electrical issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Hi,
A day or so after replacing the switch for the water pressure in the galley I noticed my battery charger status indicator wasn't working ( it seems like a coincidence...as I don't see how replacing the switch could cause this list of problems) but... then I realized A) the battery charger was not working at all, there were no indicator lights working on the charger. I took the charger apart checked the fuses and all where good B) no reading on the port engine voltage meter C) the 110 wired in heater doesn't work D) no light on the shore power panel.. and a few other misc. things that don't work.
The shore power DOES work as I have 110 through the outlets on the boat. It seems to me that the charger can not sense the voltage on the port engine. I have checked all the fuses, traced as many wires as I could with my volt meter and have run out of options. Any ideas?
Thanks

BC
A few more details would be helpful
- do you have power to non operable breakers
- what is brand, model and age of charger
- what is configuration for house and engine start batteries
- have you checked batteries with hydrometer
- does the 110 feeding the charger check out OK
- have you plugged charger into an operable off the boat receptacle

Last edited:
Any recent lightning activity? Any other boats report issues to the marina? Seems there has been some sort of voltage spike for shore or clouds.

Do you have an inverter? Is it possible dock power is out but outlets are on inverter?

Have you reset the 110v breakers? Maybe you have a tripped breaker.

If all else fails, get a volt meter and follow the electrons. You can start at the shore power cord or you can start at the battery charger.

Back
Top Bottom