Drone Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Hi there,

We're going to move aboard this summer and cruise the East coast. We're looking for recommendations for a starter drone. We're not looking to spends thousands, but under a thousand.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

JimL

... We're looking for recommendations for a starter drone....

I recently bought my first drone. I first had to decide if I wanted to have one that I would not have to register (only $5 to register with FAA) or one that didn't require FAA registration and and a TRUST cetificate (TRUST is just a short quiz and no charge).

I chose between a DJI Mavic Mini 2 (no registration or certificate required since it is under 1/2 pound) and the DJI Mavic Air 2 which I decided on. I registered my Mavic Air 2 and took the TRUST quiz.

The difference that mattered to me was the camera. The camera on the Mavic Air 2 had better stats...in retrospect I probably would have been happy with the Mini as well. The Air 2 also seemed to have more auto flight controls to help me not run into objects and to help it follow things like my boat.

I am very happy with the Mavic Air 2 though there are a lot of other brands and models that are probably just as good.

Rick

**I am in my 70's and will never be an 'enthusiast', I just want to take pictures ;)

Last edited:
What navigation equipment do you have? The Raymarine Axiom MFDs can be setup to run a drone.

I have Mavic Pro which back in the day was $1500, but now the equivalent is under a grand. If you do get one, highly recommend the $70/year insurance policy from State Farm, they fully replaced mine once already.

Mavic Air 2 for me. Love it. Every boat should come with a drone, They are amazingly useful.

Four years ago, I started with the DJI Spark It was a good compromise between the studio quality $2500 craft, and something I wouldn't commit suicide over if I dropped it in the water (have done that once already - drone #1 is at the bottom of the Neuse River now........). It does/did quite a good job for what it cost. Alas, the Spark is no longer being made, but you can still find some for sale at some retail outlets and ebay. The main drawback to the Spark is that the flying time is realistically (on a boat) only about 8 minutes or so. The tradeoff is weight and extreme portability.

The primary driver for the model I chose is a feature called “active track” or "follow me". It allows the drone to track the boat in one of several modes without you having to “fly along”.

There are other intelligent video modes and automated cinematic clips that are just fantastic. There is already enough to worry about with the current battery level, GPS signal strength, return to home location on a moving bat, remote control data link strength, sunlight on the phone screen, and 50 other things -------- that these automatic modes are a real treat. It really taxes my pea brain just to keep track of everything while flying - even more so when moving the boat.

There are two modes of active tracking using image recognition that I use the most. You can find a lot of reviews, explanations, and tutorials on this, and the Spark in general on Youtube. Watch as many of these as you can.

I have since upgraded to the DJI Mavic Air 2. This model has a whopping 25 minute flying time – for not much increase in size or weight. This is the lowest price point that is still in production that includes the active track features. If those are not important to you, then the DJI Mavic Mini (no active track) is the current best-bang-for-the-buck model. The follow-me mode is just insane - you can draw a box around your boat and just track, or you can fly all over the place and the camera will move automatically and stay locked on to your boat.

DJI is hands down the most stable, best and shortest learning curve software to get started on because of the HUGE user base and a plethora of forums, youtube instructional videos, and FAQs on the internet. For same-feature comparison, I would guess the DJI models are a 20% premium. I wouldn't buy any other brand, regardless of price level – there are just too many things that can go wrong.

What will take all of your time is video editing (if you care a bit about the final product). This part of the process is a HUGE time-suck. I have used several different video editors - all free. The current one I am using is OpenShot running on Windows. Seems to do most everything I need it to with little effort. Nothing's perfect - you have to trade off a decade-long learning curve vs. what will be "good enough".

Watch lots of YouTube videos and tutorials on the drone models and features you are considering – they are very helpful.

Below are some of our videos with both the Spark and the Mavic Air 2.

------
- Tennessee River and Tombigbee Waterways
- Les Cheneaux Islands
- Mackinac Island
- Erie Canal Culvert Overpass
- Erie Canal Lock 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZT9FEHxsz8 - Chesapeake Bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqa_52XPjY - Dismal Swamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AgbulwUoOg - Angelfish Creek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPl2zNd7E7Y - Everglades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h5BENIXPqU - Boca Chita Key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDx_veTBs9w - Pine Island Anchorage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l21k5GQZ284 - St. John's River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZBHIPRJMU - Coosaw River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6UbApxzXA - Waccamaw River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BNoQ3AXgE - Bird Island Anchorage

If you're new to droning and not sure you will stick with it, get a used Phantom 3 or 4. Plenty of them available pretty cheap. The Phantoms are also better in a wind and easier to launch and recover from a boat (they have nice handles on the bottom to grab) than some of the smaller ones.

You need to register with the FAA to fly them though because they are bigger (pretty much anything bigger then a DJI Mini has to be registered).

As pointed out, in addition to learning the operation of the drone, you'll need to learn how to use it to good effect as a filming device and how to edit videos. The effort to learn editing is probably greater than learning to use the drone.

It is easier to figure out what you want to do in your video and then take the appropriate shots, rather than taking a bunch of random video clips and trying to make a coherent video out of them.

If you do get one, do remember to be respectful of your neighbors.
Myself and many other people do not appreciate having their privacy violated.
I keep a 10 gauge shotgun onboard specifically for such instances.

And shooting at a drone is a federal offense. Interfering with the operation of an aircraft. There is likely to be video of you doing it (even if you hit the drone).

Ha Ha!
Bring it on!

Plus illegal discharge of a firearm.

A fishing rod (and a good cast) is as effective and easier to explain! :angel:

Guns; the solution for every tough man including all of the drones trying to catch a glimpse of them in their underwear through the window. Funny.

For those all freaked out about their privacy being violated, it's hardly ever about you. Keep in mind that 99.9% of drones flying in and around an anchorage are getting images of the owner's boat, and/or the location itself. No one is trying to spy on you...

Two questions:

1) Do I need a drone that's waterproof or otherwise can tolerate hitting the water?

2) Do I need a drone with a "return home" feature which works on a moving boat?

Two questions:

1) Do I need a drone that's waterproof or otherwise can tolerate hitting the water?

Not sure that anyone makes such a drone that is in the reach $$ of the majority of us. Do you know of one?

Definitely a plus, but make sure that you are getting one that has a "moving" home, as a drone that returns only to the "home" where it was launched is of little use on a boat, even at anchor, as the boat may swing . . .

Ha Ha!
Bring it on!

So many instances of people being arrested for shooting down drones without a defense. The laws should be updated on privacy but again that’s not a defense so let us know how it goes. Maybe you can do a go fund me…but I imagine it’s all just forum posturing.

Last edited:
I'd love to get some drone shots of the boat underway - BUT - can't justify getting a drone just for that. Toss in the potential 'splash' factor, and well, it's money down the drain. (Anyone put floaties/pontoons on their drone to keep it afloat in a crash?). I have a small 'toy' drone that I've flown around the exterior of the house/pool birdcage and gotten great shots, but it can only handle tiny/no wind days (tough to find here in central Florida). So, I've simply decided on hiring a local company that does commercial/weddings type shots for an hour or so of 'underway' passes.

Two questions:

1. Waterproof drones are typically more expensive versions of stock models. Even though my first drone is sitting 230' below the surface, I still feel confident enough to use stock drones over the water. And my drone spends 90% of flying time over the water. But then I'm very cautious and have learned not to fly (or more specifically not to take off/land on the upper deck) in gusty conditions.

2. As already mentioned, make sure the return home feature is a return to the remote control unit. Older models with the early generation get home feature returned to the location (using GPS) where the drone was originally launched. Obviously with a moving boat that renders the feature somewhat useless, even if at anchor and swinging slightly. However, you can still use the feature if you lose sight of the drone and you're within visual range of where the drone was launched. Simply select return home and when you gain a visual on the unit, drop out of return home and resume manual control and fly to your new/current location.

2. As already mentioned, make sure the return home feature is a return to the remote control unit. Older models with the early generation get home feature returned to the location (using GPS) where the drone was originally launched. Obviously with a moving boat that renders the feature somewhat useless, even if at anchor and swinging slightly. However, you can still use the feature if you lose sight of the drone and you're within visual range of where the drone was launched. Simply select return home and when you gain a visual on the unit, drop out of return home and resume manual control and fly to your new/current location.

Cancelling the return to home only works if you regain contact with the drone. This RTH is caused by signal loss. A return to home due to critical battery level or because the controller signal is still lost cannot be cancelled. If the drone is not in contact with the controller it cannot return to the controller position because there is no position info from the controller.

There are a number of videos of people on boats racing to get back to the RTH position before the drone does. Usually, they are not successful.

Again, if you want to do this, I'd get a used earlier generation drone that is expendable. They are pretty cheap these days.

Cancelling the return to home only works if you regain contact with the drone. This RTH is caused by signal loss. A return to home due to critical battery level or because the controller signal is still lost cannot be cancelled. If the drone is not in contact with the controller it cannot return to the controller position because there is no position info from the controller.

There are a number of videos of people on boats racing to get back to the RTH position before the drone does. Usually, they are not successful.

Again, if you want to do this, I'd get a used earlier generation drone that is expendable. They are pretty cheap these days.

You make a good point that there are times the RTH function is automatically initiated due to the drone losing contact with the controller. Fortunately, I've never experienced that particular problem with my Typhoon Q500. I have lost visual and video feed with my drone, though, and initiated the RTH function myself. Once I regained a visual, I took back manual control and flew the bird home to the boat.

That's exactly why I said to cancel the return home IF you regain a visual on the drone. Can't rely on previous position.

Since you are getting recommendations for used equipment look closely at what features may be available on the model you are considering… the technology and features have really changed in just past couple of years. Whatever you buy it should have onboard GPS, dynamic RTH function and good range if you are a low time user. We found that buying the DJI Mini 2 was a very good platform at very reasonable cost to gain experience. Buy the combo pack for about $500. When you want more bells and whistles, with follow me functionality and advanced tracking you can spend the $1000 or more. Had no idea how useful these were to boat owners.

The use-case for many may differ. I use the drone to check on the boat while moored if I get an alarm—it is less than 2 miles from our house and makes for quick piece of mind. Have also found utility while aboard to scout ahead of the boat several miles for anchorages, congestion, etc. I think of the drone as the 25mph scout while the 8kt boat makes way. We do NOT find any particular utility in glamor shots or videography—which seems to be how many people may be using the device (no judgement). For a $500 price of boat equipment, I can say the relative utility has been positive—I can think of the many thousands I have spent on other items over the years that have had low utility value.

We're looking at the Splash 4 from SwellPro. Fully waterproof (as in, you can land it in the water and take underwater footage) and a great list of features I believe. Looks perfect to me for on a boat

@ HEMI

Is your boat on a ball or in a marina? Get a lot of alarms? How do you keep the drone in sight during these 2 mile flights? So you buzzzz around quiet anchorages to check them out?

Last edited:
I purchased my first drone about 3 months ago. DJI Mini 2, about $400 at Costco. No license required as it is under 250 grams (249 grams!) but I suggest getting a license for the same reasons many get their Coast Guard license. For about $50 DJI will sell you a warranty that for a small fee (I think $50?) will replace it once if you total it or even lose it. I have not tested that (yet) but expect it will happen.
They cannot get wet AT ALL! Not even flying in mist. So if you hit the water game over. I have not flown mine yet over water as my boat is in San Diego bay less than 1/2 mile from the airport. In general anywhere within 5 miles will be a no fly zone. Also just nearby is the Naval airbase and I did not want to get a visit from the feds.

As an aside a few years ago we took our Airstream to the Albuquerque Balloon Fest and camped at the end of the field where they launch. Saw a guy nearby launch his drone. Within 10 minutes the local police were there and within 20 minutes there were 2 black SUVs and a bunch of FBI guys around him. Not sure the final outcome but they were there for quite some time and I suspect at the very least he had a very bad day and probably got a major fine. So do take the regulations seriously.

Regarding the return to home function: Even the DJI Mini 2 has a feature to return to home but hover. If you were to use that setting then you might be able to get back to the spot and then land it back on the boat. But of course if it is battery low, critical it is coming down whether the boat is there or not.

Splash 4 drone

We're looking at the Splash 4 from SwellPro. Fully waterproof (as in, you can land it in the water and take underwater footage) and a great list of features I believe. Looks perfect to me for on a boat
Splash 4 is interesting but seems they start around $1800. Many ways a drone can die other than just a water landing. Might consider, especially if your first drone to just go with the basic DJI Mini 2 ($400 +/-) with the $49 "warranty". Even without the warranty you could crash or lose 4 of them and still have a few bucks extra in your pocket.
But thanks for sharing that as I had never heard of the model. Seems they target fisherman which would seem to be a very good use case. Just the amount of fuel they might save vs. a sportfisher running around finding the fish would pay for the drone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom