Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #81
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If you google the term, you see hundreds of discussions about the locked drones. I believe it has to do with geo-fencing and software updates to prevent anonymous flights in restricted flight areas.
DJI continually update their aircraft firmware with restricted locations. If you begin to fly into a restricted airspace such as an airfield or stadium you will meet the cone effect. The closer you get to the field or stadium the aircraft wil automatically lose height until the closest allowable point is reached at which time the aircraft will land.

Since unplanned loss of height and landings are not in the best interest of the owner, best to know your flight area.

I am withtin 5 miles of Naval Station Mayport which has an airport. I keep my drone under 400 feet. As far as I am concerned, no matter where I happen to be flying, 400 feet is plenty anyway. Going to 1000 feet does not give you much in the way of video or photography, though interesting for the horizon!

BTW, here is an October Sunday sunrise I was able to capture! Mayport Naval Station is on the left across the ICW (looking East).
For this video I was under 200 feet. So clearly 400 feet is more than plenty for most uses.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #82
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As far as privacy I got the big picture plenty.....just like most things in life.....I cant do much about long range cameras or electronic hacking (sorta), but I CAN AND WILL do something about the drone violating my space (within reason of course as I posted, public land and not peering in at me).....

As far as 200 feet....I spent thousands of helicopter hours flying up and down waterways at less than 200 feet.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
As far as privacy I got the big picture plenty.....just like most things in life.....I cant do much about long range cameras or electronic hacking (sorta), but I CAN AND WILL do something about the drone violating my space (within reason of course as I posted, public land and not peering in at me).....

As far as 200 feet....I spent thousands of helicopter hours flying up and down waterways at less than 200 feet.
Your point(s)?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #84
Guru

A paramedic with a boat on our marina says he uses a drone with camera to assess difficult remote areas where he is tasked with extracting a casualty.
As Bronwyn Bishop`s brother, he is familiar with helicopters.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 AM   #85
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
In this day and age, personal privacy is a just a distant memory from a simpler time.

If you use any electronic communication device, your location is being tracked and the content transmitted and received recorded (e.g. Google admitted to tracking phone locations even when you had the location services set to off, the police can ping your phone location at anytime and you can't do anything about it except by turning the phone completely off).
If you drive in any built up area, your location is likely tracked and recorded e.g so you pay your tolls electronically via a transponder or toll by plate, police licence plate readers).
If you walk the streets of a modern city, your location can be tracked and recorded (UK cities generally have the highest concentration of cameras for monitoring the public in the world).
If you walk the streets in most residential neighborhoods, your location can be tracked and recorded (by your neighbor's home security system)
Quite a lot of what happens in your house can be monitored via the internet (e.g. hacking the IP cameras in your home security system, or by the internet apps that let you see what your dog is doing).
Anywhere you go in your boat can be monitored and tracked.

Some of this occurs because people want their modern conveniences (like their phone telling them how to get to the closest McDonald's). A lot of it comes from the Patriot Act.

So people who get their knickers in a twist because somebody's multirotor device is near by and might or might not be looking in their direction and could be infringing on their privacy is missing the bigger picture.
Just because you have given away, given up on and are hopeless at maintaining personal privacy doesn't mean others are.

Burner phones, fake persona's, VPN's and tin foil hats are things some of us have been using since the beginning.
Terminator, Elysium, Idiocracy, Person of Interest etc are not just movies and TV shows - they are guidebooks to our survival.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #86
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Simi, aluminum foil is not acceptable for hats. Their rays go right through it. I switched to lead foil for my hats many years ago.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #87
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Ghost,

What new props make it quieter? Thx.

Phantom Advanced

The Mavic pro platinum came out with upgraded props. Look at the 8331 props. It's only like a 15 pct change, but I found it muted a lot of the noticeable tones, especially at a distance. Not at all like the older phantoms that are easy to hear and then notice.

My buddy who has a phantom got a spark. Honestly at 100 feet, I could spy on the Russians from Sarah Palins backyard.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #88

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The village marina where we used to slip our boat is a long line of slips along a sea wall, which abuts a public park. The park has a walking and bike path that meanders along the sea wall. A couple of years ago a sailboat pulled into a slip in the marina, unloaded his drone and launched it from the paved pathway in the park. Citizens, including moms with kids in strollers had to walk around the operator and his commandeered launch area. He had his wife directing traffic. He launched the cheap four poster drone out over the water and proceeded to fly it up and down the line of boats. I walked out on the back deck and flipped a bird to the camera,, which was buzzing its obnoxious "drone" directly over our boat at the time. He moved it down the line directly over the fuel dock, then took it back down the line and hovered over an empty slip. His spouse shooed pedestrians away, and then they posed and waved for the camera. At that moment I walked over to his landing area and sat down on a park bench that was directly under his flight path to the "cleared" landing area. The wife, and then the operator tried to shoo me off. I wouldn't budge and explained that he couldn't fly over people, and didn't have the right to commandeer the park for his exclusive use.

Long story short, I got the local police involved....and then the Village Manager, then the FAA. An ordnance is now in place that prohibits takeoff and landing from city parks and beaches without prior approval from the village government. The drones in parks problem, which was escalating, has abated somewhat, although I have subsequently noticed owners launching from their boats (in the marina).

There are two aspects to the operational problem. Air space and ground space. Local government can currently control (to an extent) the takeoff and landing phase. Once it leaves the ground, authority transfers to the entity that controls the airspace. In any case, a small town with three cops, and the FAA (nearest office 50 miles away) cannot police the idiots. And that community is well populated by idiots. The subject of airspace control is currently under review and one proposal would allocated 0-100 feet (I believe) to control of communities...outside airport areas, of course.

A problem that I consider more important than noise and privacy is safety of the simple, inexpensive, hobbyist, four poster designs. They are virtually uncontrollable following failure of a single motor or propeller/rotor. There are many videos on you tube illustrating the issue. A manned helicopter (or airplane) is certificated to a safety level where controllability is assured in the event of a power failure. The hobbyist drone industry convinced the FAA (U.S.) that a drone under a given weight and speed probably wouldn't kill a pedestrian following loss of control for any reason. Then they compensated by saying the operator must follow a community based criteria from a model airplane organization. The actual reliability of the control system and the controllability of the vehicle after an engine/prop failure was brushed under the rug. It will reemerge when one of these hobbyist type machines slices up some kid's face.

All of this is still in flux from a regulatory perspective, and the community based model aircraft groups are not pleased about how they have been coopted to enabled a crowd of users who know zero about appropriate usage guidelines.

As an aside, larger commercial drones will almost certainly have at least five prop/rotors in order to address the issue of controllability following a single failure. I would urge all of you with four poster hobbyist machines to attempt a takeoff or landing with one motor disabled to satisfy yourself that you are capable of controlling your device in the event of a fairly common failure. Then think about operating the device in marinas and around fellow citizens. If you operate your machine anywhere near my boat, I will call the police and the nearest FAA office. You might not be cited, but I will make your life miserable to the maximum extent that I can.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #89
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Rufus,

By the way, how do you like drones?
Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #90

If the machines are properly certificated to the same engineering safety standards as manned aircraft, and are operated by trained and certificated "pilots" in specifically approved airspace, I have no problem with them. FAA Aircraft Engineering fought the hobbyist drone intrusion into the national airspace system tooth and nail. The drone lobby politicked their way around a proper engineering approval and forced the current political hobbyist operating scheme down the FAA's throat. The politics of it are slowly swinging back the other way....thanks to many safety minded people like me and idiot hobbyist operators who regularly make the evening news.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #91
Guru

No conflict of interest here, right?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #92
Guru

I could make a STRONG argument to avoid the FAA at all costs. They are a ruthless bunch of Alpha Hotels whose self interest have little to do with safety. I've fought them in my aviation career over the past 40 years and I'm convinced that 95% of them are idiots.

I could tell you stories, the absolute worst was the revocation of Bob Hoover's pilots license. There are many more. The FAA really needs to be revamped and all the idiots thrown out. I've got my own stories your just wouldn't believe including one that fell asleep on my jump seat and had the audacity of criticizing my flight! And one that was going to delay my flight which is against the rules so I kicked his ass off the flight and he was going to give me a ration of shit!

No, I don't want any more government intervention, especially from the FAA regarding anything, including drones.

Drones will be fine. There will always be jerks that do the wrong thing and you just can't regulate against that.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #93

Aviation safety begins with safe aircraft. Let us know how your four poster drone flies following the sudden, unanticipated failure of one motor or prop. By the way, idiot operators can indeed be regulated...and they will be before it's over. I'd think an aviation professional would applaud safe aircraft and some structure around the operation of these dangerous toys.

Of course you can make a "STRONG ARGUMENT". But it won't hold water. Attacking the government doesn't change the facts. (Just because your jump seater took a little nap doesn't mean your performance was up to snuff).
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
No conflict of interest here, right?
No, none at all. The aircraft certification and operating rules are a time tested, world wide system that has yielded an amazing safety record over the years.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #95
Guru

Incredible.

Do you drive a boat Rufus?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #96
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Drones!

If you operate your machine anywhere near my boat, I will call the police and the nearest FAA office. You might not be cited, but I will make your life miserable to the maximum extent that I can

As a pilot and a boat owner, all this long winded post and especially the last sentence tells me is that you are a dick and hope never to have to make your acquaintance.
Good day to you sir.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Aviation safety begins with safe aircraft. Let us know how your four poster drone flies following the sudden, unanticipated failure of one motor or prop. By the way, idiot operators can indeed be regulated...and they will be before it's over. I'd think an aviation professional would applaud safe aircraft and some structure around the operation of these dangerous toys.

Of course you can make a "STRONG ARGUMENT". But it won't hold water. Attacking the government doesn't change the facts. (Just because your jump seater took a little nap doesn't mean your performance was up to snuff).
Rufus,

Nope, safety (aviation and otherwise) begins with a safe operator. The aircraft come second.

And yes, the STRONG ARGUMENTS have done some good in the aviation community, especially with groups like AOPA, EAA, ALPA and NBAA. Examples are the Hoover Bill, Medical Reform, Equipment Certification and I could go on. We can, as a community make a difference. The FAA isn't all bad, but has developed into a group of over controlling bureaucrats that do very little for safety and the betterment of aviation. Typical government that needs to be fought. Doesn't sound ike you're an aviator because you don't understand and don't know the facts. You're entitled to your opinion. We just disagree.

And drones won't be controlled anymore that cars are. The idiot operators of either won't pay attention to laws.

And you'll probably get more "drone safety off a boat" from this forum than the FAA.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
If you operate your machine anywhere near my boat, I will call the police and the nearest FAA office. You might not be cited, but I will make your life miserable to the maximum extent that I can

As a pilot and a boat owner, all this long winded post and especially the last sentence tells me is that you are a dick and hope never to have to make your acquaintance.
Good day to you sir.
McGillicuddy,
No, he's not a dick, he just has a difference of opinion. But, I might agree with you that calling the police when a drone is "operating anywhere near" might be over kill and it wouldn't be my choice. Doesn't make me a dick, either.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
McGillicuddy,
No, he's not a dick, he just has a difference of opinion. But, I might agree with you that calling the police when a drone is "operating anywhere near" might be over kill and it wouldn't be my choice. Doesn't make me a dick, either.
If you are operating in an authorized "airspace" then the police really can't do anything. They would likely just ask the drone owner to please fly in a different direction so they don't get called again.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #100
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
If you operate your machine anywhere near my boat, I will call the police and the nearest FAA office. You might not be cited, but I will make your life miserable to the maximum extent that I can.
I respect your right to your opinion but have to ask, just how much airspace "near your boat" do you own? 200' up and out? 250'? That space travel with you as you move through the water so you constantly own that space and anyone or thing entering it is subject to your response?

There are people out here who, when doing nothing illegal or morally/ethically out of bounds within your predetermined personal airspace would be just as willing to return the favor and "make your life miserable to the maximum extent" that they can as well. That doesn't just work one way.

Again, respect your opinion... as long as it doesn't call for infringing on others rights.

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote