Old 11-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Austin, Texas
Vessel Name: Golden Eye
Vessel Model: Burger 52 LRC
Door Lock Help

When being away from our boat, we had a situation arrise where someone else needed to check on it. Since our boat was all locked up with NO hide a key present, it created an awkward situation. Neighbor ended up breaking in to check on issue, which now requires some repairs on our part, but this situation got me thinking.

I searched online, but didn't find anything that really looked like it would work well. IS THERE some sort code lock that we can install in lieu of a key that would allow us to give someone a code to gain entrance?

I know yall love pic's, here is my current door lock/handle assembly.

DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Get a key lockbox. Then you can give the code to open the lockbox to anyone that needs it. The lockbox can be put in any compartment that is accessible when the boat is locked up. They are cheap, probably about $20 or so. No need to change the lock on the door, just make an extra key.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Austin, Texas
Vessel Name: Golden Eye
Vessel Model: Burger 52 LRC
Dave, putting a lock box is probably the cheapest and easiest solution, which was my original plan. Just thought I would ask the guru's here for additional suggestions. Not a big fan of lock boxes. Besides, if you ever want to go down a rabit hole, watch LockPickingLawyer, dude opens lock boxes in under 30 seconds, time after time after time.

I know we are just trying to keep honest people honest anyways here, boats are pretty easy to break into.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #4

City: NE Florida
yes, watching those lock picking vids give pause for sure....
but remember
that same lock picker could get through that door pretty quick too
and would likely be able to get through a lot of keypad locks even quicker

My thought
put the spare key lock box in a hidden and protected place, and someplace where it's not so easy to whack it with a hammer....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The average person will not know how to open a lockbox without the code. And if you stick the lockbox in a locker under something nobody will know it is there. On a house they usually hang from a door knob or hose bib so they are out in sight. If you keep it out of sight it will be more secure than the door itself. And it is cheap and easy to do.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: TODAY
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43 LRC
I just keep a key hidden in the cockpit of my boat. My dock neighbor and a couple of other folks know the location. It wouldn't take much effort to get in the saloon, with or without a key.

Your deadbolt may be compatible with one of the smart locks that's now available. It certainly looks more like a standard lockset than anything on my boat.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I hung a set of keys up high in the lazarette. It is high and awkward enough to be a pain to get at. I just used a Tyrap to hold the two keys and provide a hanger from a hook. THey are NOT visible even when in the lazarette unless there are some contortions involved.

If someone wanted into my boat, a thief, I seriously doubt they would bother with finding the keys. T
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: South Florida
There is a selection of mechanical digital door lock sets available. We have one on our back door that works well and has for years.

This is just one when I searched for "screen door digital lock." These units fit the thinner doors found on boats

https://www.harneyhardware.com/produ...RoCkD8QAvD_BwE
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have a key hidden on the boat. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a wise idea to publish where it is hidden on the Internet.

Hint: It is stored in something that is easily taken apart. I finally had to use it myself last year when we were 500 miles from home and I forgot to take my regular key with me and locked the boat.

I would think that most any boat has several good places to hide a key where a casual thief would not think to look. Use your imagination.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I usually left my GB42 unlocked to avoid the damage thieves will inflict upon the doors and/or windows. It can cost as much to rebuild doors and windows as anything that might be stolen. In 29 years, never had an issue.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I usually left my GB42 unlocked to avoid the damage thieves will inflict upon the doors and/or windows. It can cost as much to rebuild doors and windows as anything that might be stolen. In 29 years, never had an issue.
I never locked my Albin. Never had an issue.
Also left the key in the ignition.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We never lock our boat either and the engine starters are switches, not keys. I'll bet 90% of the boats are wide open at our 400 slip marina. But then it's South Dakota where we generally live in a low-crime time warp, and we're above a dam on the Misdouri so if you wanted to steal the whole boat, you could only run 26 miles.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Leaving a door unlocked bur rigged to a loud alarm should be enough in most marinas.

Leave the door on the water side unlocked , so the person investigating has a longer distance to be seen.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
What are you really protecting by locking the door? Booze? mac and cheese in the cabinet??
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What are you really protecting by locking the door? Booze? mac and cheese in the cabinet??
Helps discourage someone deciding to hold a party on the boat. Unlocked, waltz in, drink whatever's there and do 'whatever' inside. You'd hope the marina or other slipholders might notice/discourage such things but that's not always likely.

A key stashed somewhere 'not obvious' is a simpler option, and one I use. If using a lockbox you'd likewise want to put is somewhere out of view/the elements.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #16

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: TODAY
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That's how I console myself with my obsolete electronics: nobody will steal them!
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Helps discourage someone deciding to hold a party on the boat. Unlocked, waltz in, drink whatever's there and do 'whatever' inside. You'd hope the marina or other slipholders might notice/discourage such things but that's not always likely....
Would that really happen? Maybe I've been sheltered but if we ever came down to the marina and found strangers throwing a party on our boat -- or anything else -- seems highly unlikely. Teenagers sitting on the swim step yeah, found that once, but not inside. Well, as far as we know, by the time we got there... Oh great, now I have to worry about "unauthorized" indoor recreational activities.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Would that really happen? Maybe I've been sheltered but if we ever came down to the marina and found strangers throwing a party on our boat -- or anything else -- seems highly unlikely. Teenagers sitting on the swim step yeah, found that once, but not inside. Well, as far as we know, by the time we got there... Oh great, now I have to worry about "unauthorized" indoor recreational activities.
Yeah, it does. Had it happen on previous boat.

Current boat found a box of empty beer bottles on the foredeck, but at least nothing inside, since it was locked. Guess the view from the t-head of the dock was too nice to ignore it being someone else's boat.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #19

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Charter boat: the door locked fine from the outside with a padlock. One family chartering, was upset that they couldnít lock it from the inside when they or their kids were aboard. They were concerned about someone breaking in at a marina or when anchored. Desolation Sound/ Gulf Islands. It hadnít even crossed my mind.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Lake Champlain, VT
Vessel Name: Island Bound
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 48'
I ended up putting a keypad door lock on our main plexiglass door - purchased from HD or Lowes. The door was a bit thinner than a standard house door but I was able to get it to work. The boat was in saltwater for about 3+ years before moving to freshwater earlier this year - plenty of exposure to spray and just overall corrosive conditions. We lived aboard for 2 years so we had laptops/iPads etc. on board as well as two cats - it was convenient to program a code in just for the cat-sitter and then delete it. One button pushing for locking, push any button to light up the keypad. I did keep a key hidden just in case there was some type of electronic failure.

While I'm sure it wasn't the most secure system, it always worked (still does!) and my thinking was "it will keep an honest man honest", no "mistaken/wrong boat" for someone to board and snoop around.
Greggnvt is offline   Reply With Quote