Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,847
Dreams and dreamers

Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality.

The harbors up north are filled with boats, and every boat in the marina is owned by somebody with a dream.

Here I look around, and I think.... My story is not special. I am not special. Everybody in this harbor, everybody in the anchorage, Every boat, every person, We all made it happen. Everybody here is an accomplished cruiser, and I am extremely humbled to part of this. Humbled to be here. Humbled to have made it.

Welcome to La Paz Baja California Sur Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails
AA1B5FD1-4F7B-4690-B400-F4786D2D1BA1.jpg   2E403D0F-463A-4AD0-B431-382D0F6DF625.jpg   3ABEB992-BC0D-46EB-9CC2-BA6E8AA8E6D4.jpg   C256DF22-38EA-4299-A07B-C1B851347B04.jpg  
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,909
Congrats my friend. Enjoy retirement. You worked hard to get there.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
Guru
 
GoneFarrell's Avatar
 
City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 764
Kevin,
It's why I named my boat "Imagine."
Years ago, I'd wander the warfs, boat shows, etc.
Especially at lunch hour, I could get down to the river in Portland. I'd see these boats sitting there, not going anywhere for months. I imagined what I would do with a boat like that, how I could acquire one, and where I'd go

Typed from harbor in Bahia Tortuga!

(Full disclosure: this trip its on her boat, but I got her hooked on my boat!)

Presently we are hosting 2 Germans who navigated the NW passage, we met them in Desolation Sound.

Saludos Al
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,589
Still one of my favorite past times is to wander marinas and look at boats at rest and wonder what their story is. Even more fantasy consuming is to peruse the neglected boats in the back row and wonder what happened to the owner or dreamer in each case.

Some have been there for years, the owner paying storage every year, perhaps thinking "someday". Some have fallen behind in rent and the canvas is failing to the winter and weather, where are the owners of these neglected craft? Not so much now a days but a few years ago it seemed that every boatyard had a long neglected boat that somebody came across and figured "I can make her whole again".

Dreams and dreamers, all..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 338
As a side note: Don't underestimate the enjoyment of living on a boat at the dock. Just sayin.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:37 AM   #6
Guru
 
SteveK's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,502
Totally enjoyed travelling to Mexico vicariously with Kevin, it allowed me to realize that I did not and do not want to do it myself.
I enjoy boating, traveling from A to B and watching the scenery go by. But unless I have a deadline to be somewhere, I also like to kick back at anchor or dock overnight. even multiple days in one place.
Have been offshore well beyond sight of land and found it a challenge and also boring. That was only a two week excursion, cannot imagine months.
As I leave the boat I start dreaming of the next outing.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Sea Sanctuary-new to me 1992 Bayliner 4588
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Delta Riverat's Avatar
 
City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 307
There are lots of boats docked at my marina that haven't been down the river in a long time (years it would appear) I imagine lots wouldn't even start.

The boat next to mine is covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces.

Sad.
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Kevin,
It's why I named my boat "Imagine."
Years ago, I'd wander the warfs, boat shows, etc.
Especially at lunch hour, I could get down to the river in Portland. I'd see these boats sitting there, not going anywhere for months. I imagined what I would do with a boat like that, how I could acquire one, and where I'd go

Typed from harbor in Bahia Tortuga!

(Full disclosure: this trip its on her boat, but I got her hooked on my boat!)

Presently we are hosting 2 Germans who navigated the NW passage, we met them in Desolation Sound.

Saludos Al
Fantastic!!!

If memory serves you have made this trip before????

But... If you have not taken the time to go into Magdalena bay, we really liked the little town at man o war cove!
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Still one of my favorite past times is to wander marinas and look at boats at rest and wonder what their story is. Even more fantasy consuming is to peruse the neglected boats in the back row and wonder what happened to the owner or dreamer in each case.

Some have been there for years, the owner paying storage every year, perhaps thinking "someday". Some have fallen behind in rent and the canvas is failing to the winter and weather, where are the owners of these neglected craft? Not so much now a days but a few years ago it seemed that every boatyard had a long neglected boat that somebody came across and figured "I can make her whole again".

Dreams and dreamers, all..

pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Riverat View Post
There are lots of boats docked at my marina that haven't been down the river in a long time (years it would appear) I imagine lots wouldn't even start.

The boat next to mine is covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces.

Sad.
Every boat in the harbor that does not go anywhere is a broken dream.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #10
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,589
I don't doubt that people watched the deterioration of my boat last summer. I had health issues and didn't get to the boat for two months. It really looked neglected when i got down there. Mostly dirt, water scum, spiders and seagulls.

I made no secret of the fact that I had suffered a heart attack but I didn't broadcast the information. Word got around the marina though. When I re appeared lots of people asked how I was doing.

I had the boat pulled and wrapped early. Hopefully next year...

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I don't doubt that people watched the deterioration of my boat last summer. I had health issues and didn't get to the boat for two months. It really looked neglected when i got down there. Mostly dirt, water scum, spiders and seagulls.

I made no secret of the fact that I had suffered a heart attack but I didn't broadcast the information. Word got around the marina though. When I re appeared lots of people asked how I was doing.

I had the boat pulled and wrapped early. Hopefully next year...

pete

I think the typical reaction to a situation like yours is a bit different. When someone who regularly uses their boat stops showing up or is only there occasionally for a while without taking the boat out, the usual reaction is "what's wrong?" or "what happened?"

Very different from the boats that just sit and sit and are in and out of the water every year, but nobody knows who owns it because they might show up once a year at best.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #12
Guru
 
SteveK's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,502
When I was a liveaboard you got to know the routine of boat owners. New to marina boats would arrive with happy boat owners, get secured to the dock and then months go by before you see them again. Lack of use, lack of routine visits became more apparent.

Of course they could have come to the boat and left unnoticed, but the boat did not leave the dock. Long weekends in the heat of summer, the boats were at the dock when I went out and returned. I will never understand this type of boat ownership.

Maybe they were dreamers too.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Sea Sanctuary-new to me 1992 Bayliner 4588
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,012
Not everyone’s dream is to sit at a marina or use their boat every weekend. The boat fits into a broader pattern of the overall dream they want to have (or they have legitimate reasons or changes in priority to alter that).
My dream is to use it for a month or two to visit remote locations, certainly where there are no hotels etc. The rest of the year I like doing other things and going to other places around the world. So don’t see my unused boat and think it’s not a dream that’s not being realized. (I type this from Vail Colorado, about to head out to the slopes. )
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
FWT
Guru
 
City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,154
Kevin:

"Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality."

There is lots to admire about your extended and ongoing story. But it began when you took action to fulfill the dream. Few do.

Congratulations.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
Kevin:

"Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality."

There is lots to admire about your extended and ongoing story. But it began when you took action to fulfill the dream. Few do.

Congratulations.
Thanks!!!

It's amazing as I sit here in the marina in La Paz. My slip is at the very end of the dock, and I am looking out at the anchorage.

I see boats in the marina that honestly cost more than I made in my entire working career. I also see boats that cost less than my bicycle.

Yet everyone here has something in common. We all made a conscious decision to go for it.

I have met people here that have literally circled the planet on their boats. For these people the dream of adventure was stronger than probably anything in their lives.

It's funny because I also see abandoned boats here. People that made it this far, lived the dream, and for whatever reason quit cruising.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #16
Guru
 
GoneFarrell's Avatar
 
City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Fantastic!!!

If memory serves you have made this trip before????

But... If you have not taken the time to go into Magdalena bay, we really liked the little town at man o war cove!
I've been coming to baja by land since mid 70s. Bought in at Mulege '06, been wintering here ever since. Mucho miles down here on motos to the most remote places and ranchos possible.

We did trailer boating in Bahia de Conception for a few seasons. Now en route on gal's nice 40 foot Gozzard.

For sure we will spend time in Magdelena Bay, no hurries.

We have moorage reserved in Santa Rosalia for January/February, not far from my Mulege Casita, which we set up a couple weeks ago.

Will eventually cross paths with you somewhere down here!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
I've been coming to baja by land since mid 70s. Bought in at Mulege '06, been wintering here ever since. Mucho miles down here on motos to the most remote places and ranchos possible.

We did trailer boating in Bahia de Conception for a few seasons. Now en route on gal's nice 40 foot Gozzard.

For sure we will spend time in Magdelena Bay, no hurries.

We have moorage reserved in Santa Rosalia for January/February, not far from my Mulege Casita, which we set up a couple weeks ago.

Will eventually cross paths with you somewhere down here!
If you come into La Paz on your way back north you cannot miss my boat. I am at the end of the dock right as you enter the harbor.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member
 
City: Mission, TX
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 37
I have always wished that vehicles of a fun nature could tell their story, imagine the stories they could tell.
__________________
Standing on the ledge...
72tpiK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #19
Guru
 
GoneFarrell's Avatar
 
City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tpiK5 View Post
I have always wished that vehicles of a fun nature could tell their story, imagine the stories they could tell.
Here's one writing the story...
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220416-180123_2.jpg  
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
MacPhid's Avatar
 
City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 77
Remember, just because they arenít going anywhere doesnít mean they havenít been anywhere. Dreams may have been fulfilled long before you got there.
MacPhid is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012