Drones!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just getting too cranky---and I don't like drones - or smart phones when people are walking -so I must eat crow and apologize to all I have offended--my sailboats gone and I have nothing to do boo hoo plus all 6 of the trawlers I have looked at have been a waste.....boo hoo

You are right. On a number of threads geoleo displays a "gotcha" critical mentality. It`s not that kind of Forum, we don`t want trolls.

75 posts in ten days is yeoman duty, though...

I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :)

I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :)

OK, that's a really cool idea!

I've done some engineering with sound signatures and acoustic imaging in the past.

That would be fun to work on!

Last edited:
Here is another Drone use:

One of my best friends who I have known for 40 years and a class mate from school has MSA. He was a very active guy prior to becoming ill. Surfer, boater, free diver, and a marine surveyor for his occupation. He loved the ocean, and boating.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with MSA. His body has been shutting down over the past 4 years, and now he is relegated to his wheel chair and can't lift his arms or move. His mind is fully functional. It is a brutal disease.

When I see him, he still smiles and says he has "no complaints". I am amazed at his strength and often think I would not be handling it as well as he is.

Over the past year I have come to his house every couple weeks and fly the Drone from his living room. His house is located on a cliff over the ocean. Its not a mansion, just an older house they were able to buy at a very reasonable price 30 years ago when values were much lower.

He sits next to me, and I have the IPAd display propped in front of him so he gets a real time view of what the Drone sees. We look at the ocean scenes, and search for whales. Life outside his room which he cannot leave.

I was reluctant to post this story when this string first popped up, but there is my friends Drone story.

Last edited:
And a great story at that.

I dont think anyone is 100 percent against drones, any more than one can argue with medecines that help anyone in need...whether its been legalized ir not.

It is why we fight for a free country and not one run by zealots who only see things their way.

For every inch of free airspace he needs, I am all for it....the twits that dont deserve airspace for many reasons ....I hope we can find a way to deal with.

Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)

Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)

I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.

I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.

:thumb:
To think that only about a week ago I posted that my ignore feature was no longer necessary! I quickly saw the irony of that statement.

Can anyone tell me if dhays posted anything worth reading above?

Can anyone tell me if dhays posted anything worth reading above?

As much as any other posts here. I guess?? I'm not sure that I understand your question. Unless you're just giving him a friendly jab.

Here is another Drone use:

One of my best friends who I have known for 40 years and a class mate from school has MSA. He was a very active guy prior to becoming ill. Surfer, boater, free diver, and a marine surveyor for his occupation. He loved the ocean, and boating.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with MSA. His body has been shutting down over the past 4 years, and now he is relegated to his wheel chair and can't lift his arms or move. His mind is fully functional. It is a brutal disease.

When I see him, he still smiles and says he has "no complaints". I am amazed at his strength and often think I would not be handling it as well as he is.

Over the past year I have come to his house every couple weeks and fly the Drone from his living room. His house is located on a cliff over the ocean. Its not a mansion, just an older house they were able to buy at a very reasonable price 30 years ago when values were much lower.

He sits next to me, and I have the IPAd display propped in front of him so he gets a real time view of what the Drone sees. We look at the ocean scenes, and search for whales. Life outside his room which he cannot leave.

I was reluctant to post this story when this string first popped up, but there is my friends Drone story.

One can only hope that if they should end up like your friend they have a friend like you.

Back
Top Bottom