Dreams and dreamers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone seems to be assuming their dreams are others dreams, making assumptions and judging. Even so, you can have a dream yet some other priority, interest, health or monetary issue comes up. Life is luck and timing too.

If you buy a boat, it’s a utility. It doesn’t mean you want to be a life time cruiser.

I have a pontoon boat on a lake that maybe I use twice a year… I value it as it adds to my pleasure when I stay at the cabin. I bought it so I could take my elderly folks around the lake where my mother’s father built that cabin and she grew up nearby. It contributes to my overall “dream” of how I want to enjoy my life and to share with others. It isn’t a failed dream because it doesn’t get used that much, or that the per use cost is high.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be assuming their dreams are others dreams, making assumptions and judging. Even so, you can have a dream yet some other priority, interest, health or monetary issue comes up. Life is luck and timing too.

If you buy a boat, it’s a utility. It doesn’t mean you want to be a life time cruiser.

I have a pontoon boat on a lake that maybe I use twice a year… I value it as it adds to my pleasure when I stay at the cabin. I bought it so I could take my elderly folks around the lake where my mother’s father built that cabin and she grew up nearby. It contributes to my overall “dream” of how I want to enjoy my life and to share with others. It isn’t a failed dream because it doesn’t get used that much, or that the per use cost is high.

:thumb: Well said, could not agree more.
We are heading to the boat to stay onboard for our monthly one week tomorrow. My work demands my presence for the other 3 weeks. I dream of the day I desire to no longer work.

:. I dream of the day I desire to no longer work.

That was when I was about 25.
Truth be told it was probably when I was 16, a week after I started my apprenticeship.

Last edited:
We've been out here cruising full time on "this" vessel for 6 years yet still dream of "actually" doing it like we did for shorter time frames on other vessels we had.

Whilst it's nice cruising up and down the Great Barrier Reef and coastline, spending weeks in tropical lagoons, swimming in crystal clear waters it lacks the adventure that I crave or at least, think I crave.

I think the reality now is we have become soft
The lifestyle we live now is easy and we'll practised

#firstworldproblems.

Last edited:
... it lacks the adventure that I crave or at least, think I crave.

#firstworldproblems.
You're ringing my bell!
Adventure is what starts happening after the best laid plans have been made.
It's about finding what's true for you.
Started with a dream, some imagination.
Keeps evolving over time.
Every limit presupposes something beyond it.

“Whilst it's nice cruising up and down the Great Barrier Reef and coastline, spending weeks in tropical lagoons, swimming in crystal clear waters “

Your reality is pretty likely the unobtainable dream for many.

But, once obtained, we yearn for a bigger dream.

We are getting closer to the dream. We originally thought the dream was a sailboat, and we own an Endeavour 32. But the closer we get to retirement the more we think how nice a trawler would be. Pretty sure we have talked ourselves into it. We'll probably be making the switch some time next year.

We've owned powerboats in the past. The biggest was a 27 cruiser with a 454. We didn't like it as much as we thought we would. We learned we are really slowpokes. Life at 6-7 knots is simply more peaceful.

My boat-dreaming started when I was in high school (‘76-‘77). I was working at the public library and once a week I would be at the periodicals desk until 9 pm, looking through sailing magazines….never thought that I would ever be able to afford even the used boats.

Fast forward to 2007 when I purchased a new Jeanneau SO 36i. We were living in Tucson and the boat was in San Diego. Drove 6 hours every other Friday to sail one day and return on Sunday. We also spent 6-8 weeks of vacation and all the holidays on the boat every year. Only skipped going to the boat for graduations or parents’ birthdays. We did this for 11 years. We had more friends at the Marina than at home. I finally, sold the boat in 2018 because I had not visited it for 2 months in a row. Regretted my decision.

Fast forward to 2021 when we signed a letter of intent to purchase a new Nordhavn 475. I promised the Admiral that she will be warm and dry,, and that the boat won’t be heeling. She will have all the comforts of home and beautiful sunsets every day. Hopefully our boat will be ready mid-2023. Planning on living aboard. Cheers.

There are lots of boats docked at my marina that haven't been down the river in a long time (years it would appear) I imagine lots wouldn't even start.

The boat next to mine is covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces.

Sad.

Our Tolly was docked in covered berth at Paradise Point Marina of 8 mile road in Stockton for 14 years. Within a few weeks she's get covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces. We used her fairly often. Really didn't like the need to do a full wash/scrub down every time before heading out.

Where she is now in San Rafael open berth... I don't need to scrub her down before use.

Thanks for this. Every boat has a story behind it, and we shouldn't judge or guess what that story is. I'm sure some are sad, broken dreams, but others are likely part of a bigger, happier life where people are successfully following their dreams.

I, like many other boater dreamed of buying a boat and doing the Loop.

Now as I get older I still have that dream but it has mostly been replaced by just hoping to use my boat more than I did last year and dreaming of getting some projects finally completed.

Funny how dreams change. Same old me, same boat different dreams.

pete

My current dream is to sell our Tolly we've had for 14 years. Spend the next few years launching an international business. Then buy another boat! Life is fun... especially with boats in the mix!

I've been coming to baja by land since mid 70s. Bought in at Mulege '06, been wintering here ever since. Mucho miles down here on motos to the most remote places and ranchos possible.

We did trailer boating in Bahia de Conception for a few seasons. Now en route on gal's nice 40 foot Gozzard.

For sure we will spend time in Magdelena Bay, no hurries.

We have moorage reserved in Santa Rosalia for January/February, not far from my Mulege Casita, which we set up a couple weeks ago.

Will eventually cross paths with you somewhere down here!

Where in Mulege? We had a casa in Rio Oasis 80-90s before the "great Floods". Enjoy a pig feed at the Serinadad for us!

Hi Kevin. Did you stop in Nanaimo to get those "Rolling Chocks" ?

Where in Mulege? We had a casa in Rio Oasis 80-90s before the "great Floods". Enjoy a pig feed at the Serinadad for us!
Other side by Saul's Mercado.
Yeah, been through big and little floods there, choose your disaster!

Occasionally, a nightmare can pop up in a dream. Live and learn from it.

Last edited:
Well said all. We are leaving our boat at a marina for the first time after a month long slow cruise from Virginia to Brunswick. Will be back in 6 weeks but I miss the dream already. We are all so fortunate to be able to do what we do on the water. Such a great community, sights, sounds, places and people at every stop. Now I just gotta find a place to dock on the west side of Florida from march-June!

If you buy a boat, it’s a utility. It doesn’t mean you want to be a life time cruiser. .......It isn’t a failed dream because it doesn’t get used that much, or that the per use cost is high.

Reminds me of a couple I was aquainted with at a marina I lived aboard in SF Bay. Young couple who bought an older 36-foot sailboat with intent to fix-up while they lived aboard, then head off cruising - windvane and all. They toiled for 18+ months. Clearly, their enthusiasm for cruising waned but they had talked about heading off for so long, they felt obligated to give it a try. Three months later they were back and proudly declared they loved living on a boat and marina life, but not cruising. So they adjusted their dream to their reality and continued living aboard and day-sailing.

Like Bowball, I think it a bit unfair to superimpose my ideas of boat ownership onto another owner or boat. Boats are so personal as are the reasons for ownership. For a while, Weebles was one of those boats that sat unused and decaying for several years. I'm sure many saw her and said 'what a shame.' She was a gold-brick buried waiting for a rainy day, it just took a lot longer than I thought to make her a priority again. My point being is that appearances may be decieving: despite ample evidence to the contrary, Weebles was perhaps the most loved and cherished boat in the marina.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom