Downrated HP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Derating an engine is done at the manufacturer, unless you replace the injection pump with a different rated engine model, which would be an expensive move. Also, if you know the internal mechanics of an injection pump (Fuel Injection Engineer) you could adjust the power / torque curves. My older brother was a diesel fuel injection engineer and he could do it. Average joe turning a screw is setting the throttle limits, changing where it stops the throttle / rpms.

Who cares, really. Whether runnning a 3208 at 210 or 150 it should live a long life. Neither rating will stress it at all.

Who cares, really. Whether runnning a 3208 at 210 or 150 it should live a long life. Neither rating will stress it at all.

:thumb:

Especially with the boat in FL and the questions coming from non-buyers very far away.

The rating does not alter the stress on the engine. a candle burning twice as bright lasts half as long.

Most stanadyne rotary pumps have an internal allen screw that can be adjusted to increase or decrease fuel flow/pressure to the injectors. It has nothing to do with the throttle stop. The 3160 had a smaller front balancer bore than the 3208, among other things. I was not aware that it was a liner block. I have never heard of "thicker liners and smaller pistons" used in derating a diesel engine. While I agree on the bigger wheel at lower rpm argument, that is not really "derating" as much as it is "rerating". Or using the available power of a lower setting more efficiently. As long as you are ok with resetting the max rpm to this new lower rpm, and not exceeding it, you'll do fine. The easiest way to derate a diesel engine (within reason) is to take some pitch out of the wheels.

@hawgwash. Look back at post 12. That's your answer.

(W/o any technical changes to 3160. ). Right there the person who wrote this is uninformed

(210HP downrated to 150.). Really??? With NO changes to engine!!!

This person does not actually know what is/was done to engine.

To derate an engine means more than just lowering throttle, crimping down on fuel injection pump, or changing prop.

I would like to think this is 'broker speak' for make stuff up.

@hawgwash. Look back at post 12. That's your answer.

(W/o any technical changes to 3160. ). Right there the person who wrote this is uninformed

(210HP downrated to 150.). Really??? With NO changes to engine!!!

This person does not actually know what is/was done to engine.

To derate an engine means more than just lowering throttle, crimping down on fuel injection pump, or changing prop.

I would like to think this is 'broker speak' for make stuff up.
In fairness to the owner/seller, he said the 3160 became the 3208 without any technical changes.

Don't screw around unless you know what you're doing. That is, if you've no fear of the unexpected. Which could be bad or good. OK, take you choice. Do it, do it, do it. Do not expect me to follow, however.

Old cat pumps are really easy to change. Never fooled with 3160/3208 pumps much.
3406B cat at 400 hp come out three turns on the right screws and it will make 600 on the dyno.
No one I dealt with ever wanted less power but two turns the other way would certainly reduce horsepower ...easy as can be.
P style pumps on a cummins are easy. Rotary pumps less so. But pretty much any non computer engine drop the pump at an injection shop and tell them what you need assuming you have a good pump shop and you should be good to go.
Computer Controlled engines can be changed too. It is all about what software you have in your laptop. You can tell the engine it is 300 hp or 600 hp ( 60 series Detroit for instance) it does not care just a different fuel map.
Now with all that said -yes there are engines (cummins for instance) that have a huge number of cam and piston changes in the same block to make different horse power ratings so it is not always about just the amount of fuel. Oh... And sometimes there are turbo changes so it is a complicated subject but...
Each engine made is almost never made with just one horsepower rating.

The engine generation was 3160 first. The 3208 came after. The 3208 was the 'souped up' 'new' variant. This engine you are looking at never was 'Derated'.

Look up cat 3160. You can find this info on several websites for engine info and lines as they were produced.

At the end of the day, as the potential buyer, I don't really care. I have my surveyor/mechanic check it out and give me a :thumb: or :nonono:. He talks and I listen.

At the end of the day, as the potential buyer, I don't really care. I have my surveyor/mechanic check it out and give me a :thumb: or :nonono:. He talks and I listen.

There are two aspects of it I would still care about, regardless of how well it is currently running. Now this is just me and may not be logical but personal preferences often aren't. First, I generally prefer to avoid the maximum horsepower out of any specific engine. We cruise at 80% often and I just feel like the further the engine has been stretched the less the durability might be at that type load. Second, I like factory built versions and am not a fan of engines which have been modified in any way by individual owners post factory. I don't care how knowledgeable the prior owner might be, I don't feel they have all the knowledge and information the factory had.

Now this is not to underestimate a good engine survey. That's a given in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom