Electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard77

Vessel Name
Reel Binder
Vessel Make
Orca Yacht
I have a pair of 6LPA engines. When I start one of the engines my oil, temp and rpm gauges are malfunctioning. RPM gauge does not show any readings the oil and temp gauge are both pegged out. I had this problem last year and chased wires. It seemed to possibly be something with the ignition switch or wires going to it. When I had unplugged or moved some of wires at ignition switch it starting working. I had cleaned all connectors off and it worked the whole year without any issues. I tried the same this year it isn’t working. Has anybody ran into this same issue before?

What make and model is a 6LPA?

Ted

This not uncommon. No, I do not have your engines so have not run into this specifically.

What you describe is likely loose, corroded or poorly done connections. THe fact you did a bunch of this last year and it worked tells me you have more to do.
Check the terminal crimps for signs of corrosion. Sometimes a recrimp with a GOOD tool will clean things up enough , then spray as below.

Do not ignore the ignition/start switch itself as they do wear and can fail.

Use a DMM to read voltages from the ign sw. as you operate the starting circuit.

Often there is a small relay close by the ign. sw. that powers the guages.
The switch itself only supplies a very small current to that relay which then supplies a much larger current draw to the guages, buzzers. alarms. Check for that relay and check that it itself has good power connections and good voltage.

Any plugs? THey can be trouble as the contacts oxidize. Carefully separate them. THe pins can often be cleaned of light oxidation with a pencil eraser. If need be cut into smaller pieces. THe sockets will be cleaned enough by plugging unpluging once or twice once the pins are cleaned.
Spray both sides lightly with something like WD40 or Corrosion X which will hold further corrosion at bay.
Be carefull with the plugs as bent/broken pins are trouble, expensive to replace.

Make notes as you go, use tape strips if needed. If you just undo a whole bunch of wiring you may have a rats nest defying sorting it out later.

I also add a smear of something like NoAlox to excluded further oxidation as I have cleaned the terminals. Screw terminals can benefit from this greatly.

Each screw terminal needs to be checked for tightness and cleanliness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom