Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Like many I have done the same job in various ways but never seen this. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #22

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
John, I was taught that trick many many years ago to make repairs on the old A-6's.

mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #23
FF
Guru

GREAT concept!! Thanks,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #24
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
That's a great idea. Here is another way I have enlarged holes. Take a piece of material such as 3/4" plywood and drill a hole in it the size you need. Apply some double sided tape (carpet tape works well) to the plywood and secure it over the hole you need to enlarge. Now you have a guide for the larger hole saw to run in. Pull off the guide when finished.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
John, as I recall from 2017, you and Tom from ASD were in Ketchikan grappling with a hole needed for a new windlass.....Tom's boat. Would this trick have worked for him? Thanks for a very good idea that I'll use in the future. Are you going to Mexico in 2019?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
That's a great idea. Here is another way I have enlarged holes. Take a piece of material such as 3/4" plywood and drill a hole in it the size you need. Apply some double sided tape (carpet tape works well) to the plywood and secure it over the hole you need to enlarge. Now you have a guide for the larger hole saw to run in. Pull off the guide when finished.
That’s the way we enlarged a whole for a new windless on ASD last year up In Ketchikan. Mainly because hole saws were hard to find in the right size. We still needed to rasp the hole because we couldn’t get a blade large enough. But we did have a good buddy by the name of Ketchikan Al who helped out a ton with tools and moral support.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
John, as I recall from 2017, you and Tom from ASD were in Ketchikan grappling with a hole needed for a new windlass.....Tom's boat. Would this trick have worked for him? Thanks for a very good idea that I'll use in the future. Are you going to Mexico in 2019?
See above regarding the “Ketchikan Job” and the plan is to depart Portland in June or July, slow boat down the coast and play tourists while waiting until October to enter Mexico. Hurricane season should be almost over by then.
Right now we are getting Pairadice repaired/upgraded for that trip as it will probably be almost a year long cruise.
Have an AA for me will ya, and hope next years cruise up North is as good as this year for you and the Admiral.

Cheers Buddy
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
If you are using bi-metal hole saws, you won't be able to put two saws on the same mandrel. Starrett makes an adapter that replaces the center drill with a small mandrel that allows you to mount a bi-metal hole saw inside another one. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...y-qNBo3zc81kfT
Waywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Forehead slapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Recently we had a failure of the Shore water regulator. Of course the regulator that I replaced 2 years ago is no longer made. And the replacement, requires a larger opening in order to fit. Seems the manufacturers decided the “new and improved” requires a 3 1/2 “ opening. Wouldn’t ya know it, the old regulator fits in a 3” opening.
So how do you easily increase the opening?
Guess I could have used a big burr in the drill and ground away at the existing opening to make it fit. But I really wanted a clean opening, and I’m pretty sure the big burr would most likely get away from me and cause more damage then I wanted.
Called my “go to Guy”, Jim Palmer, who runs Palmer Marine and he sent his son out to get the hole enlarged for me. After watching how he enlarged the hole for me, I thought I would share this neat trick with you all.
In the picture below you’ll see that he installed both the 3” and the 3 1/2” bits in the hole saw tool. By using the 3” bit as a guide, he was able to make a very clean new hole.
As an extra hint, when starting the cut, make sure you you run the drill in reverse to get thru the gel coat, or first layer. Once that is done you can use the drill in normal mode or stay in reverse. In reverse, it takes a bit longer, but easier to control.
After drilling, we cleaned up the hole a bit, mixed up some 2 part West systems epoxy and coated the raw surface to seal up. Installing the new regulator went pretty simply, used some Sikaflex as a sealant and done!
As a bonus, the new regulator has a pressure reduction to 65 PSI versus the original only had 45. Admiral loves the new pressure, and after checking to make sure we hade no problems with leaks, another job is ticked off the list.

Great solution.... this is what you call a forehead slapper....why didnt I think of that!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #30

City: Panama City FL
Fresh water bulkhead connector/regulator replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Recently we had a failure of the Shore water regulator. Of course the regulator that I replaced 2 years ago is no longer made. And the replacement, requires a larger opening in order to fit. Seems the manufacturers decided the “new and improved” requires a 3 1/2 “ opening. Wouldn’t ya know it, the old regulator fits in a 3” opening.
So how do you easily increase the opening?
Guess I could have used a big burr in the drill and ground away at the existing opening to make it fit. But I really wanted a clean opening, and I’m pretty sure the big burr would most likely get away from me and cause more damage then I wanted.
Called my “go to Guy”, Jim Palmer, who runs Palmer Marine and he sent his son out to get the hole enlarged for me. After watching how he enlarged the hole for me, I thought I would share this neat trick with you all.
In the picture below you’ll see that he installed both the 3” and the 3 1/2” bits in the hole saw tool. By using the 3” bit as a guide, he was able to make a very clean new hole.
As an extra hint, when starting the cut, make sure you you run the drill in reverse to get thru the gel coat, or first layer. Once that is done you can use the drill in normal mode or stay in reverse. In reverse, it takes a bit longer, but easier to control.
After drilling, we cleaned up the hole a bit, mixed up some 2 part West systems epoxy and coated the raw surface to seal up. Installing the new regulator went pretty simply, used some Sikaflex as a sealant and done!
As a bonus, the new regulator has a pressure reduction to 65 PSI versus the original only had 45. Admiral loves the new pressure, and after checking to make sure we hade no problems with leaks, another job is ticked off the list.
I went thru multiple units over the years and after realizing that while the female hose connector is metal, the stub on the backside of this connector was just ‘potted’ into plastic in front of the regulator portion of the assembly. A definite weak point as just a bit of torque on the hose after it is connected to the unit will pull the female connector out of the plastic.
I called the mfg and they told me that while they were aware of the failure mechanism, they had no plans to change their design.
I got tired of replacing them and went with another vendor, who’s unit is all metal. The downside with the unit is that it does not have an integral regulator, so I have installed one just inboard, screwing it into the back of the unit.
Of course the new unit requires a smaller hole in the bulkhead, so I fabricated and installed a plate out of starboard and mounted the unit to it.

Erben Renewal is offline   Reply With Quote