Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrew

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
We're considering heading out to the Cape Cod Martha's Vineyard area. It looks like we can anchor outside the harbor, and it should be fairly calm if winds out of anywhere but the north.

Is anyone familiar with this area? Particularly in Late July through August? I'm curious what the anchorage is like and whether it's crowded like Block Island, RI.

It looks like we can get a mooring, though we'd prefer to anchor whenever possible.

It has been 15 years since I was there. Yes it is crowded. Edgartown Harbor can be hard to get a mooring July/August. It is fine in settled weather to anchor outside Edgartown and the launch serves that area. Lake Tashmoo is an interesting harbor. Check it out on Active Captain.

You can also anchor outside the mooring field in Vineyard Haven, which we preferred as a base. We used our Whaler a lot. The Vineyard is very busy that time of year, every bit or more so than Block. We preferred picking up a mooring if we could. There is a very comprehensive bus system that serves the island. Another spot to consider is on the south side, Mememsha. No anchoring in the harbor, but in then right weather you can anchor off the beach; very pretty and laid back. On the way to and fro, spend a day or two at Cuttyhunk for an even more laid back scene, (mooring or anchor outside). Anchor in Tarpaulin Cove for a more wilderness type anchorage, and Hadley Harbor (often crowded) for a protected sylvan setting.

The Vineyard is incredibly crowded in July and August. That being said, it's not too bad as long as you are walking. Prefer the other end of the island as it's less crowded. Menemsha is very nice although a much smaller port. Anchoring in the Bite is a good option if you can't get a mooring in Menemsha Pond.

Ted

The Vineyard is incredibly crowded in July and August. That being said, it's not too bad as long as you are walking. Prefer the other end of the island as it's less crowded. Menemsha is very nice although a much smaller port. Anchoring in the Bite is a good option if you can't get a mooring in Menemsha Pond.

Ted
When I last went into Menemsha Pond there was nothing there including hardly any boats now you say there are moorings. I guess 50 years can change things.

Thanks folks. I had found the links for the harbor masters for the various ports. The crowds themselves don't bother me. it looks like we can reserve a mooring, so I'm not so concerned about that. What I'm concerned about is planning on anchoring to find no space in the anchorage. Curious how crowded it gets out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom