those data points are more dispersed.

A lot depends on the tide interface of the nav app you are using. Aquamaps is one of the easiest and most complete to use.

And of course, currents don't always flow in sync with tides.

David

I have been using a free app called "Tides near me" for a couple of years and it gives me what I need both in Florida and in the LI Sound area.

The BoatUS app has Tides.

TimeZero has both Tides and Currents.

I usually double check those against tides/currents from the NOAA websites, for any especially critical areas... or for planning a departure or landing that would work best at slack water.

-Chris

Navionics has tides and current direction and speed.

I have been using Tide Times. I especially like that it has a widget for your phone home screen. One thing that is a bother is that you have to retrieve the tide information for a location once with a wifi or cell connection. Once you do that the info for that location is stored on the phone and can be seen off line.

Have been using this program for at least 10 years, from XP to Win 10 and android. Works on everything.
Does everything and its free. Easily customised via menu's
WXTIDE32.COM

Ayetides.

On tablet and phone if you turn the device 90 degrees the screen changes from text to graphic. Choose your date and time. Thousands of locations world wide.

The only real need for a tide and current app is when entering or leaving a 'cut'. Then I guess anchoring to you know you put out enough rode and then, adjusting dock lines.

The only real need for a tide and current app is when entering or leaving a 'cut'. Then I guess anchoring to you know you put out enough rode and then, adjusting dock lines.

...or anywhere else on the ICW.

...or anywhere else on the ICW.

I draw about 3.5 feet, maybe 4th with all my stuff on board. I think I am safe in the ICW even at low tide with a good depth sounder.
When I brought my N46 (drawing about 5 ft) I never had a problem in the ICW. The only time I bumped the bottom was when the license capt crossed the spoil area when he was lining up to enter a cut.
I will admit, we spent a good deal of time outside especially at night.
Another point to remember, the buoys are usually reversed on private channels. We tried to take a private channel .... barely enough speed to maintain steerage.... bumped into what felt like a wall of clay.... it was years later, I remembered, we should have put the channel markers on the other side of the boat. LOL

Last edited:
Have been using this program for at least 10 years, from XP to Win 10 and android. Works on everything.
Does everything and its free. Easily customised via menu's
WXTIDE32.COM
Wow. That is still running! I was using WXTIDE 20 years ago when I was re-anchoring the Powell River hulk breakwater...

I usually like to know the state of the tide where I am. It would determine my actions, radio calls or telephone call if I needed assistance getting off the bottom.

There have been spots in the ICW for the last couple decades that would have been 4 feet or less within the channel at low tide....knowing the tide when approaching these areas was always helpful to me.

I would also like to know where the private ais are "reversed"....most if not all I remember seeing have been red right returning to the marina, lagoon, private dock, etc....definitely al, the marinas.

Many years ago, trying to get into a small marina..... 2 ways in. One was the private channel and the other conformed with the norm. When we failed with the private entrance, we back tracked and went in via a normal channel.

My main use of tidal info is currents. Southeast Alaska has currents everywhere always. With a 5.5 knot boat trip planning centers on tides.

Garmin BlueChart mobile gives the tide or current closest to the center of the chart position shown. Pretty easy.

Many years ago, trying to get into a small marina..... 2 ways in. One was the private channel and the other conformed with the norm. When we failed with the private entrance, we back tracked and went in via a normal channel.

Just didn't want newer boaters thinking they are "usually" reversed..

I usually like to know the state of the tide where I am. It would determine my actions, radio calls or telephone call if I needed assistance getting off the bottom.

There have been spots in the ICW for the last couple decades that would have been 4 feet or less within the channel at low tide....knowing the tide when approaching these areas was always helpful to me.

Ditto. We've seen several shallow areas during this trip on the ICW (e.g., Little Mud River) where knowing tidal info, especially height, has been important.

I've also been using current info for planning departures and arrivals, slack water being a nifty tool given we don't have thrusters. Had to pivot our stern way out off the dock in St. Simons the other day to back out around a big catamaran just behind us; doing that during slack water worked whereas I couldn't have done it during ebb, and flood could have flipped us around too far and uncontrolled.

There are also several marinas along the way that recommend arrival/departure at slack... the big three in Charleston, for instance... 'cause they have too many crashes otherwise.

In fact, it's gotten to the point where -- if we're gonna go into a marina next -- planning around slack water for marina choices, distances, and arrival times is pretty much our norm.

-Chris

Maybe I was not clear enough. I am looking for real time info on horizontal water movement direction and speeds. Hightide and low tide info is easy and readily available.

This is one of real time inputs..

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports.html

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute I know gets input from sensors all over the Chesapeake, NY, NJ areas...I helped with maintaining the sensors. Might look through their website or call.

Maybe I was not clear enough. I am looking for real time info on horizontal water movement direction and speeds. Hightide and low tide info is easy and readily available.
In post 9 I mentioned "PNW Current Atlas", have you dismissed it? That works better for me than expected

Hi TJM,

I have used a product called TideComp for many years. It does not have tidal flow data, but it does give a graphical display which, based on the rule-of-twelfths, and the gradient of the curve, should give a good indication. It was originally a paid for software but is now available FOC.

See www.pangolin.co.nz select Software and Tides. He has some other useful utilities.

I have not used TideComp in the ICW, only around Australia and west coast of Borneo, but the list of places with tide data for around the world seems comprehensive and could be sufficient for your needs. Interesting to get your comments.

So you are asking for information on current, not tide. Here in the Pacific Northwest, where current can be a huge issue, I've had great success with the Navionics electronic charts as they have information on current, both direction and speed, based on where you are on the chart at that particular time. The chart will also show you the same information for a future point in time. It's very helpful.

Last edited:
I use Aye Tides. Down load the app to your cell phone. Useful for planning when not on the boat with a plotter nearby.

So you are asking for information on current, not tide. Here in the Pacific Northwest, where current can be a huge issue, I've had great success with the Navionics electronic charts as they have information on current, both direction and speed, based on where you are on the chart at that particular time. The chart will also show you the same information for a future point in time. It's very helpful.

Tides Times also shows current info in locations where that data is available. See screenshot below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-211032_Tide Times.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-211032_Tide Times.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19
I would like to see the tide chart entries to be Lat and Long.
That way, the computer can do the math and guess at the desired location.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom