eBikes - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't read thru this whole thing, so I apologize for any duplication, but e-bikes came up in a recent conversation with my insurance agent, during which I learned two things: 1) many homeowner policies have an exclusion for e-bike liability, and 2) some battery types are especially prone to spontaneous combustion and some policies have related exclusions.

Just bought this bad boy. 30 mi range and up to 20 mph. Simple and easy to carry on board.

I feel 20 years younger.

Attachments

• Scooter1.jpg
    Scooter1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Scooter2.jpg
    Scooter2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 13
This post will probably be only of interest to European readers, as the brands I speak of here are only practically available in Europe.

I have been researching replacement folding eBikes for some time now.
My old bikes (link below) provided respectable service for about 7 years, but their time has come to an end. The salt has taken its toll and I now find them too heavy and difficult to fold/unfold/store and manage. 21.8kg (48 lbs). Not worth spending money on to fix up for so many reasons.

https://www.svb24.com/en/seatec-blizzard-pro-electric-folding-bike-blue-with-transporation-bag.html

To address my concerns about weight and corrosion (at least to some extent), I have gone the direction of carbon fiber. Just ordered a pair of REVOLT Carbon Fiber Pro folding eBikes:
https://revoltbikes.nl/e-bikes/carbon-fiber/
13.8 kg (30.4 lbs). Also about 15% smaller when folded, while still having 20" wheels. This company will be coming out with belt-driven models in the middle of 2024. I thought long and hard about them, as they're cleaner and less fussy than a 7-9 speed derailleur/chain setup. But, in the end, I decided to stay with the derailleur/chain model because we travel in a lot of remote places and parts for belt-propulsion models are not readily available. Further to this, one has to go through a tedious re-tensioning of the belt if the rear wheel is ever removed for, say, tire repair.
The company has been extremely great to deal with so far. The price includes shipping to all corners of the EU. I have ordered them from my desk in Sweden, but they will ship to my Marina in Greece such that delivery will occur while I am there to receive them.
We shall see how this all goes. I will come back here to post my experience and impression with the bikes when I receive them in Greece during the first week of June.

Nice bikes and light as well. Much lighter than the bike we have on board. We had an E-scooter which is nice for my wife, but with me on it the battery drains in less than 10 km, so had to find something else.
This winter we bought a foldable e-bike, which can do about 40 km on the battery. Had an old cover lying around, so made a bag for the bike of it and hopefully that will be enough to keep the corrosion away.
As far as keeping the derailleur and chain corrosion free I spray them with a special oil (have to look up the brand again) after every trip. Have no idea how long the bike will last, also no idea how we will like using it this upcoming season, but using it now while we are not yet on the boat I must say it is OK. Only problem may perhaps be getting it into the dinghy and then to shore. All kinds of sharp edges, don't want to damage the dinghy.

We bought a pair of Jetson Bolt Pro 14 inch with pedals last Fall for this winter. Turns out we used them once because we were either at anchor or on a mooring ball. They’re great if in a marina. Loading and unloading them from a dinghy (mid 40’s pound wise) was just too much for us. We need something 30 pounds or less.

We bought a pair of Jetson Bolt Pro 14 inch with pedals last Fall for this winter. Turns out we used them once because we were either at anchor or on a mooring ball. They’re great if in a marina. Loading and unloading them from a dinghy (mid 40’s pound wise) was just too much for us. We need something 30 pounds or less.

I do agree that my bike is pretty heavy and rather clumsy to handle if it is not in a bag.
Loading it in the dinghy I don't worry about, I will use the hoist to get it from the top deck (where we store it) into the dinghy. It is the part from the dinghy to the shore that is going to be interesting, will have to see how that will work out. Very well possible that this bike we bought is simply too heavy, without battery it is about 40 lbs.
However, we plan to remain in anchorages this season for at least 1 or 2 weeks each time, so I will bring it to the shore and then leave the bike there for the whole time, just locking it like I am used to in the Netherlands. That way I don't have to drag it along every single time.
That is the plan anyway, no idea if it will work out as planned. :ermm:

The battery itself is something I do worry about after all the news of self igniting batteries, so will make a metal box with styrofoam inside and then keep that outside where I can throw it overboard real easy if that would be necessary. Am not happy with those batteries, it is definitely a point of attention.

Have two but after a few weeks decided to leave them home. Not bad to get them on and off in a slip. But difficult if on an anchor or mooring. Perhaps if I had a bigger boat wouldn’t be such an issue. We have a freedom lift and no crane so it means manhandling them. Can only transport one at a time in the dinghy. Now with it easy to rent when in tourist areas haven’t missed them much. Have thought about non E. Fold better, smaller and lighter. Maybe I’d lose my gut.

We are real bike fanatics.
Last summer I bought two Sparta folding bikes and cycled more than 1000 kilometers in 2 months.
They are not lie in weight but are very solidly built, and ride like an adult bike.
Range is more than adequate with the choice of the middle battery (400WH), a lighter one (300WH) and a heavier one (500WH) are also available.
Furthermore, high-quality components such as Boch mid-motor, hydraulic brakes and Simano acceleration.

https://www.spartabikes.com/nl-nl/sparta-d-wiz-fold/

We were actually most-impressed by a Carbon Fiber folding eBike called "Hummingbird". Made in the UK. It ticked all our boxes and then some. Only 10.3 kg (22.7 lbs), which is amazingly light.

https://hummingbirdbike.com/products/electric#parentHorizontalTab2
HOWEVER... we could not justify the cost. ~5,700 USD before adding any accessories and shipping charges. Further to this, we would worry that they would be an extremely attractive theft target.
$5,700 x 2 would buy an awful lot of taxi rides...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom