Drain tube cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captDJ

Veteran Member
What is the correct way to clean crud out of sink and shower drains? I have slow drains, I need something that is safe and effective

Safe and effective are contradictory terms for drain cleaners. If I had problematic drain traps I would replace them. Easy and inexpensive solution. If you have cheap ribbed drain hose then you will always have problems.

Vinegar can help with shower drains.

Start with the drain strainer/grille in the base of the sink or shower, a build up of hard set dirt can collect there. Check the shower sump box if you have one, it should have a filter which may be clogged with hair, body oils,soap residue, and other muck :eek:. Some drains run straight out via a skin fitting above water, you may be able to disconnect them at the fitting and flush through. On some boats, like mine, everything grey goes to a grey water tank which pumps out when it needs to.

Attachments

• 8FAB9229-FC7C-4B82-9208-85698ECD1B75.jpeg
    8FAB9229-FC7C-4B82-9208-85698ECD1B75.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 33
For sinks and smaller drains like around hatches and windows try this. Get a ketchup squeeze bottle from Walmart. Fill it with the hottest water your hands can handle and still hold the bottle. Upside down on the sink drain with the top off, give it a hearty two handed squeeze. For little drains in windows, etc, leave the spout in place.

Go for it,

pete

Back
Top Bottom