Old 06-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Drilling/grinding fiberglass/epoxy

Hello fellows,
Was wondering if anybody would have any hint about drilling/grinding fiberglass/epoxy?
1. I have a crack in my fiberglass bow pulpit, I want to grind it and fill it with epoxy and fiberglass strands. What kind of disk to use to grind cleanly the crack?
2. I am redoing my anchor capstan fixation. My plan is to drill oversized fixation holes, fill them with thickened epoxy and drill proper holes through the epoxy. I already drilled through epoxy but was wondering about any tip for clean hole, like drill slow vs drill fast etc.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
For minor grinding I use a Dremel with a grinding bit. For larger jobs I use a Roloc disc on a right angle drill. I use about 30 grit discs on the Roloc adapter. They cut very well and change quickly. The right angle drill allows much more control than a regular drill since it isnít so far away from the work surface.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
For minor grinding I use a Dremel with a grinding bit. For larger jobs I use a Roloc disc on a right angle drill. I use about 30 grit discs on the Roloc adapter. They cut very well and change quickly. The right angle drill allows much more control than a regular drill since it isnít so far away from the work surface.
Thank you David, tonight I learned something! I did not know what is a roloc disk, now I know

L
Old 06-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
TF Site Team

I love the Rolocs for grinding fiberglass, they cut quickly and with the right angle drill are pretty easily controlled. I get them on Amazon.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
I love the Rolocs for grinding fiberglass, they cut quickly and with the right angle drill are pretty easily controlled. I get them on Amazon.
Would you have a link to the one you get from amazon? there are a ton of them!

L
Old 06-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
TF Site Team

I looked and the ones I use are 50 grit and currently unavailable, like a lot of things.

3M Green Corps Roloc Discs, 3'' - 50 Grit DISC ROLOC 50GR 3 25/BX GREEN
Brand: 3M
Old 06-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #7
STB
Guru

City: .
Is the crack of cosmetic concern, or structural concern?

"V'ing (More like U'ing) out a crack" and filling is great for cosmetic repairs, especially shallow ones in gelcoat, e.g. crazing.

But, if it is structural, you need to feather a wide area around the crack and build up layers of glass to fill. Going 12x the depth of the crack around it is fairly typical. Then you put sheets of fiberglass back in, saturating them with epoxy, working from large pieces to small pieces to fill the hole to the correct shape, building a few sheets at a time to avoid excess heat while the epoxy cures.You may also want to drill holes at each end (and fill with the rest) of the crack before starting to interruot the propagation.

Happen to have a picture?
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Donít forget the adapter.

Pro 3" Roloc Disc Pad Holder - 1/4" Shank
Old 06-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Instead of drilling a hole and sticking a bolt in it the local ACE should have a bronze bushing to fit the bolt .

The bushings will help the deck when the hold down bolts are tightened , and as a high load item the extra diameter of the bushing will also be a help in not moving..

Auto body discs come in a course enough grit to make fast work of a small grinding job.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Is the crack of cosmetic concern, or structural concern?

"V'ing (More like U'ing) out a crack" and filling is great for cosmetic repairs, especially shallow ones in gelcoat, e.g. crazing.

But, if it is structural, you need to feather a wide area around the crack and build up layers of glass to fill. Going 12x the depth of the crack around it is fairly typical. Then you put sheets of fiberglass back in, saturating them with epoxy, working from large pieces to small pieces to fill the hole to the correct shape, building a few sheets at a time to avoid excess heat while the epoxy cures.You may also want to drill holes at each end (and fill with the rest) of the crack before starting to interruot the propagation.

Happen to have a picture?
Not really structural as at the end of the pulpit, just a crack that I want to fill in to avoid water ingress that would permanently damage the internal plywood.

L
Old 06-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Instead of drilling a hole and sticking a bolt in it the local ACE should have a bronze bushing to fit the bolt .

The bushings will help the deck when the hold down bolts are tightened , and as a high load item the extra diameter of the bushing will also be a help in not moving..

Auto body discs come in a course enough grit to make fast work of a small grinding job.
I was also looking at using bushing of some sort, if I find some of correct length and material I will use this.

L
Old 06-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Donít forget the adapter.

Pro 3" Roloc Disc Pad Holder - 1/4" Shank
Have we already met? How come can you know how much silly I am? Of course I could have forgotten the adapter lol
Thank you for the reminder!

L
Old 06-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I use a laminate router with a cone shaped bit to run down the cracks making a vee shaped groove then fill with epoxy and high density filler (404). Depending on location you may want to back it up with a strip of glass fabric under the crack.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I use a laminate router with a cone shaped bit to run down the cracks making a vee shaped groove then fill with epoxy and high density filler (404). Depending on location you may want to back it up with a strip of glass fabric under the crack.
Good idea, did not think about using the router.

L
Old 06-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
You may want to do something similar with drilled holes only just use a countersink. I do this with all my deck fittings, drill, countersink, apply nonthickened epoxy then make a ring of butyl around the bolt to squish into the tapered hole when tightened.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Bushing for bolts,,,"if I find some of correct length and material I will use this."

An auto body grinder can shorten a bronze bushing very rapidly.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
For the Roloc, if you have an air compressor on board, you can drive it easily with an air powered die grinder. If not, you can use a battery powered die grinder like my favorite Milwaukee tool. Drills really aren't made to do that and generally turn too slow for grinding.

For cosmetic cracks, the smaller you have to grind out the better. A small diamond or carbide burr in a dremel to trough out a crack minimizes the area size while creating a surface for the epoxy to stick to.

I would not used fiberglass strands for cosmetic repairs, colloidal silica would be more appropriate (for a high traffic area) or even micro bubbles (for low traffic areas).

The question will be, how are you going to finish the repair? If you plan to use gel coat to match an existing color/sheen then epoxy based fillers is probably not the right choice. If you plan to paint then it's fine.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Rolocs work great. Iíve used them on car projects and on the boat. Harbor Freight has them for very good prices too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-o...CABEgJGT_D_BwE
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
For the Roloc, if you have an air compressor on board, you can drive it easily with an air powered die grinder. If not, you can use a battery powered die grinder like my favorite Milwaukee tool. Drills really aren't made to do that and generally turn too slow for grinding.

For cosmetic cracks, the smaller you have to grind out the better. A small diamond or carbide burr in a dremel to trough out a crack minimizes the area size while creating a surface for the epoxy to stick to.

I would not used fiberglass strands for cosmetic repairs, colloidal silica would be more appropriate (for a high traffic area) or even micro bubbles (for low traffic areas).

The question will be, how are you going to finish the repair? If you plan to use gel coat to match an existing color/sheen then epoxy based fillers is probably not the right choice. If you plan to paint then it's fine.
Paint it will be.

L
Old 06-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #20
TF Site Team

My right angle drill works great with the Rolocs for grinding. It is plenty fast IMO. Really wouldnít want it to be any faster since it removes material quite fast.