Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ knotYet. I am not an expert, but electrical fields are produced by voltage and increase in strength as the voltage increases, even if there is no current. The electrical field is just there. The electric field strength is measured in units of volts per meter(V/m). I think it is measured with a field strength meter. Electricity is a strange and not completely understood phenominon, particularly by me:)

@ knotYet. I am not an expert, but electrical fields are produced by voltage and increase in strength as the voltage increases, even if there is no current. The electrical field is just there. The electric field strength is measured in units of volts per meter(V/m). I think it is measured with a field strength meter. Electricity is a strange and not completely understood phenominon, particularly by me:)

It sounds more theoretical than real, especially at 12V or 24V.
All matter has an electrical field. Your batteries, your boat, you...

That is hardly a stability report. I think the pages from the owners manual just show a meticulous, or perhaps merely, over-cautious owner, that knows how the vessel rides best by experience.

If this is the boat in question, she's quite lovely.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...g-range-displacement-flybridge-cruiser/228640

https://geofflovettint.com/pacifica-55-passagemaker-long-range-cruiser/

Nice boat, from the look of it it doesn't look like it would be a tender boat, also had a decent draft.
Possibly the P/O was really sensitive to the boats roll.. look at the flopper stoppers rigged on the boat for when at anchor.

HOLLYWOOD

In alot of boats, passengers sit very close to electrical systems (such as batteries) of significant power, usually for a considerable amount of time. Apparently the currents achieved in these systems and the short distances between the power devices and the passengers mean that the latter could be exposed to relevant magnetic fields. In my case approx 1000 amp 12v battery bank underneath the main cabins bed, around 12 inches below the bottom of the mattress. I'm wondering if the hazards of magnetic field exposure or electromagnetic radiation (EMR) must be taken into account?
Is it usual to put such a large storage of batteries under the bed you potentially spend 1/3 of your day on?
The previous owner of this particular boat has told the broker he doesn't want anything more to do with the boat as all his family members get sea sick on the boat and most other people aswell if they come aboard for any extended lenght of time.
The sea sickness could be enhanced by the relatively narrow beam to length of the boat aswell as the heavy steel superstructure which could make it a little rolley at times. It's a 55ft long, 15ft beam, 45 tonne steel displacement pilothouse cruiser. There is a stability report available on the boat which stipulates the necessary requirements for when cruising such as making sure fresh water tank is full, gray and black are empty, centre fuel tank is empty, the other 4 are balanced except for tank number 1 which needs to have 350 litres of fuel less than tank 4. The boat does have Naiad Stabilizers but still thinking it could potentially be quite rolley.
So there are 2 questions,
1 - could the close proximity of the batteries be a potential health problem OR add to the sea sickness of passengers through the EMF on a steel boat?
2 - could the build of the boat as described be a problem in anything but smooth cruising conditions?
I have been for a sea trial but unfortunately conditions were smooth.

If the P/O family is convinced it was EMF maybe they needed some of these?
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• tin foil hat.jpg
    tin foil hat.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 77
Nice boat, from the look of it it doesn't look like it would be a tender boat, also had a decent draft.
Possibly the P/O was really sensitive to the boats roll.. look at the flopper stoppers rigged on the boat for when at anchor.

HOLLYWOOD

I know. Naiads, flopper stoppers and she draws 6.5'.

It was a dark and stormy night and she brought me a plate of bacon.

So what's that got to do with the price of fish?

Whats this thread about? Oh, Electric Magnetic Fields ....
Ok then, as you were, carry on!

PS: Ok Ralsy, times up. Where are you at with this boat?

Our boat is shaped like an old bathtub on the bottom: ROUND. Without the Wesmar stabilizers, she rolls when making a tight turn at idle speed. But with the stabilizers, she's as comfortable as... well, as we want her to be. (Never been on another trawler so can't compare.) The only rolly situation is large quartering following seas.

I see many steel boats with aluminium super structure. Must be because they're trying to lower center of gravity to increase stability.

Google. “ meta centric height and stability.

Back
Top Bottom