Old 01-26-2022, 06:28 AM   #61
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero II View Post
I love the idea of a belt drive, but that eliminates the option of a derailleur (more gears).
There are decent internal hubs with 8 or 9 or so gears. Maybe more. Dunno if compatible with a belt drive, though... although that would sound good to me.

-Chris
Old 01-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #62
Guru

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
There are decent internal hubs with 8 or 9 or so gears. Maybe more. Dunno if compatible with a belt drive, though... although that would sound good to me.

-Chris
My non-e Tern folder has an 8 speed internal hub Shimano with a Gates belt drive. I’ve seen 11, 14 speeds and a CVT as well. I think the gold standard might be a Rohloff 14 speed.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #63

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero II View Post
I'm not sure what the regulations are in Oz, but you are describing a fairly low-powered bike. In the U.S. we have access to bikes up to 750 W and beyond. Also, we have access to eBikes that are not only pedal assist, but also have an independent throttle to allow you to start easily from a dead stop. I know they are not allowed in Europe. I love the idea of a belt drive, but that eliminates the option of a derailleur (more gears).
One reason NOT to go with high-powered bikes that haven't been designed extremely well is that the power can break the other components. A very good cyclist can put out 250w for 20min. The gears, cranks, etc. can handle that. But if you just use the same mechanisms for 750W or 1000W, at best you get much faster wear and at worst they just break - lots of evidence in the online bike forums.
However, while the law here in Oz currently says 250W maximum on-road, I do think that should be relaxed to 350W and possibly 500W if on a well-designed bike - or trike! Shouldn't forget the recumbents of course: I have a Greenspeed trike I'm going to electrify that should be great .

Now the good manufacturers have done the work to make it work - tube size, connections, etc. But not all have, and people are still buying DIY 750 and 1000's to put on bikes that just won't take the power.

Now, there's also the cost in weight of bigger motors - they are heavier and while it doesn't make as much difference if they're in the bottom bracket as mid-drives, it does if they are hub motors in smaller (20"/24") wheels. As always, while the motor is working the extra weight is fine (except when lifting it on/off the boat!), but when it inevitably stops at some point, riding that bike will be much harder (if geared motor) or absolutely horrible (if not).

IGH - the Rohloff has more gears than you can get with a rear derailleur, and add in a Schlumpf forward and it's more than is possible with *any* derailleur (I believe). Look at the Pinion as well, or at the Alfines for fewer gears and much cheaper. All are sealed so no problem in salt water environment, as against the chain and derailleur which won't last (actual length of time dependent on lots of things though). On the other hand, a derailleur is much, much, much cheaper .

I've never needed the throttle - the IGH can be shifted when you're still at lights or waiting, so starting in the right gear is not a problem. And power off the line when you can bump to maximum assist and the right gear has never been a problem!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

City: Deltaville, Virginia
Vessel Name: Next Chapter
Vessel Model: 34' Marine Trader DC
I have two Electric Bill Communications - Creative Design Studio | Raleigh, NC bikes. They are about 900 bucks each delivered to your door and will travel up to 28mph. They do fold but have never needed to do that. They are heavy with a 10amp battery weigh about 62lbs each. I have 1200 miles on them so far. It would be difficult to move them from boat to dinghy without using the boom.
nobles9596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #65

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
I have 5400 watt e-scooter for my summer cruiser,keep it stored onboard and totally love it
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #66
Guru

City: Boston Area
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is there are 2 very distinct types of ebikes. One that has the motor in the rear wheel hub and one that has the motor in the bottom bracket, ( the front sproket ). There are substantial differences and it's been too long since I was knowledgeable about them for me to list them, but if you are going to buy one, you should know the differences.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #67
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is there are 2 very distinct types of ebikes. One that has the motor in the rear wheel hub and one that has the motor in the bottom bracket, ( the front sproket ). There are substantial differences and it's been too long since I was knowledgeable about them for me to list them, but if you are going to buy one, you should know the differences.
Yes, mid drive (at the crank) vs hub drive. Mid drive definitely elevates the price point we'll above $2k, perhaps $3k. Biggest benefit is because it turns the pedals, you benefit from the gearing. It places a lot of stress on the chain and running gear. I believe these are pedal assist as you must be pedaling to activate. Hub drive is a motor that can often be used as a throttle only.

There are many components that separate the low price bikes from mid price from expensive.

Motor is one. Even amongst hub drive, there is a wide selection of quality. Geared drive is best as it gives mechanical advantage. The one I purchased as up to 9 output settings.

Brakes. Hydraulic disc (best) vs mechanical disc (better) vs rim-grip, the traditional style. Hydraulic was important to me as the bike will do up to 28 mph.

Suspension. I really wanted decent front fork suspension. Some low priced bike have it but it sucks.

Battery capacity.

After that, there is a bunch of stuff that is nice to have. Trigger shift vs twist handle.

Unlike Europe, many US communities are placing restrictions on eBikes. Mostly, fall out from the escooter rental fleets many communities are dealing with. EBikes must now be badges with size of motor (750 is often the max in US, but 250 is common in Europe) and what class they are (Class 2 are governed at 20mph, Class 3 at 28 mph).

Very dynamic landscape right now.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #68
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
We plan on getting two folding Rad e-bikes in the Fall - a RadMini 4 for me and a RadMini Step-Thru 2 for my wife. Love the fact that I can fold than and stand them up in the bed of my truck, under the cap, and still have room in the truck bed for other stuff.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #69

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: RumRunner
Vessel Model: GB36 Classic 1980
Scooter

We have recently purchased a couple of Ninebot 30lp scooters. Range about 40km and weight is a about 38 lbs. Very compact compared to a bicycle. very satisfied.
kdebelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #70

City: Cape Coral
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
There used to be a 2cycle gas motor that would drive the bike by metal wheel rubbing on the tire. I had one for about 6 months and sold the motor at a profit and gave the bike away. I do not recall the brand.
Wizard shipped a lot of these.
NVR II Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #71

City: berkeley
Vessel Name: formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Model: Willard 30/40
Be aware that carbon fiber is a weak conductor of electricity. For that reason, every screw on a carbon mast has to be electrically isolated from the carbon. Otherwise, in the marine environment, you have a simple carbon battery to eat away each fitting. So a carbon bike on a boat might not be the best long term idea.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #72

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Yesterday's Dream
Vessel Model: 37 Palmer Tri-Cabin Trawler
I built a nice ebike out a dahon last year for my wife, and after 6 weeks on the water last summer I'm building myself one this spring - already got the bike off Craigslist. I see you had a dahon in the past, but I like the way the newer ones fold up, much like a brompton. I lock it up covered on the top deck and it is always out of the way, easy to dingy in, and makes the islands easier to explore. When you build your own you can add as much battery capacity as you like, and pick the motor you want. Here is a great website with a deep dive and FYI on everything ebike related. Even though it is located in Canada it is a great resource to answer every question you may have. www.ebikes.ca
Old 01-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #73
Guru

City: Victoria B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
Be aware that carbon fiber is a weak conductor of electricity. For that reason, every screw on a carbon mast has to be electrically isolated from the carbon. Otherwise, in the marine environment, you have a simple carbon battery to eat away each fitting. So a carbon bike on a boat might not be the best long term idea.
Same with carbon fibre boats!
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #74
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Instead Of
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
We bought folding Volt bikes (voltbike.com) urban step-thru. They store nicely in our cockpit, and we used them all over the Gulf Islands (we are in the Pacific Northwest) this past summer. Take the battery out (just slides out) and they are 45lbs. Had so much fun and saw much more scenery than we would have otherwise.
Key concern regarding e-bikes is the size of the wheel. We talked to one owner who had 26” regular bike wheels, and his motor would not take him up steep hills. When he changed to a Rad bike with 20” wheels with the same motor, it had enough torque to take him up steep inclines. Something to be aware of when choosing a bike. Cheers
Sailinggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #75
Veteran Member

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: Tiffany
Vessel Model: Apollo 32
I tested a number of E-bikes when a medical issue lifted my driving privileges for 6 months and I needed something that would enable me to cover 20+ kms trips about town as well the odd 35 kms trip to the boat with some tools and provisions. After testing a half dozen I settled on a Gazelle Ultimate 10, a superbly built Dutch bike from a family operation of 125 years. The dutch really go through the details of daily bike use as family transport and have an eye for detail. A duel purpose machine, the Gazelle handles trails and city; strong Bosch motor and integrated control with top quality Shimano brake and gear parts. Details like all stainless fasteners and double-walled rims with puncture resistant tires complete the package, completely. https://www.citecycles.com/gazelle-u...887&quantity=1
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #76

City: Punta Gorda
We tried e-bikes and found them to be too much trouble. Plus we never used them because most things were within walking distance on the islands.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #77
Veteran Member

City: East Coast US
Vessel Name: FUNGIRL
Vessel Model: Transpacific Eagle 40
We keep two Rad Mini's on our 40 ft Transpac. They are a little bulky and heavy, but I've perfected the process of getting them in my dingy (one at a time) and getting them ashore. They are great to have! We explored most of Martha's Vineyard on them last summer. You will figure out a system for getting them on and off the boat. At a dock is no problem, by dingy its a little more of a dance. Keep them covered and out of salt spray. Keep the batteries inside. Charging from the Genset or shorepower works fine.
CaptGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #78

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
We've had 2 Swagtron EB-5s for a couple of years & they've been a blast. They're priced right, fold up small & only weigh 37 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/SWAGCYCLE-Ele...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #79

City: Franklin
We purchased 2 SDreamUr 500X folding bikes, rear rack, fenders, hydraulic disc brakes, 20" wheels, 47 lbs with battery, Magnesium alloy frame, 500W motor, approximately $1,100 each. We are very happy with them. https://sdream.bike
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #80
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We have a couple of Magnum Premium folding bikes. Great suspension. Great range. Ride like a bigger bike. Adding a hoist to get them up to the bridge deck from the dock or dinghy.
henrymei is offline   Reply With Quote