Old 06-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #61
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
A drone for docking in slip...I can see the headlines now. A rash of accidents caused by distracted "captains" while docking. Also note that many dogs go crazy around drones so please let's kill this idea. A camera and/or a spotter with headset would really be a more practical approach.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #62
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
You could get a drone that has a tether to the mothership. It would fly directly above the mothership and have unlimited power via the umbilical. The video would be downlinked via the cable. It would just have to have sufficient thrust to lift the drone and the cable. You wouldn't have to actually fly it, it would just be pulled around by the mothership.

Gets around all the FAA drone rules too (it's not free flying).

Hmmm...

Not sure the actual utility of the thing though. What do you think you'll be able to see from a drone that you can't from the boat?
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #63
Guru

Ssobol: applying the kiss principle...assuming winds are light just tie a Wireless camera to a helium Ballon at the end of your tether and call it a day. But truly I think the entire concept is crazy. If stern visibility is a problem dock bow in or install a camera. I use a 6 camera DVR system from Costco. Not only does it provide rear vis it records great footage. Other 5 cameras show port and starboard engines and racors, forward over the bow (mounted on mast) and one each for saloon and pilot house. $400 and a few hours install. Comes with free remote viewing so I can check the boat from anywhere. Detects motion with some AI to distinguish a person.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY View Post
Ssobol: applying the kiss principle...assuming winds are light just tie a Wireless camera to a helium Ballon at the end of your tether and call it a day. But truly I think the entire concept is crazy. If stern visibility is a problem dock bow in or install a camera. I use a 6 camera DVR system from Costco. Not only does it provide rear vis it records great footage. Other 5 cameras show port and starboard engines and racors, forward over the bow (mounted on mast) and one each for saloon and pilot house. $400 and a few hours install. Comes with free remote viewing so I can check the boat from anywhere. Detects motion with some AI to distinguish a person.
I didn't say that my idea was a practical solution. However, charge a few $K and market it right and I'll bet more than a few "yachties" will buy one.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:38 AM   #65
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Tethered drones for boats already exist.

https://www.volarious.com/software-b...hoCAMkQAvD_BwE
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #66
Guru

Ssobol, you were right! Looks like they have targeted law enforcement so maybe you can still capture the yachting market. But please don't sell to any of my boating neighbors. I would miss hearing the yelling between spouses when docking.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Tethered drones for boats already exist.

https://www.volarious.com/software-b...hoCAMkQAvD_BwE
Drat it all! I thought I was on to something there.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #68

City: ri
Not wanting to get too political, but DJI, which is a Chinese company has just been accused of giving the Russians special SW that identifies the location of the drone controller. This is allowing them to target their mortars when a drone takes off.

China says they have not done this, but the Ukrainians are wondering how all of sudden a round is incoming within a minute of them launching a drone?

On another note, several drones have a follow me mode, they can follow you while riding your bike, motorcycle, running, skiing, etc. So if you are looking for great pics of your boat in action...Also these models will return to you, not your start location if you desire.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Not wanting to get too political, but DJI, which is a Chinese company has just been accused of giving the Russians special SW that identifies the location of the drone controller. This is allowing them to target their mortars when a drone takes off.

China says they have not done this, but the Ukrainians are wondering how all of sudden a round is incoming within a minute of them launching a drone?

On another note, several drones have a follow me mode, they can follow you while riding your bike, motorcycle, running, skiing, etc. So if you are looking for great pics of your boat in action...Also these models will return to you, not your start location if you desire.
The controller needs to broadcast its location to the drone so that the drone knows where to RTH (for drones that can return to the controller). Since the range of consumer drones is now many miles it follows that the controller is broadcasting a signal for many miles.

Deconstructing the controller signal is not difficult (ask all those people who build their own drones).

So whether China gave special software to Russia or not, it is not a stretch to think that the Russians are perfectly capable of detecting and exploiting the controller signals from consumer type drones without outside help.

Consumer drones use various techniques like channel switching, redundant messages, etc. But these are intended to ensure good signal contact between the drone and the controller, not to elude detection.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #70

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Thanks all. This is really helpful information!
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote