Economic indicator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
For the last couple decades, Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) has run a constant shuttle between Anchorage and Tacoma, using two Jones Act compliant 800' RO-ROs. Each of them cycling in 8 days, rt.

TOTE has maintained and upgraded these vessels, both now burning LNG.

I've been at dockside for four days now, and the North Star, across the channel has shown no signs of loading or movement. I'm hoping that her sister ship, Northern Lights is due in any day, but even so, the indicators for life in Alaska seem dire indeed.

BTW: thanks to my wife and Alaska Public Radio, I've actually made this voyage on this vessel.

Last edited:
It looks like its scheduled to head north friday.

For the last couple decades, Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) has run a constant shuttle between Anchorage and Tacoma, using two Jones Act compliant 800' RO-ROs. Each of them cycling in 8 days, rt.

TOTE has maintained and upgraded these vessels, both now burning LNG.

I've been at dockside for four days now, and the North Star, across the channel has shown no signs of loading or movement. I'm hoping that her sister ship, Northern Lights is due in any day, but even so, the indicators for life in Alaska seem dire indeed.

BTW: thanks to my wife and Alaska Public Radio, I've actually made this voyage on this vessel.

There is no Northern Lights RO-RO showing up on Marine Traffic, North Star does show up as being in Tacoma.

I think you mean the North Star and the Midnight Sun? The Midnight Sun shows docked at the Port of Anchorage as of now. Marine Traffic reports she may be due to leave today?

Last edited:
Is it an economic indicator or just one more sign of cascading supply chain issues?

IT's not a long term economic indicator. It is a short-term supply chain indicator. Covid shut down many, many plants who produce chips. Chips and oher imported parts are used in automobile manufacuturing, which has also spent the last year with production capacity cutbacks.

Couple this with the Rental Car purchase cycle. We find ourselves in a massive shortage of both new cars and used cars.

They don't ship the Ro-Ro's empty. Demand doesn't fill ships.

IT's not a long term economic indicator. It is a short-term supply chain indicator. Covid shut down many, many plants who produce chips. Chips and oher imported parts are used in automobile manufacuturing, which has also spent the last year with production capacity cutbacks.

Couple this with the Rental Car purchase cycle. We find ourselves in a massive shortage of both new cars and used cars.

They don't ship the Ro-Ro's empty. Demand doesn't fill ships.

TOTEM's business model is perhaps a bit different than those where most RO-RO's are used, I'd wager. Certainly ships cars to dealers and fleets, but mostly you see containers and truck trailers with various dry good cargoes, as well as custom vehicle and large equipment delivery.

I think you mean the North Star and the Midnight Sun? The Midnight Sun shows docked at the Port of Anchorage as of now. Marine Traffic reports she may be due to leave today?

Yes. Midnight Sun, my error. A typical port call for these two vessels is about 36 hours. Ops tempo is clearly way down.

The AK barging business is tied to some cruise ship re-stocking. Then add in passengers not availing themselves of shore offerings and other travel. Needless to say AK tourism is virtually non existent.

Charter fishing is booming with the lodges we’ve talked to full. Staffing various AK businesses is very tough right now too, whether seasonal or full time. Juneau Hertz still shut down yada yada.

Last edited:
Passage from Tacoma to Lopez Island, six hours yesterday and seven today.

Did not see ONE commercial vessel, inbound or out, except for two outbound tankers. Nobody to Vancouver either. Did pass four laden container ships and one cruise ship in the bight behind Blake Island.

Back
Top Bottom