Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Electric Boat Completes 1,400 Mile Voyage to Alaska under 100% Solar Power

Interesting to read. Nice to see people pushing the boundaries.

https://trends.nauticexpo.com/solbia...ENDS_highlight
Old 09-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Interesting to read. Nice to see people pushing the boundaries.
How much pollution and what was the size of the carbon foot print was necessary to build this project?
Old 09-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Probably the same carbon footprint as any comparable trawler. However his footprint ongoing should be a fraction.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Here are the people to really look at for advancements with solar and electric powered boats.

https://www.silent-yachts.com/

The founders started research in 2004. Started building a boat in 2009. Used it over 120 weeks until 2015. They launched the Silent 64 in 2016. It crossed the Atlantic and covered a total of 5500 NM in 2018. They now have a partnership with VW.

We happened to see the 60 and 55 as they were leaving the Cannes Yachting Festival about a week ago. We did not attend the festival but arrived in Cannes the afternoon after it was over and saw many boats that had shown as we approached and they all departed.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
19 days to Ketchikan from WA. without going ashore. No mention SOG.

A direct route 627NM. 627/7=89.5 hrs
Using trawler speed of 7kts that is 89.5 hours
Taking 19 days for same trip or 456 hours. 627/456= 1.4KTS average.

OK then. What is the whole story. 2-3 days to recharge and travel at 7KTS for 8 hours?
Old 09-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
19 days to Ketchikan from WA. without going ashore. No mention SOG.

A direct route 627NM. 627/7=89.5 hrs
Using trawler speed of 7kts that is 89.5 hours
Taking 19 days for same trip or 456 hours. 627/456= 1.4KTS average.

OK then. What is the whole story. 2-3 days to recharge and travel at 7KTS for 8 hours?

Well, they also stopped twice a day to hug trees ..
Old 09-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
There is a dearth of performance data in the websites mentioned here. I am guessing the power to overcome adverse conditions approaches the vulnerability of a glider in a thunderstorm.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Here are the people to really look at for advancements with solar and electric powered boats.

https://www.silent-yachts.com/

Bit of a reality check here

Quote:
Our boat has two 250kW (the equivalent of 335hp each) electric motors, an array of 30 solar panels on the roof with a maximum output of 10kW and a 210kWh battery bank.

Our 10nm mile journey on electric power took around two hours and during that trip the charge diminished from 65% to 48% (giving a theoretical range of 59 miles on a full charge)

There is some internal combustion going on, though, because there is a 100kW generator on board,

https://www.mby.com/reviews/flybridg...tric-catamaran
And WTF!!!!

Quote:

and a Hybrid, which mates two 14kW electric motors to a pair of 220hp diesel engines.
2 X 220hp diesel running to make electricity for electric motors?
Old 09-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
I noticed this was a Devlin built boat. There is some info on the build on his website.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I love to see the advances of electric power, but don't believe it's "prime time".....

Too many downsides and will take a long time to get there. Sure, there's some real benefits... solar panels, small boats for short runs (with big batteries).

I'll argue to just keep your good old diesel engine.... hard to beat overall. Same with cars and planes. Will be a LONG time before electric surpasses gas and diesel power.

Drill baby drill.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #11

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I love to see the advances of electric power, but don't believe it's "prime time".....

Too many downsides and will take a long time to get there. Sure, there's some real benefits... solar panels, small boats for short runs (with big batteries).

I'll argue to just keep your good old diesel engine.... hard to beat overall. Same with cars and planes. Will be a LONG time before electric surpasses gas and diesel power.

Drill baby drill.
Don't agree with the last sentiment at all, but do agree with the previous. I'm a huge fan of propulsion for automotive (just got a Model 3 last week. Wow.)

If you want zero carbon boating, you need a sailboat and either consistent wind or lots of patience. Physics means it's just really hard to collect enough energy from the sun to push a boat through the water for any length of time.

I think electric boat propulsion is great for an aux engine for a daysailer, or a dinghy motor to replace a 2-3hp outboard, but that should be done for reasons other than reducing carbon footprint, since either application generates a trivial amount of emissions.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
From Britannica.com

....In 1819 the Savannah became the first ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean employing steam power. Its small steam engine and pinewood fuel supply were good for only a part of the 24-day crossing. For most of the voyage the Savannah relied on a full spread of sail, but the voyage demonstrated the practicability of steam navigation on the ocean.....
Old 09-22-2021, 12:38 AM   #13

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Omanu
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
This one is a little bigger and more advanced. 30,000nm so far. They use a number of zero emissions systems.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/extrao...-wonder-132195
Old 09-22-2021, 04:45 AM   #14

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
This one is a little bigger and more advanced. 30,000nm so far. They use a number of zero emissions systems.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/extrao...-wonder-132195
That fourth form of power is interesting...I have wondered how I could capitalize hydro power while at anchor in a river or current.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #15

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
How much pollution and what was the size of the carbon foot print was necessary to build this project?
I would guess about the same as your boat but unlike yours, which continues to pollute, this one does not.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I would guess about the same as your boat but unlike yours, which continues to pollute, this one does not.
And when the batteries are done and need replacing?

Pollution to dispose of and manufacture new ones?
Old 09-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #17
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Don't agree with the last sentiment at all, but do agree with the previous. I'm a huge fan of propulsion for automotive (just got a Model 3 last week. Wow.)

If you want zero carbon boating, you need a sailboat and either consistent wind or lots of patience. Physics means it's just really hard to collect enough energy from the sun to push a boat through the water for any length of time.

I think electric boat propulsion is great for an aux engine for a daysailer, or a dinghy motor to replace a 2-3hp outboard, but that should be done for reasons other than reducing carbon footprint, since either application generates a trivial amount of emissions.
Your argument applies to your new tax payer subsidized Tesla. Green energy, be it solar or wind is animic. The majority of the public has no clue how much power is needed for day to day life. Green energy will not progress fast enough to supply the millions of batteries headed our way. Natural gas will have to supplement the upcoming demand. NG is in no way green. One full Tesla charge is 3 days of power consumption for the average home assuming house uses 30kwhrs/day. A 100 mile charge ( 29Kwhr) will double the person's energy consumption. This is all new energy consumption.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #18

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And when the batteries are done and need replacing? Pollution to dispose of and manufacture new ones?
I believe you are being disingenuous. Lithium batteries are 95% recyclable. After their 10 years of their service life your smoke bomb will have spewed unGodly amounts pollution into the environment. I always thought you guys were standing on your heads down there.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Red Stripe
Vessel Model: Monaco Cayman 35' diesel pusher
We have had diesel/electric locomotives for decades. Simple technology using a relatively small diesel motor to power a generator which supplies power to run the electric motors that drive the locomotive.

I've often wondered why nobody builds a boat in the 50' length range that uses similar technology. Electric motors to provide propulsion and the power for those electric motors coming from a relatively small diesel engine(s).

You guys who are a lot smarter than I am, what say you?
Old 09-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #20

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And when the batteries are done and need replacing?

Pollution to dispose of and manufacture new ones?
Yeah this has been studied to death. The goal is to replace the problems we have now with lesser, more easily solvable problems. There is no perfect energy source. Batteries fit that description. For decades we heard people yelling about the embedded energy in solar panels. It's a trivial issue, but one that's still dredged up every now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Your argument applies to your new tax payer subsidized Tesla. Green energy, be it solar or wind is animic. The majority of the public has no clue how much power is needed for day to day life. Green energy will not progress fast enough to supply the millions of batteries headed our way. Natural gas will have to supplement the upcoming demand. NG is in no way green. One full Tesla charge is 3 days of power consumption for the average home assuming house uses 30kwhrs/day. A 100 mile charge ( 29Kwhr) will double the person's energy consumption. This is all new energy consumption.
My Tesla is not eligible for the fed tax credit.

Again, this stuff has been studied to death. Yes, EVs just about double household energy consumption, but the demand is "dispatchable" - unlike most electrical loads, there's a lot options for exactly when to charge. I'm working on several projects right now where we attempt to match EV charging to electricity supply, absorbing excess wind or PV production.

All of these challenges are solvable technically, the biggest issues are in the regulatory sphere. And we have to solve them, we can't keep burning fossil fuels, no matter how easy and convenient (not to mention fun!) it would be.

As above, I do think recreational boating will be among the last sectors to de-carbonize. It's pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things.
Closed Thread