Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #21
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 879
If you are respectful of other boats and people, you probably won't get complaints (often). I go remote to see and do things, some drones and some people would compromise my outdoors experience. If one group wants to see bears and one group makes noise to scare them away, and they are in the same area, conflicts will take place.

If you fly one regularly around other people you will offend someone, you can count on it. If you only do it once in a while, they will probably give you a pass... If I have one buzzing around a lot I am sure I will be annoyed.
__________________
Advertisement

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #22
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
While Congress and the FAA dicker over who regulates the space in which these aircraft fly it is generally accepted that following AMA Safety Code will keep you on the right side of safety, the law, and knowledgeable people.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Yes, there will always be those (and I have had them) say "keep that away from my windows/property/me," suggesting that it will be used for peeping. What these people don't realize is that I have a couple of pairs of binoculars that can be just as effective at peeping if I wanted to - and just maybe they need to make sure that there is nothing to see through un-curtained windows!

BTW, make sure to apply for, and mark your aircraft with, a Small UAS Certificate Number. That is now the law.
__________________

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #23
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Country: New England
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 923
“BTW, make sure to apply for, and mark your aircraft with, a Small UAS Certificate Number. That is now the law.”

The last thing that I want is more Govt intrusion however I think that droans should be required to have a transceiver that is transmitting a Govt issued “registration” whenever it is in the air. Something that could be traced when in a populated / restricted area. There are too many real bad things that can happen with a drown in the wrong hands. And as usual a few idiots can spoil it for everyone. I watched a kid fly one within a mile or 2 of a military airport last summer. He thought that it was a big joke. C-130’s were flying low altitude training missions at the same time. He came right out and said that it was illegal while he was flying it and kept doing so. What’s to stop a bad guy from doing the same thing but with a lethal payload? Just my 2 cents as I do not know much about the subject.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #24
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
“BTW, make sure to apply for, and mark your aircraft with, a Small UAS Certificate Number. That is now the law.”

The last thing that I want is more Govt intrusion however I think that droans should be required to have a transceiver that is transmitting a Govt issued “registration” whenever it is in the air. Something that could be traced when in a populated / restricted area. There are too many real bad things that can happen with a drown in the wrong hands. And as usual a few idiots can spoil it for everyone. I watched a kid fly one within a mile or 2 of a military airport last summer. He thought that it was a big joke. C-130’s were flying low altitude training missions at the same time. He came right out and said that it was illegal while he was flying it and kept doing so. What’s to stop a bad guy from doing the same thing but with a lethal payload? Just my 2 cents as I do not know much about the subject.
Drone.

So, in your mind, what is the difference between a drone and a model airplane, which have been around for decades?
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
If you are respectful of other boats and people, you probably won't get complaints (often).
While we were anchored last summer a nearby boater went around the anchorage telling everyone he was going to fly a drone around and take pics of his boat. We thought that was extremely polite.

I just got a drone a couple of weeks ago, flew it 2 times. I would suggest a less costly model to start with. They are relatively easy to fly but it does take some practice esp if there is a breeze. Mine started to get swept away, but thankfully I remembered the "RTH" (return to home) and speed increase buttons.

Have fun.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #26
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Country: New England
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Drone.

So, in your mind, what is the difference between a drone and a model airplane, which have been around for decades?
I understand your point. We have gone from a few dedicated enthusiasts building and flying model airplanes to anyone with a grand or even much less in their pocket having access to a vehicle that can deliver a deadly payload capable of mass destruction. I can see someone using for chemical warfare or the like.
Not too much different from guns I guess and I am not a gun control guy. Not sure what the answer is?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #27
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,162
Current laws do not adversely affect drones. DJI is the undisputed leader in drones. The difference between a Phantom and a Mavic is range. The Mavic can be flown more than a mile away. The Phantom has less range. Range is not an issue Taking boat pictures, but you will regret not having more range if you enjoy photography. You can purchase a remanufactured Mavic for less than $800. I had a Phantom and soon got the Mavic. Love it. I highly recommend going to State Farm and taking out an insurance policy on the unit for the annual fee of $50. You have a 50% chance of being glad you did.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #28
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
While Congress and the FAA dicker over who regulates the space in which these aircraft fly it is generally accepted that following AMA Safety Code will keep you on the right side of safety, the law, and knowledgeable people.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Yes, there will always be those (and I have had them) say "keep that away from my windows/property/me," suggesting that it will be used for peeping. What these people don't realize is that I have a couple of pairs of binoculars that can be just as effective at peeping if I wanted to - and just maybe they need to make sure that there is nothing to see through un-curtained windows!

BTW, make sure to apply for, and mark your aircraft with, a Small UAS Certificate Number. That is now the law.


I don't believe mandatory registration to be factually correct.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #29
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I don't believe mandatory registration to be factually correct.
https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,726
Quote:
Last winter we put together an article/presentation about flying drones from boats. Some of the laws may have changed since then, they're constantly evolving. Flying Drones from Boats – Slowboat
Slowboat, Thanks for that link. I watched it earlier and never thought of having my photography bug wife take the pics while I operated the drone. We just went out and tried that and it works great. Just learning that one thing made watching worth while.
Thanks again!!
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #31
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post


Thx. Color me confused. What happened to the May ruling that said recreational drones were not under the faa?
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #32
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Thx. Color me confused. What happened to the May ruling that said recreational drones were not under the faa?
This is a good read. The UAS Rule came into effect August 2016.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Of specific interest is this:

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
Give way to manned aircraft
Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #33
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
This is a good read. The UAS Rule came into effect August 2016.



https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/



Of specific interest is this:



Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.



Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:



Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only

Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines

Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight

Give way to manned aircraft

Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:



Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"

Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate

Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107



Here is a brief article on the May 2017 ruling, wonder if congress passed something recently as otherwise the faa is not supposed to be registering recreational drones

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...drones-n763871
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #34
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813
https://www.recode.net/2017/12/12/16...gistration-faa
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #35
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,273
I've got a DJI Phantom Advanced and it's a hoot. I have not flown it off the boat yet, but will.

I've launched it and landed it from my hand. It's not horrible hard to launch and pretty safe, but landing can be tricky. I've got a welder's glove for the landings, however, I've never failed to do it successfully.

As for registration, right now it's not required for recreational users, and I'm all for no registration (or worse, a transponder). It's the old "honest people don't need gun control". Registration has not made aviation safer, it only makes the govt money and gives them control.

And you can file a form and get your registration cancelled and get your money back. My buddy did that last month.

There are some reasonable rules that aren't hard to do, and don't piss people off is one. I've seen folks throw rocks at them after they flew too close.

Also, they have a pretty good range. I know they will fly over 2 miles, easily. (Mine hasn't, however, I have no reason to set a record).

As for learning, it's not hard to learn and goes pretty quick, however, not hard to get confused and mess up. I've crashed twice. Once a prop came off and the battery came out, low altitude, flipped over and landed on its back. Dusted off, put new props on and kept going. They are surprisingly robust.

The first one I bought used, cheap and a good learning tool. Next one will be a bit better.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
dirtdoc1's Avatar
 
City: Palo Alto
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 392
[QUOTE=menzies;621332]I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and fly it off the boat.

Hi Menzies,

I'm thinking about getting the Mavic Pro. What kind of software do you use to edit your videos? Do they have a basic and easy to use video software?

Thanks for the videos!
__________________
Dirtdoc1
dirtdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #37
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
I have the Cyberlink Suite of software - AudioDirector, PhotoDirector, PowerDirector and WaveEditor 2.

However I find that Windows Movie Maker is fine for editing drone movies, adding intros, credits, text, music etc. Very user friendly. Then upload to my TouTube Channel and voila!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #38
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I've got a DJI Phantom Advanced and it's a hoot. I have not flown it off the boat yet, but will.

I've launched it and landed it from my hand. It's not horrible hard to launch and pretty safe, but landing can be tricky. I've got a welder's glove for the landings, however, I've never failed to do it successfully.

As for registration, right now it's not required for recreational users, and I'm all for no registration (or worse, a transponder). It's the old "honest people don't need gun control". Registration has not made aviation safer, it only makes the govt money and gives them control.

And you can file a form and get your registration cancelled and get your money back. My buddy did that last month.

There are some reasonable rules that aren't hard to do, and don't piss people off is one. I've seen folks throw rocks at them after they flew too close.

Also, they have a pretty good range. I know they will fly over 2 miles, easily. (Mine hasn't, however, I have no reason to set a record).

As for learning, it's not hard to learn and goes pretty quick, however, not hard to get confused and mess up. I've crashed twice. Once a prop came off and the battery came out, low altitude, flipped over and landed on its back. Dusted off, put new props on and kept going. They are surprisingly robust.

The first one I bought used, cheap and a good learning tool. Next one will be a bit better.
SeeVee, you had better tell your buddy to get that that drone registered - it is now the law.

Also, re catching it being difficult. See story in link below. The issue is using one hand to catch it and the other to drop the throttle stick with a thumb as you hold the remote unit - very difficult, and much easier with two people. Some people have a neck holder for the remote control to make this easier.

The Exumas – The First Ten Days | AtAnchor.com
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #39
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,765
did I miss someone mentioning what the drone laws were in the Bahamas?

I think I would not take one to Cuba just yet....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Sugardog's Avatar
 
City: Alexander
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I like drones; they're great for target practice. Need to dig out the old sling shot.



Ted


You got that right, hate em. Noisy, obnoxious little buggers.
__________________

Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×