Old 11-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #61
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
See my post. The key is for the boat being passed to slow down or take way off so that the passer can get by at minimum wake.
Yes, but this is the post I was questioning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
If the passing marine motorist knows how to give a wakeles pass there is no reason for the boat being passed to slow at all.
On an unrelated note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I know brokers push for Hailing Ports in low tax states, but by law, the hailing port has absolutely nothing to do with where or how the boat is taxed.
This is absolutely true, as far as the USCG cares, the hailing port can be any legitimate US place name.

However, be aware that many STATES will scour the list of newly documented vessels and send nasty letters demanding taxes to any with a hailing port in their state. You're then forced to prove either the boat is in another state, or you have already paid your taxes.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #62
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
So, why do many boaters use difficult-to-read fonts for their boats' names? That irks me, and wonder why USCG documentation rules don't help.
I agree Mark. The only thing worse than difficult to read fonts are boat names that are difficult to pronounce without prior knowledge.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I agree Mark. The only thing worse than difficult to read fonts are boat names that are difficult to pronounce without prior knowledge.
Sometimes best to have others, perhaps even strangers, read the names and tell you what they think, completely cold. They may know slang that you don't and turns the name into something you don't want it to be. They may also not know how to pronounce something you don't realize is a problem. Really, just ask the man on the street, much like an informal focus group. Over the years, I've been shocked by reactions in focus groups to names.

I recall a friend who relocated to Sydney, Australia for a few years. He was shocked his first day there as his secretary was making sure he had all the supplies he needed for his desk. He was a bit taken back when he thought she asked if he found the condoms in his drawer. Actually she was talking about erasers, when she used the word "rubbers."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #64
Guru

I continue to be amazed at how many people don't know Cygnus (my boat's name) is a constellation (the Northern Cross.) They seem to think it's some deep, mystical thing they'll never understand.

The point is, B made a very good suggestion. Ask around before you finalize the name!

Our last boat name, Xanadu, was a good one because everyone had heard it; they'd either heard the Rush song, the Olivia Newton-John song, or they were a scholar of Coleridge.

There's a marina in Onset, MA where I'd stop for fuel sometimes before or after passing through the Canal. The dock hand would see me coming in Xanadu and start reciting Coleridge as I tied up. He always got a tip!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #65
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

There's a marina in Onset, MA where I'd stop for fuel sometimes before or after passing through the Canal. The dock hand would see me coming in Xanadu and start reciting Coleridge as I tied up. He always got a tip!
Wifey B: Olivia is much better than Coleridge.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #66
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
...Our last boat name, Xanadu, was a good one because everyone had heard it; they'd either heard the Rush song, the Olivia Newton-John song, or they were a scholar of Coleridge.

That previous boat wasn't a 1996 Mainship 370 was it? We bought ours in Somerset, MA which I know is a good hike from Onset but the same general area. We kept the name Xanadu. Lots of them around I know, but (1) I'm an English lit major; (2) you have to have some respect for the past and your boat and don't go changing its name willy-nilly unless the previous name is intolerable; and (3) the 80's were my college glory days and I was a huge ELO fan. There, fine, I admitted it.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #67
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:

Originally Posted by FF View Post
If the passing marine motorist knows how to give a wakeless pass there is no reason for the boat being passed to slow at all.
You are right to question it because it completely defies the laws of physics, ot put another way, is just dead wrong.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #68
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Any time a smartass says some snarky remark about my hailing port being inland (our home city), my response is always, “It’s where the money comes from.” They seem to get that.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #69
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
While there may be no such thing as a totally wakeless pass, there are ways that a much better pass than many understand is certainly possible.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #70
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While there may be no such thing as a totally wakeless pass, there are ways that a much better pass than many understand is certainly possible.
As frequent AICW flyers, we've had passes that run the gamut. I'd say the SF delivery jocks are up there with the worst with the 50+ ft SeaRays, they either don't care or may just be lousy handlers. OTOH, I did experience a few passes from top-notch pros in big SF's who hailed me, explained that they were going to come quickly up on my quarter, drop down and slide by pretty close, wanted me to slow just a bit. They knew precisely what they were doing, and the pass was smooth and minimally disruptive. You could tell they were pros and took great pride in their capabilities. Gave them kudos for their courtesy and professionalism.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #71
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
MHYZHEN

C-C-C-C-C-C-C

these are both on my short list, love em or leave em ?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #72
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
As frequent AICW flyers, we've had passes that run the gamut. I'd say the SF delivery jocks are up there with the worst with the 50+ ft SeaRays, they either don't care or may just be lousy handlers. OTOH, I did experience a few passes from top-notch pros in big SF's who hailed me, explained that they were going to come quickly up on my quarter, drop down and slide by pretty close, wanted me to slow just a bit. They knew precisely what they were doing, and the pass was smooth and minimally disruptive. You could tell they were pros and took great pride in their capabilities. Gave them kudos for their courtesy and professionalism.
Exactly,....

Often they call me and ask me to slow down...I say I am slow enough as it is...explain to them when and where plus how to pass...they do it...see how little muss and fuss it really can be...and then give me 2 thumbs up.

But there are boat size and speed combos that are hard to make work, but others are a beautiful thing where both parties pass happily.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #73
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've only had a couple of come-from-behind friendly passes addressing my boat. Everyone else goes by regardless ... needing me to "keep on my toes" and turn sharply into strong wakes.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #74
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Any time a smartass says some snarky remark about my hailing port being inland (our home city), my response is always, “It’s where the money comes from.” They seem to get that.
I don’t “get” it Tom.
And what the hell has money got to do w it?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #75
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
When I was a kid, my dad bought a boat with a funny name. We all thought maybe it meant something special to the previous owner. It was painted on and he planned to change it some day after he finished several other projects (sound familiar?). One day I saw my mom staring at the name for a long time, after which she told my dad ”that name comes off the boat or I don’t get on.” She had figured out what “Gnatnoop” spelled backwards meant. Dad professed his innocence for the rest of his days, but he sanded the name off that same night.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #76

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
When Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble went into boat-owning partnership, they disagreed on a name. Fred wanted to christen her "Nautical Lady," while Barney wanted "Sea Queen."

As a compromise, they just took the first three letters of each name and put them together.

True story.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #77
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My boat name came with the boat. I considered changing the name but, that would mean, changing the documentation, changing the name on the really nice name boards and transom and getting it blessed by a member of the clergy, throwing a renaming party and finally like so many things in life, still it would not be mine. Somethings just always 'belong' to the previous owner.
It's not the greatest name in the world. The boat is named "Kinja." Turns out, the name has 3 meanings. I am told it really was really named after for an island in the USVI. Next, the name of an organizations meaning, 'understanding through discussion.' That's fine and makes the ladies smile. SURPRISE, I am a crusty old man. Finally, I have been told, by a man from the islands, it means 'drug lord'. That one, I can do without.
I elected not to change it because I would need a new throw rug and it came with 2 nice 'personalized' yellow foul weather jackets and they are the perfect size.

Try living on a farm. It always belongs to the previous owner. I wanted something delivered, it was always referred to as, "the old Peterson place". If I tried to claim it as my own, no one would know where I was located. Maybe if one lived there long enough, when one sell the farm or dies, it will finally be known your farm. I don't know but maybe, it's the same with a boat.

No matter the name of the boat, the bridge operators will still hate you. They have to log you through the bridge. Even if you name your boat "Fred", the bridge operator may still ask you to repeat the name 2 or 3 times or spell it phonetically, which is another problem for me. I try not to get too creative with my phonetic spelling. I do remember, "U" is not Uranus and "Z" is not zippity-do-da. Life is short, enjoy it but, try not to make it too difficult for others along the way.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
That previous boat wasn't a 1996 Mainship 370 was it? We bought ours in Somerset, MA which I know is a good hike from Onset but the same general area. We kept the name Xanadu. Lots of them around I know, but (1) I'm an English lit major; (2) you have to have some respect for the past and your boat and don't go changing its name willy-nilly unless the previous name is intolerable; and (3) the 80's were my college glory days and I was a huge ELO fan. There, fine, I admitted it.
No a Bayliner. But I've seen very few boats with that name, and I usually remember them. I think I may have run across a Mainship 370 at one point.

My first overnight in a marina with my old Xanadu, in 2003. We tied up at DeMillo's in Portland across the fairway from a larger Carver with the same name. A few years later we were in port with a large (80-100') yacht with that name written in gold lettering on fancy back-lit name boards.

Never liked that movie myself, but my wife is a big Oliva Newton-John fan, so it worked for us.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #79

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Quote:

On an unrelated note:
"Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I know brokers push for Hailing Ports in low tax states, but by law, the hailing port has absolutely nothing to do with where or how the boat is taxed."

This is absolutely true, as far as the USCG cares, the hailing port can be any legitimate US place name.

However, be aware that many STATES will scour the list of newly documented vessels and send nasty letters demanding taxes to any with a hailing port in their state. You're then forced to prove either the boat is in another state, or you have already paid your taxes.
...perhaps this is a reason then if you're mobile and not yet settled on a permanent location, to choose a hailing port where the scouring and hassling will not occur such as RI or Delaware....
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #80
FF
Guru

"However, be aware that many STATES will scour the list of newly documented vessels and send nasty letters demanding taxes to any with a hailing port in their state. You're then forced to prove either the boat is in another state, or you have already paid your taxes."

To add insult to injury many states require marinas and boat yards to present lists , monthly, of boats not from their state.

Done of course free for the state , at the expense of the marina.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote