Old 01-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #21

City: Boulder city
I purchased a pair of ariel rider m-class e-bikes for our trip from Racine, WI to Deltaville, VA. We put a little over 300 miles on them they ran flawless. They are all aluminum compact frame 20" wheels. They are non folding. I had one flat tire when I nailed a pot hole at 20mph. We stored them on the flybridge on the erie canal and rough weather and on the bow for short hops.
We take the batteries and seats off to lift them on the flybridge.

Paul
Speedsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Plan to store our two on our covered and enclosed aft sundeck. Currently have two 6' fender boards, with pads, stored on stbd side. Have not used them in three years, so they will get tossed (or given away) and the folding bikes will fit there nicely, strapped down. All-in weight per bike is 51 lbs - not the lightest, but I can still handle that ok. And if we dock on our port side we could use the dingy hoist to off-load them if necessary. Thought about bags (nice ones @$30 on Amazon), but if the sundeck storage works, we won't need them.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
My wife has a power assisted Catrike Trail folding recumbent trike and Iím not ready to give up my Trek Marlin mountain bike powered by a 77 year old. When our new Helmsman arrives, we plan to carry them on the boat deck and use the Nick Jackson hoist to handle them. Any suggestions on keeping them dry and corrosion free?
I had a Trek Marlin, stored on my boat deck, with a bag slipped over the top and down to the deck. Not much rust on the bike over 7 years, but as I noted above, the disc brake calipers started to fail. The brakes would still work perfectly, but they would not fully release after being applied.

So after every use of the brakes it was stop, push the cable at the caliper with my fingers to fully release the brakes, and get back on. Not all that feasible if you needed to brake often! I was about to get the calipers replaced when a burglar stole it and two other bikes from my house.

Maybe frequent Boeshield or whatever would delay the inevitable. But be prepared for some bikeshop R&M work. With a good bag you may only have to get new calipers every 7 years or so.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #24

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
I’ll give that a try. Replacing my mountain bike wouldn’t be a big deal but my wife’s recumbent trike would be a bigger issue. We had it specifically configured with all controls on the left since she can’t use her right hand. Folded up, it might fit in the salon and not be in the way. Thanks for the suggestion.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:50 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I got a chance to ride a Jetson 12”. Nice. Would have bought one except they could not deliver before we left Ft Myers. Only 35# or so. Same as a 20” dahon. Also less than $400 with some scratch and dent returns for $250.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #26
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
At my age and physical condition, I would need a folding 3 wheel electric bike that weighs less than 30 pounds.
I am sure they are out there but at what price, about $2K i would imagine.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #27

City: Victoria B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
At my age and physical condition, I would need a folding 3 wheel electric bike that weighs less than 30 pounds.
I am sure they are out there but at what price, about $2K i would imagine.
Indeed, then this wheelchair accessible catamaran might be a good option for you. Catamaris Yachts...Catmar 64, wheelchair accessible.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I decided to stick with a manual bike.

I pick up my new cruising bike hopefully this afternoon.
Good approach to the problem, Kevin. Mind sharing the price tag with us? Thanks
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
+1

https://ridecarbo.com/products/carbo...32332131598399

Get a waterproof backpack instead of putting on a rack on the bike. I use a Dakin. That way can carry heavy stuff (food/drink, hardware) but loading/unloading two simple pieces of manageable weight and easy to deal with in the dinghy. Set up has nothing to rust and can be left outside locked. Donít do it. Not visible = not stolen.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:44 PM   #30
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
+1

Get a waterproof backpack instead of putting on a rack on the bike. I use a Dakin. That way can carry heavy stuff (food/drink, hardware) but loading/unloading two simple pieces of manageable weight and easy to deal with in the dinghy. Set up has nothing to rust and can be left outside locked. Donít do it. Not visible = not stolen.
A high quality backpack is a necessity. I've had a large-ish North Face for about 5-years that has taken a beating without a hiccup. I have often loaded it with 40-lbs of stuff and it's still going strong.

But for cruising, I really need a semi-cargo bike sometimes. In the last year, I've had to transport a Windlass and a starter motor on a bike to a repair shop. Having a strong rack is really helpful.

I have some research on decision factors for me that I will post soon (type of motors, brakes, etc). It's a difficult decision for me.

Peter
Old 01-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #31

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
+1

When we got our Carbo bikes they were offering free fenders and rack which was a nice upgrade. We use these snap on Panier bags that can hold quite a bit of groceries and connect/disconnect easily. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #32
Guru

The Carbo looks like a nice bike.
Now, I wonder if I can put on training wheels to make it into a 4 wheeler, my balance is shot the hell when it come to riding a 2 wheeler.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
No way would I let my wife have a bike of any kind. She is too clumsy for a bike. We would be in the ER every week or in rehab for the broken bones. Not so sure I would be trustworthy on a bike either.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #34

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
My wife loves her recumbent tricycle. She got in April and has ridden just under 1,000 miles. It has power assist so hills are no problem.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
We have a couple of Rads. We can walk them off and on the boat when we are in a marina and on board they live under a tarp secured with bungee cord in the aft cockpit. We took them up to the San Juan's last summer and they were a game changer. They took us to hikes that started too far from the boat to be feasible otherwise on San Juan Island and Lopez Island. They also made the ride from Roche into Friday Harbor a pleasant ride which is a chore on regular bikes due to the hills. We do lock the bikes and have motion alarms on them.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #36

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I decided to stick with a manual bike.

so... i went to a real bike shop and sat down with the owner to configure the perfect bike for a cruiser. We spent time discussing how I intended to use the bike, the expected conditions, my physical ability, etc...

*Very light weight (around 27 lbs) to make it easy to get on and off the boat
* the most corrosion resistant components he can use in the build
* hydraulic brakes to eliminate mechanical cables and improve braking
* 4.25" tires to ride on the beach and get over obsticles
* a 1X12 gear set for reliability
* high handlebars for a upright stance
* a nice basket for provisioning
* fenders because it does rain

There were no mass produced bikes that are built to do exactly what I want to do, but that is the beauty. He is building my new get around rig to me specifications. A custom solution.

I pick up my new cruising bike hopefully this afternoon.
Great solution. I think I will copy this idea when it's time for new bikes. We brought some (approx) 20-year old Specialized brand hybrid bikes when we moved on the boat. They looked great when we started about 2.5 years ago, but are showing more wear in 2.5 years of boat life than the previous 20 years of Arizona/garage life. The custom build, but still pedal power, is the way we will likely go. I like that idea.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #37
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
For those of you looking at tricycles take a look at Worksman Bicycles. They make lots of different styles and have electric conversion kits for them. They also make all kinds of industrial bicycles. Very interesting website. Many years ago I had one of their folding bikes with a gas motor on it. I could carry it in the back of my Cessna 172.
https://www.worksmancycles.com/
Old 01-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #38
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
But for cruising, I really need a semi-cargo bike sometimes. In the last year, I've had to transport a Windlass and a starter motor on a bike to a repair shop. Having a strong rack is really helpful.

I have some research on decision factors for me that I will post soon (type of motors, brakes, etc). It's a difficult decision for me.

Agree.

FWIW, I think a front suspension is a kinda nifty option, but I prefer no rear suspension in order to get a better/stronger rack. And then we usually mount a milk crate on that rack so we can throw stuff in there...

Combo of handlebar bag, backpack, crate... I can haul a bunch of stuff relatively easily.

I can't get excited about the extra weight of an eBike... and not even sure it would offer me any useful utility. Partly since pedaling is another bit of exercise that I probably need and doesn't hurt me too much (yet).

-Chris
Old 01-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #39
Guru

Trike with an insulated box to tote fresh groceries on the front and basket on the back to tote parts?
Oh I forgot, a rack bells to warn people and a head light and tail light (power supplied by a small generator that is tire driven)
That should do it.
Paint Good Humor on the box too.
Dont forget the dry ice
Old 01-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
No way would I let my wife have a bike of any kind. She is too clumsy for a bike. We would be in the ER every week or in rehab for the broken bones. Not so sure I would be trustworthy on a bike either.

My wife use to be an avid cyclist and athlete. Hadn't been on her bike in a few years and has become more sedentary. Last winter we were together for a month in Florida. She decided to get back on the bike. Told me to go do my 12 mile daily circuit while she practiced around the neighborhood. When I returned, the bike was lying next to the back door, not good. Trip to the urgent care facility to immobilize a broken wrist bone. I had to drive her back to Illinois and spend a week between covid clearance tests, surgery, and beginning rehab. Bike with be sold. If you get off for a few years, donít get back on.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote