Old 08-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: West coast
E ticket ride in the rapids?

This captain (Camino 31?) doesn’t seem to require tide tables.

Screenshots from a video that wouldn’t upload.
Attached Thumbnails
DA44073F-0297-4125-818C-869FD80EF98C.jpg   7592B539-BD94-4FE1-827C-90F4CE0873A8.jpg   E8C8DD21-1FEE-49DC-8B83-BB1EA22A006E.jpg  
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
stabilizers would help
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Assuming the captain is a married man, I hope (for both of their sakes) his wife was not along for this misadventure. It may sound sexist to assume the "Captain" is a man, but I am confident that no woman put herself in such a situation.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Guru

It got worse but the tree blocked it. Spun 90 degrees.

Skookumchuck Rapids not to be messed with.
Up to 16 knot current.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Heard about this on Saturday, a Camano Troll in the rapids at the wrong time. All wet inside the boat when they stuffed the bow with the front hatch not secured. Arrived at the Garden Bay docks with both hus and wife extremely agitated. No wonder!
I don't know what time they headed into the rapids, but from the pix, it had to be running 14 knots.
Very Seaworthy boat! Helmsman (own the molds) should use this in their promos.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Guru

Very glad that they, and the boat, are safe.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Just recently took my lady through some rapids (Yuculta, Gillard, Dent) (at slack). I am thinking that I should not share this post with her !
Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Who in their right mind would try Skoocumchuck at max current? I've seen it from the shore and it even scared the hell out of me there.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:40 PM   #9
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Who in their right mind would try Skoocumchuck at max current? I've seen it from the shore and it even scared the hell out of me there.
Clearly was NOT his intention.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
One of my favorite videos of Skookumchuck Rapids is this tug and tow trying to sneak through on an opposing current.

The physics of this is obvious to anybody who has whitewater kayaking experience. You sneak up the side eddy (reverse current) until the reaching the tongue drop and try to power your way upstream. But the downstream tongue and the upstream eddy grabs and twists the bottom of the boat. A kayaker leans way out and plants the paddle to keep upright. Crossing a big shear is difficult in a kayak. Not possible in a tugboat. The hard chine that you can see (once the tug is upside down) was what caught the shear current and slowly flipped the boat over. It would be possible to flip like this in a semi-displacement trawler, which also has a hard chine for the eddy line to catch.

The kayakers in the video are there for a purpose. Good fun in a $400 plastic boat with full drysuit.

But what occurred to me was: what if the trawler in the original post had stabilizers.
One might be tempted to employ them when running through. Fins, paravanes, bilge keels could all cause bigger problems in this condition (as if miss-reading the current table wasn't problem enough). Probably as likely to flop you over as to stop a flop.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:46 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Clearly was NOT his intention.
Keith
My guess? He read the current table bass akwards and thought slack was the peak current time. Skookum has claimed lives so lucky they are.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post
One of my favorite videos of Skookumchuck Rapids is this tug and tow trying to sneak through on an opposing current.

The physics of this is obvious to anybody who has whitewater kayaking experience. You sneak up the side eddy (reverse current) until the reaching the tongue drop and try to power your way upstream. But the downstream tongue and the upstream eddy grabs and twists the bottom of the boat. A kayaker leans way out and plants the paddle to keep upright. Crossing a big shear is difficult in a kayak. Not possible in a tugboat. The hard chine that you can see (once the tug is upside down) was what caught the shear current and slowly flipped the boat over. It would be possible to flip like this in a semi-displacement trawler, which also has a hard chine for the eddy line to catch.

The kayakers in the video are there for a purpose. Good fun in a $400 plastic boat with full drysuit.

But what occurred to me was: what if the trawler in the original post had stabilizers.
One might be tempted to employ them when running through. Fins, paravanes, bilge keels could all cause bigger problems in this condition (as if miss-reading the current table wasn't problem enough). Probably as likely to flop you over as to stop a flop.
That Tug capsize was due to the tow being too short for those conditions. When the tow passed the tug, it pulled the towboat over. The TSB report confirmed this. The current at the time of this event was well below maximum, that can be as much as 16 knots.

A tragic event occurred shortly before I joined RCMSAR, where a SAR boat was doing a training exercise in the rapids and flipped. 2 members had their lifejackets snag on other equipment in the boat and drowned. 2 others escaped but couldn't get to the trapped pair in time. The Saltspring SAR boat wears a memorial ribbon still.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #13
Guru

A few more
Attached Thumbnails
60CAAD4E-9C59-4F97-AD73-0CCC86CDA6BE.jpg   2F242D8E-5290-47B1-B7DC-296D4C88D8BD.jpg  
Old 08-16-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
A few more
Bowball:

Thanks for the photos. These dangerous places need to be exposed for all of us. The Camano in these photos got through, luckily, without any injuries, without much to clean up on their boat, so will survive this event and recall it as merely an embarrassment and not a tragedy.
The next guys will take another look at the current tables and be sure they don't try going when unsure of the conditions.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:25 PM   #15

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
Question, is there a recommended way to get through something like this if it's an emergency. Let's say someone had a stroke on board you are dealing with the golden hour to get them to help down stream of this. Would the strategy be just enough power to keep the bow pointed towards the standing water and/or from being swept into the shore? I am assuming the standing waves are probably in the 6-8' range so too much speed may create hazardous issues for a boat?

Bowball, is there a link to the video you can share?
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:18 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
Question, is there a recommended way to get through something like this if it's an emergency. Let's say someone had a stroke on board you are dealing with the golden hour to get them to help down stream of this. Would the strategy be just enough power to keep the bow pointed towards the standing water and/or from being swept into the shore? I am assuming the standing waves are probably in the 6-8' range so too much speed may create hazardous issues for a boat?

Bowball, is there a link to the video you can share?
From the park you can watch the guys with enough speed to power through. that takes 20 knots plus. anyone with a medical emergency should be going the other way, to the back side of Sechelt rather than attempting a challenge that will likely fail.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #17
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Back in my sailing days I had a couple friends who were always looking for crew because thier wives refused to go with them. It only takes one bad experience.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:17 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I can only imagine how long it would take for me to separate myself from the helm chair (after recovering from the beating the Admiral would surely give me). I think the only member of our crew that might enjoy that ride would be the dog. He seems to think sliding around the decks in rough seas is fun...
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
There is no reason one would need to run the rapids. Emergency services can be had on either side of the rapids.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #20
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I believe RedRascal was asking about rapids in general, not this particular rapid.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote