Electrical plug in question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folks that come visit in our area stay out of the water as swimming with 10-12ft gators seems more of a hazard than a non GFI power source.

Neutrals from inverter supported loads can not be commingled with neutrals from non inverter supported loads. It has to do with the inverter bonding relay not being as fast as the ELCI/GFI switch.

Hmmm...

And that's different from the possibility our inverter/charger case ground is tied to closely to the bonding system, yes?

If that's related to our specific problem, I think I'll have to eventually have an electrician translate that. AFAIK our inverter's AC output neutral goes to the main AC panel...

-Chris

Hmmm...

And that's different from the possibility our inverter/charger case ground is tied to closely to the bonding system, yes?

If that's related to our specific problem, I think I'll have to eventually have an electrician translate that. AFAIK our inverter's AC output neutral goes to the main AC panel...

-Chris

I honestly think that any diagnosis that says your ground is too close or too far from something is a serious red flag about the capabilities of the technician. Maybe there is some basis in what he's saying, but it certainly escapes me.

I think it's also important to know that commingled neutrals isn't a problem in and of itself. In the example that was given, it was actual problem is the way the ground to neutral bond is switched in and out based on which power source is being used. That was the root problem. Separating the neutrals was a work-around fix.

Shore GFI problem

The question came up to why I would want to add a GCFI to my shore power pedestal. The main reason is I want to make sure my boat will work at these upgraded marinas. Also, sometimes my boat may be gone and I have visitors use my dock. The canal I live on is used often by neighbors as a swimming hole. I want my boat and other visiting boats to not be a hazard.

Folks that come visit in our area stay out of the water as swimming with 10-12ft gators seems more of a hazard than a non GFI power source.

And what about the person that falls overboard? Should they experience ESD?

The question came up to why I would want to add a GCFI to my shore power pedestal. The main reason is I want to make sure my boat will work at these upgraded marinas. Also, sometimes my boat may be gone and I have visitors use my dock. The canal I live on is used often by neighbors as a swimming hole. I want my boat and other visiting boats to not be a hazard.

Yes, those are both good reasons. One of the state docks here with GFIs will only reset it two times, the third time you trip the breaker you either have to leave or stay without shore power. Better to rind and fix any problems before you run into a place you can’t plug into.

I honestly think that any diagnosis that says your ground is too close or too far from something is a serious red flag about the capabilities of the technician. Maybe there is some basis in what he's saying, but it certainly escapes me.

I've very likely paraphrased him to the point of nonsense. :)

I think it was about the inverter/charger case ground being almost directly on the bonding system, though... something like that. Not to worry, when I get a round tuit, I'll be having some other electrician come to check/do any actual work, and if what he says essentially agrees with what (I think) the earlier guy said, I'll be happy enough. Or... if it gets fixed correctly, no matter what, I'll be happy enough. :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom