Don't like difficult-to-read boat name fonts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a relative who owns a graphics shop. He can cut anything out of high-performance vinyl and so makes a lot of boat names for customers.
A good rule-of-thumb dimension for boat letter size on a typical transom is that the height of the name letters should be 1/3rd of the dimension from the waterline to the top of the transom. If you have a swim platform, it would take the place of the waterline from a visual perspective. The hailing port letters would be a simpler block font and approx 1/3rd of the name letters.
So let’s say your transom is 30” from the top of the swim platform to the top of the transom: The letters would be (approx) 10” tall. A block letter style (not script) is considered traditional, with or without “serifs” or shadowing. He doesn’t do gold leaf but it’s not uncommon to use for the shadow effect.
Your first reaction might be “That seems too tall”. But when you look at a boat with this letter style and height ratio it looks pretty good.

That is a real "rule of thumb".... my graphics design training, brief as it was, would suggest to me that some name lengths and fonts would heavily influence letter size.... mayve even change the font you were hoping for.

In todays day and age, it is so easy to take a picture of the stern of your boat and then try different styles and sizes of letters with a computer.

There ya go, whether you like it or not!

Attachments

• Font on Transome.jpg
    Font on Transome.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 68
Now you need a dingy on the swim step so no one can read it:flowers:

There ya go, whether you like it or not!

I'm assuming not documented, in which case you're free to do what you wish. My personal feeling is that if putting a name on, it's best to follow the same rules as for documented vessels. It's attractive and definitely not suggesting you change it. However, I'd suggest two things to others:

1-Follow documentation name rules.
2-Place the name and homeport higher on the stern so they'll be easier to see.

I'm assuming not documented, in which case you're free to do what you wish. My personal feeling is that if putting a name on, it's best to follow the same rules as for documented vessels. It's attractive and definitely not suggesting you change it. However, I'd suggest two things to others:

1-Follow documentation name rules.
2-Place the name and homeport higher on the stern so they'll be easier to see.

It's registered with the USCG. If I get boarded and get a ticket then I'll change it. I hope I don't have to cuz I think it's legible and it looks great.

Last edited:
It's registered with the USCG. If I get boarded and get a ticket then I'll change it. I hope I don't have to cuz I think it's legible and it looks great.

I think you're perfectly legal.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

There is no requirement for any specific type of lettering. Only size and legibility.

It's interesting that everyone marks stern but that's not a requirement either.

I think you're perfectly legal.

The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

There is no requirement for any specific type of lettering. Only size and legibility.

It's interesting that everyone marks stern but that's not a requirement either.

It is assumed you are quoting from a regulation of record. It is interesting to have a long held understanding clarified if this is in fact, a federal regulation. It has been my understanding the hailing port had to have an assigned post office.
No big deal, it would seem a correction to my history.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

It has been my understanding the hailing port had to have an assigned post office.

Just needs to be an officially recognized "place" and IIRC there's also one (or maybe two) specified reference documents where officially recognized "places" are named. Any "place" in that (or those) document(s) is OK.

No need for post office. (Our "place" is from a circa 1654 colonial settlement, and doesn't have it's own post office.)

-Chris

Now you need a dingy on the swim step so no one can read it:flowers:

Yup that's my situation. So I have name boards on the forward 1/3 of the hull.
Not sure if that will satisfy the USCG but, .....

Realistically...

I don't intend to test this theory, but I'm pretty sure one could use the craziest multi-colored 'cursive' writing available for the transom name, and use "Pork & Bean, BFE" for the hailing port, and never get a comment from the USCG. Unless you pissed them off and they were just looking for a random reason to write you up. Has anyone been scolded or fined for non-compliant transom info? In 45+ years of boating I've never heard anyone mention it.

Looks great to me, too! :thumb:

Last edited:
It is assumed you are quoting from a regulation of record. It is interesting to have a long held understanding clarified if this is in fact, a federal regulation. It has been my understanding the hailing port had to have an assigned post office.
No big deal, it would seem a correction to my history.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Yes, quoting from National Vessel Documentation Center - FAQ

So you put your PO Box number on your transom? CHUCKLE

It doesn't ask for street address. Just city and state. However, you could make your PO Box number your name.

The place and state are not there for location purposes, but are there to distinguish you from all the other boats with the same name. Knowing that as the purpose, not saying where you are really from, then the more unusual or off the beaten boating path, would actually meet the objective better. If you choose a common location like Miami, there may be several more boats with the same name and place. However, if you chose Accident, Maryland or Experiment, Georgia or Big Arm, Montana, you'll likely be unique.

Wifey B: I wonder what would happen if you submitted these. I know the name of the boat can't be lewd but what about the place? These are all legit places.

Some states have more than others. I think PA wins with Intercourse, Blue Ball, Big Beaver, Lickdale, Rough and Ready, and Virginville. NC just has Climax. Love Valley, Lizard Lick, Engelhard, Hookerton, and Forbush. Other faves would be Fingerville and Sugar Tit, SC, Sweet Lips, TN, Honeyville, Utah, Assawoman, VA, Nutterville, WV, Spooner and Spread Eagle, WI, Teton Village, WY (only makes sense if you know French translation), Hooker and Dripping Springs, OK, Effingham, NH, Conception, MO. Michigan seems to like anatomy with Colon and Dick. Idaho is weird with Cream Can Junction and Dickshooter. Many more to choose from. :rofl:

It doesn't ask for street address. Just city and state. However, you could make your PO Box number your name.

The place and state are not there for location purposes, but are there to distinguish you from all the other boats with the same name. Knowing that as the purpose, not saying where you are really from, then the more unusual or off the beaten boating path, would actually meet the objective better. If you choose a common location like Miami, there may be several more boats with the same name and place. However, if you chose Accident, Maryland or Experiment, Georgia or Big Arm, Montana, you'll likely be unique.

I am pretty sure my boat's name, Kinja, is unique or near so for pleasure boats in this part of the world.

You can look here, at least the ones that are documented.

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

It is named after an island in Virgin Islands, I am told.
There is an organization of the same name. Their motto is "understanding through discussion." That seems to give woman hope. Alas, it is, to me false hope. LOL
I have also been told by someone from the islands, it also means Drug Lord.
LOL That one I can do without.

Wifey B: I wonder what would happen if you submitted these. I know the name of the boat can't be lewd but what about the place? These are all legit places.

Some states have more than others. I think PA wins with Intercourse, Blue Ball, Big Beaver, Lickdale, Rough and Ready, and Virginville. NC just has Climax. Love Valley, Lizard Lick, Engelhard, Hookerton, and Forbush. Other faves would be Fingerville and Sugar Tit, SC, Sweet Lips, TN, Honeyville, Utah, Assawoman, VA, Nutterville, WV, Spooner and Spread Eagle, WI, Teton Village, WY (only makes sense if you know French translation), Hooker and Dripping Springs, OK, Effingham, NH, Conception, MO. Michigan seems to like anatomy with Colon and Dick. Idaho is weird with Cream Can Junction and Dickshooter. Many more to choose from. :rofl:

B/B, :flowers:we share different philosophies on many subjects, of that there is no doubt, but from the deepest part of my heart, this post has to be among the best responses on a subject in a long long while, I have not stopped laughing and am going to highlight this and post to many boating friends. Great post, truly:rofl::rofl:

B/B, :flowers:we share different philosophies on many subjects, of that there is no doubt, but from the deepest part of my heart, this post has to be among the best responses on a subject in a long long while, I have not stopped laughing and am going to highlight this and post to many boating friends. Great post, truly:rofl::rofl:

Wifey B: People try to sneak stuff on personalized license plates all the time. It's almost like a game to see if the person approving the name will catch it.

Here are some for you.

Here's 10 Super Sexual Vanity License Plates - CollegeHumor Post

:)

I’m documented and followed the rules.

Attachments

• 7B7F53F7-7EB6-4E44-85DA-6EC8B9D13E38.jpg
    7B7F53F7-7EB6-4E44-85DA-6EC8B9D13E38.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 71

It is only a matter of time before the goodie two shoes moral police start trying to change the names to something "vanilla"
If it is the state, they better gear up for a battle with the Feds over the documented vessels.

Wonderful post, Wifey B.

Dan – they’ve been at it for a long time. I was up in Idaho in the late 60s when the USGS unilaterally decided to change the Oregon historic place name “Whorehouse Meadow” to “Naughty Girl Meadow” on maps. In 1972, Oregon kicked this up to the USGS in DC. From the minutes: “The [federal] Board has not received sufficient evidence to warrant a decision, but feels that approval of the name endorsed by the Oregon Board would not be in keeping with its general policy of not approving names which might be considered objectionable by a large segment of the public.”

You need to understand that Harney County, in southeast Oregon, ain’t Portlandia – larger land area than either MA, VT, NH, NJ, CT, DL, or RI. With a population of 7,200 (2015). They fought! It took until 1982 for the USGS Board (after 9 months) to vote “to give official recognition to a name reported to be in established local use.” As far as I know, it’s still Whorehouse Meadow.

On another note, I find that Canadians may have a corner on picturesque place names. My personal favorite: Dildo, Newfoundland. Sitting at the confluence of Dildo Creek with Dildo Arm, east of the Dildo Islands and Spread Eagle Bay.

So you put your PO Box number on your transom? CHUCKLE

HaHa Dan,
I would submit that the name of the port where the boat is moored is the only acceptable thing under the name of the boat. And if one feels like adding more perhaps the slip # would be the only option. :hide:

One of the previous owners did this and we haven't seen a need to change it (except the hailing port).

Attachments

• liberty_stern.jpg
    liberty_stern.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 70
HaHa Dan,
I would submit that the name of the port where the boat is moored is the only acceptable thing under the name of the boat. And if one feels like adding more perhaps the slip # would be the only option. :hide:

Where the boat is moored has nothing to do with the hailing port.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom