Dream Boats (not)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carvendive

Veteran Member
This is sort of my poking fun back at our "Members Boats" Thread. We were cruising up in the Canadian Gulf Islands and came across this boat. I just HAD to get a shot of her. Maybe you'll get a good chuckle.
I just wish I'd gotten a shot of the sailboat at the public dock in Gig Harbor from about two years ago - it had so much bottom growth on it that the rudder could not be moved because it'd become part of the hull.
Maybe others here have some "competing" scow shots???

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 20th of December 2010 11:59:49 AM

Attachments

• dreamboat.jpg
    dreamboat.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 55
Looks like one of those good ol' boys duck hunting (read drinking), get away from the spouses retreat. Only try to move it when you and your buds have taken on enough "fuel".

This is my "Dream Boat".* The "Papa Doc". It was used as a gun runner during the revolt against "Baby Doc" Jean-Claude Duvalier in Haiti. Apparently it was making a night run and struck a reef off the south coast of Grand Bahama Island.*It went down with all it's*cargo (AK-47's and RPG's) which the Bahamian authorities quickly confiscated.*
The crew was never found.*
I took some great shark footage while I was diving on this wreck.** * KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 09:55:19 PM

Attachments

• ss papa doc.jpg
    ss papa doc.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 59
  • reef shark.jpg
    reef shark.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 54
  • papa doc.b.jpg
    papa doc.b.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 67
  • papa doc.jpg
    papa doc.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 59
It appears to be a fine, rustic houseboat; if a trawler, it's looking for trouble.

carvendive wrote:

We were cruising up in the San Juans (Canadian)....
FWIW it's not a good idea to refer to the Canadian islands as the "San Juans (Canadian)" or "Canadian San Juans" or anything else with the words "San Juans" in it.* The islands in Canada are the "Gulf Islands," a name the residents take great pride in.* A pretty sure way to annoy a local is to refer to them as the "Canadian San Juans."** They may not reprimand you or say anything at all but if you're in a restaurant when you say this the cook will most likely spit on your hamburger.

Sorry, I meant to offend no one. I've edited my original post. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Sort of like Illinois or illinoi.* nar'lens or new orleans. Tomato or toe moto.
*Or my favorite from martime Canada. Newfound lund** or as the natives say it
Newfund Land.

SD

If you ever get to Garrison Bay on San Juan Island you will read all about the "Pig war" and then you will understand why we Canadians don't wish our Gulf Islands to be mixed up with your San Juan Islands. The International boundary would have gone down Rosario strait instead of Haro striat had we won the Pig war(actually the international arbitration is what we lost, as no shots were fired, so we really shouldn't call it a war).

koliver wrote:

The International boundary would have gone down Rosario strait instead of Haro striat had we won the Pig war(actually the international arbitration is what we lost, as no shots were fired, so we really shouldn't call it a war).
There was one, the shot that killed the pig.* And for anyone (on either*side)*who has complaints about where the border ended*up they need to dig up the German Kaiser and yell at him as he's the one who determined the location of the line.

Dream boat # 2. Should you wish to go back to the dark side

-- Edited by xfedex on Monday 20th of December 2010 10:19:22 PM

Attachments

• needs work img_2864.jpg
    needs work img_2864.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 64
xfedex wrote:

More value*in*good fenders*than the whole boat.

She looks a little top heavy.*
I think this is the boat that sank the "papa doc" (see pg. 1).

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 22nd of December 2010 12:20:48 AM

JD wrote:

xfedex wrote:

More value*in*good fenders*than the whole boat.

This is my Dreamboat #2** "The Obi Wan"* It's a former Imerial Trawler.*
She's a gazillion meters long and does 2.5 past lightspeed, sleeps a battalion of Storm Troopers,
with a down galley.*
Yes, she has bow thrusters.
No sundeck.

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 12:19:45 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 12:20:48 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 09:15:57 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 09:17:04 PM

Here's what you want. None of that namby-pamby gelcoat crap. Note in the first photo that these dreamboat trawlers are available as "convertibles," with removable tops, or as "pilothouse" models (in the background) that even come with high-tech forward raked windshields (the main reason I would never buy one of these boats).

Engines are state of the art as you can see.

The third photo is of the dinghy that comes standard with these trawlers.* Designed by Livingston, they are soon going to be introduced in the US.

The fourth photo is of the LRC model, the long range model.* A clever marketing ploy by the manufacturer that they feel will give the boat great appeal in the American long range cruiser market is that the tires come standard.* As opposed to the competition from Fleming, Grand Banks, etc. where the tires are an expensive option.

The last photo is the most popular model, the Aft Cabin.* Here you can see some proud owners out for a day's cruise in their spanking new boats fresh from the showroom floor.

I took these in Xiamen, China. Xiamen is the location of the Nordhavn plant. As you can see, they really missed a bet when they decided to build their limp-wristed, top-heavy "cruisers." These designs are far more practical for the dedicated yachtsman.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 12:53:33 PM

Attachments

• xiamen1.jpg
    xiamen1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 60
  • new outboard.jpg
    new outboard.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 52
  • new dinghy.jpg
    new dinghy.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 55
  • xiamen 4.jpg