Economy and well built trawler, tight budget....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made it home with the new Willard on Sunday, three days out at sea. First day it was 8-10 ft swells and she handled it extremely well. So did the crew. We had a few hours of break in between some islands and than hit the Straights. Comox bay was actually the hardest water to cross in the three days. Steep swells with short seconds made for a choppy ride. Saturday was the best with sun and smooth water, one of the best days on the water - what a blessing.

So for those that say finding a nice little trawler (or troller) on a tight budget, look hard . This would be a perfect example of a great package at a reasonable amount. Yes there are projects but right now no heavy lifting. I'll take some pictures soon.

Cheers!

That's wonderful and I'm sure you'll not be sorry you bought a very good boat and paid more for it. I remember you were concerned at first.

How many Willards in Bham now? We have a few in LaConner and there are others on the sound. That makes us all a part of a community and all the better for it. Long time till the "rondy" though.

Got a slip in Bham? Covered 30' is about $270 in LaConner. Worth mentioning as I know there's no covered in Bham. There are at least 4 Willards in covered moorage in LaConner.

Sure glad you bought this boat.

Made it home with the new Willard on Sunday, three days out at sea. First day it was 8-10 ft swells and she handled it extremely well. So did the crew. We had a few hours of break in between some islands and than hit the Straights. Comox bay was actually the hardest water to cross in the three days. Steep swells with short seconds made for a choppy ride. Saturday was the best with sun and smooth water, one of the best days on the water - what a blessing.

So for those that say finding a nice little trawler (or troller) on a tight budget, look hard . This would be a perfect example of a great package at a reasonable amount. Yes there are projects but right now no heavy lifting. I'll take some pictures soon.

Cheers!

BIG congrats on successful crossing and fine boat purchase. May all your marine days be continued joy! :thumb:

Great idea, I do like being only fifteen minutes though from the boat. Having easy access is really important. We're more likely to enjoy a dinner cruise it cocktails and a night on the boat if it's only a few minutes away vs forty five. Right now that I am aware there is three other Willards in Bellingham. So ours makes four.

Cheers

Congrats on the boat and a successful voyage! We need PICS!!!

No thanks, no grace on that one...

Glad you made it home safe ,Great boat ! Look forward to pics and new post on the Willard . Thanks again for suggesting the Festol Rotex sander and mini vacuum . Great combination I used it today for several hrs . Very pleased .

T

Got a slip in Bham? Covered 30' is about $270 in LaConner. Worth mentioning as I know there's no covered in Bham. There are at least 4 Willards in covered moorage in LaConner.

Sure glad you bought this boat.

So I apologize for the thread creep but we looked in LaConnor this fall for a covered 35' slip for The Promise and there was none to be had. We couldn't get on a waiting list because we had to already be " a customer". Sad because we really want to be up there. The prices in Anacortes are stupid.

Dave,
Sorry that came to pass but covered moorage for bigger boats is tight. But there's at least a dozen 30' slips available. You could rent a slip for me .. be a "customer" and get on the waiting list.:flowers:

Eric,

That sounds like an interesting possibility next year. We found a reasonable priced covered slip on the ship canal for this winter and will likely want to find something covered up north next year.

Bryrick,

We went and snooped your new boat out yesterday. She is a beauty! I'll be around on Friday and give you a shout.

Bob

Cool, I either be there or in the shop.

New upholstery going in next week - should have the whole boat done by weeks end. Including a new canvas seat for the cockpit. Almost done with the new table for the salon - need to coat or two in epoxy and varnish/poly. Going to downsize the table to upsize the salon. Moving from a 24x36 fixed to a new 22x18 that opens to 36. I'll post pictures when I have a completed side. I found out that I need to fine tune my 45 angles I was working with 1/4" stock today trimming around the edges and found it quite a challenge. Either my tooth count is not high enough or I need to use a different tool. I tried the miter saw, table saw and band saw - best results were on the band saw but not perfect. I figure this first table will be in the salon for a few years and than I can make another. I really was raising the bar by ripping/making book matched sapele for the top, trimming with maple and than wrapping with walnut.

Back
Top Bottom