Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

building my own cockpit steps-deck fasteners??

I want to build my own cockpit steps to get down into the cockpit of the Californian 34LRC. I want to be able to remove them for storage or to use on the opposite side as needed. Garelick makes alum. framed steps using the shurlock fasteners. I can find the female shurlock fasteners for fastening to the sidewall but where can I find the male ends to fasten to my hardwood step system. I have searched google for shurlock 76000 and found many sources for the female half of this system, but nothing that I can fix to the steps to afix them to the shrulocks. Maybe I can use a carriage bolt that will fit them. Or suggest some other fastener system. Help. Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Try this:
Shur-Lok Company: SPS Fastener Division, A PCC Company
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

steps

Tried the Shur-Lok company but didn't get along very well. Wanted to view products in certain catalogues but they want you to order them. Right now will go by WM and talk with them about the Shurloc fastener they use. Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Have had the same problem for some time. Pretty much decided to to some Dremel surgery on carrage bolt heads. Project has moved to back burner for now. Let us know how you make out. My knees aren't getting any more flexible
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #5

Chc--I may give the carrage bolt a try. I don't want to weaken them too much if I use the dremal tool, but if the bottom of the steps has some good anti-skid properties there shouldn't be too much stress on the bolt heads. I purchased a 1 by 6 hardwood board at Home Depot that is 8 foot long with the intention of cutting that up and making at least one step down capable step system out of it. In my case only need one stepper since the total depth is but 20 inches. Probably try to figure out how to fasten some sort of "leaning post" or hand rail to it as well. The Garelick steps that I have found are too tall and too expensive so will give this a try. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Built my own, but I suggest you use cheap lumber the first time since there was a lot of cut and recut. The sidewall angle isn't 90 degrees to the deck and the deck rail isn't parallel to the deck as well so there is a difference of height from the deck as you go aft on it. It took a lot of fine recutting to get the angles right. After figuring all that out I took 1/4 inch carriage bolts and put a flat washer on them up against the base to provide a space for the Shurlock fitting to slide in. I did all that before I mounted the Shurlock fitting. I guess one could mount the fittings and go from there but for me it was easier to build the steps and than mount the fittings. I only needed one step, but it is built such that I can put a 2 x4 across the top of the step and it will be even with the rail if after some use the family wants a wider step at the rail level.

After I got everything right I bought red oak hardwood, use the cheap wood as a pattern and cut and assembled in final form. Will stain and varnish hardwood today. Thanks for the suggestions.