Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2pm update.

..EYE OF DORIAN JUST OFFSHORE OF CAPE ROMAIN SOUTH CAROLINA...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...32.8N 78.9W
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM S OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 115 MI...185 KM SSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 25 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=LTX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

For those in SC and NC, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Cleatless

This bow cleat pulled out with a 60 mph gust.
Looks like the cleat was installed with wood screws.

Getting hammered in North Myrtle Beach KJ

1429-albums194-picture5462.jpg

We are playing cornhole on the dirt house back deck. Wind pretty sporty. When the tide comes up we may be pickled, but ok for now.

Hang on -- it's coming your way.

A tornado touched down in Little River this morning. KJ
Three touched down within a few miles...unless one was a straight line wind event

Hang on -- it's coming your way.

I know we are in for a beating. Not trying to make light of it. But we have a few hours to kill, so why not.

This bow cleat pulled out with a 60 mph gust.
Looks like the cleat was installed with wood screws.
And they probably didn't even put sealant on the wood screws! Oh well. You can put it back, but with a backing plate, sealant and bolts. Hope that was the worse thing you had! My sister's boat is in Wilmington, and we are all holding our breath on that one.

I think that's a galvanized dock cleat just lagged down.

Telling that they expect 50 additional doctors to show up with only one working ambulance.

firstbase please don’t be too critical, these people are very emotional concerning their family in private but become stoic in public. For his society those words may be perfect.

Which unfortunately everyone knows is coming. I am sure that the Health Minister is under great stress but he could have a better choice of words than those he used in the third paragraph.

He was being honest about it.

CarDude, just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about your boat. Hope things turn out ok for you. Best to everyone else in the Current path.

And they probably didn't even put sealant on the wood screws! Oh well. You can put it back, but with a backing plate, sealant and bolts. Hope that was the worse thing you had! My sister's boat is in Wilmington, and we are all holding our breath on that one.

It was a dock cleat and it was not my boat. I went out to check the other boats on my dock during a lull and found this boat with the bow line hanging straight down in the water. All that was keeping it from blowing into it's neighbor was a significantly undersized spring line. We retrieved the line and secured it to another cleat. If that one gives out, well, he's SOL.

Hope your sister's boat is secured. It's still blowing really hard here in North Myrtle. KJ

firstbase please don’t be too critical, these people are very emotional concerning their family in private but become stoic in public. For his society those words may be perfect.

No, I'm not criticizing. Just sad. Nothing funny about it.

The 10pm update.

Looks like the forecasters got it right. It has gone NE - 45 degrees. The next full advisory is at 11. The Wilmington radar linked below has it staying off the coast. Good news.

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM EDT...0200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.6N 77.7W
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM S OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM SW OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 45 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=LTX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

From the 11pm update - how crazy is this sh%#.

Hurricanes in freakin' northern most frozen tundra Canada!

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Canadian Hurricane Center has issued a Hurricane Watch for
all of Nova Scotia, a Tropical Storm Watch for Prince Edward Island
and for the Magdalen Islands, and for New Brunswick from Fundy
National Park to Shediac. Also a Tropical Storm Watch was issued for
Newfoundland from Francois to Boat Harbour.

From the 11pm update - how crazy is this sh%#.

Hurricanes in freakin' northern most frozen tundra Canada!

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Canadian Hurricane Center has issued a Hurricane Watch for
all of Nova Scotia, a Tropical Storm Watch for Prince Edward Island
and for the Magdalen Islands, and for New Brunswick from Fundy
National Park to Shediac. Also a Tropical Storm Watch was issued for
Newfoundland from Francois to Boat Harbour.
Well Maritime province are not exactly frozen tundra but anyway I got the idea :)

L

I know they're not, but it's bloody well up here!

I honestly can’t believe how long we’ve been watching this damn thing. And remember when people were saying to just go north to get out of harms way?

SE NC report: Looks like we're ok here. Eye seems to be staying off the coast. Wind is up, but tolerable. Probably will get more wind before it subsides. Tide at this point is only a few feet above normal. We can handle that. Just need to see what the backside will do, that often bites me. Power still on, genny gets to sleep (so far).

Worst of this was an a$$ load of rain and scattered tornados. My girl has a co-worker that took a lot of tornado damage in Porters Neck, about 4m NE. We may go there in the morning to help out. Some flooding damage locally, nothing major.

I need an IPA!

Back
Top Bottom