Old 11-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Honestly, you have to be so close to actually read a boat's name off the stern I can't imagine why you would care how it appears... At sea you are being looked for by hull color when in distress, and by location. We generally mark vessel names on the stern only here, and you don't circle the boat trying to read the name off before you call.

You either know who you're calling, heard someone else call it, or have no idea what the name of the boat is anyway. It sounds like a pretty "pet" peeve unless you are just walking the dock looking at boats...

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
I can say from personal experience that having no name on a suspicious sportfish in the islands means the DEA helo hovers longer.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #23
FF
Guru

"Seize the DAY" was big for a certain set of folks , way back.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #24

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
I chuckle at the earlier post imagining what it's like to use your boat's name in a radio call. That has always been one of my deciding criteria! Exactly the same as naming a dog: pick a name that you're comfortable yelling loudly from the back door.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
All comes down to how and where a boat is used I think. "Serious" waters, locks, bridges, big shipping, you shouldn't be goofy with the name or font. Little closed waters, pulling kids on tubes on weekends, different story.
I agree. I haven't bothered labeling my boat as we have so little boat traffic, there is rarely someone close enough to read a name on your transom.

In this area, I think it is more important to properly register your MMSI number.
These days with most boats having dsc radio, the boat name and details are automatically transmitted to coast guard, commercial vessels, and many pleasure boats.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Seize the DAY" was big for a certain set of folks , way back.
Seas the Day is one of the top names.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot

Hows that pronounced again?
Carquinez is a well-known maritime place name in the SF Bay/Slough area where I boat. The word is a Spanish creation based on a local Indian tribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquinez_Strait
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Illegible names annoy me; dinghies on the swim platform blocking the name are worse; sailboats with the name on the side at the stern seem pointless. Can't offer you a slow pass if I can't read your name till I'm passing you.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
FF, "carpe deum" means "seize the god" ---maybe abbreviated from "seize the goddam line"???
Or "carpe diem", meaning "seize the day" . Also translated as "complain daily".
There is no reason a boat name has to resemble a "capcha" code. Simple, recognizable, and easily understood in speech, is best.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Illegible names annoy me; dinghies on the swim platform blocking the name are worse; sailboats with the name on the side at the stern seem pointless. Can't offer you a slow pass if I can't read your name till I'm passing you.

Ted
Almost by definition single-hulled sailboats are slow. Easily passed with low wake at seven or less knots. ... Beware of quirky sailboat maneuvers.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 AM   #31
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:

Ted
Honestly, you shouldn't have to "offer" a slow pass. It would just be courteous to do it if it wasn't horribly inconvenient for you. I am so slow I don't make a wake, but I do appreciate those who do make one slowing down to make my trip more comfortable for all aboard.

I also appreciate the fast boats making their pass close to me so their wake doesn't have time to spread out and the duration is very short rather than rocking my world
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Doug,
Ithink the “pass” business is an east coast thing on the ICW. There in close quarters along “the ditch” and they pass right alongside (almost) and to stbd there’s bridge abutments, nav aids, shallow water and the beach. So you’ve got no place to go in/on a rolly hulled Willard and if some guy on a 46’ SD whatever wants to pass there’s not much you can do ... and they all know it.

If the Willard type boats would slow down to 2 or 3 knots for a few moments the bigger boat could slide by. I’ve tried that but they just plow on by at 10 knots never suspecting you’d slow down. We have some narrow waterways like the Swinomish Channel that we frequent out of necessity as we moor about mid channel. And there’s others but nothing like the endless channel on the east coast. I’ve never seen it so my scope on it is what I’ve picked up on TF.

When others have you at a disadvantage and there’s nothing you can do other than shooting at them and of course you’ll never encounter them again there’s just nothing you can do. Almost. One thing I do at times is to go to full port rudder as he goes by so I just miss his stern as he goes by us so we take the wake more or less head on. My big 45 degree rudder is very responsive. Of course I don’t come so close I could hit him but I’ve fliped the piss off the other way on occasion. I imagine it’s kinda shocking to see another boat broadside right off your stern. Most never even see me do it. If you ever do this check to see if he’s pulling a dink first and for other traffic.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"if some guy on a 46’ SD whatever wants to pass there’s not much you can do ... and they all know it."

If the passing marine motorist knows how to give a wakeles pass there is no reason for the boat being passed to slow at all.

Sadly in 5 decades I have been passed with skill less than 5 times.

Just as docking takes practice , passing a slow boat well takes practice , but it seems a technique seldom demonstrated or learned.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #34
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
"if some guy on a 46’ SD whatever wants to pass there’s not much you can do ... and they all know it."

If the passing marine motorist knows how to give a wakeles pass there is no reason for the boat being passed to slow at all.

Sadly in 5 decades I have been passed with skill less than 5 times.

Just as docking takes practice , passing a slow boat well takes practice , but it seems a technique seldom demonstrated or learned.
Totally agree...at lesst for 90 percent of the time.

The "typical" ICW pass that is often described in literature and forums i what I call the basic pass.

I rarely slow down past my 6.3 knots and tell the passer exactly what I expect depending on what opportunities exist at the time. I often get a "great!, that was different, thanks".

Even most "experienced" boaters dont really get what is involved with 2 boats passing, the distances, size of wakes, etc..... or don't really care.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
When you offer a slow pass on the ICW, or a slough in the California Delta for that matter, the requested routine is for the boat being passed to slow down or take way off completely for a moment so the passing boat can go by at low/no wake speed. Just a couple of knots can make a huge difference. We finally resorted to using the loud hailer to message unresponsive potential pass-ees the vast majority being sail boats and seemingly all too often during snow bird season out here, with a Maple Leaf ensign.

I once dreamed of buying a few cases of cheap hand held VHFs and tossing them into cockpits like the Johnny Appleseed of the ICW.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #36
KSF

City: Murrells Inlet, SC
Vessel Name: Kissed Some Frogs
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 42
Seems sailboats are notorious for having difficult to read/missing/covered boat names.

As a trawler that put's out a pretty good wake, I like to call them ahead and offer a slow pass. Problem is most times you can't find a name until you are pretty much alongside of them.

I try the 'sailboat near green marker ##' or 'sailing vessel with blue hull' but more times than not, I don't get a reply.

I've recently tried a newer tactic when they don't respond by calling 'Sailing vessel ahead of the trawler that's about to wake them' and it's fun to watch heads swivel to look.

Unfortunately, it seems that sailboaters don't have the same sense of humor that us Trawler folks have and I usually get a snide comment.
KSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #37
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what a "wakeless pass" is.

I know that staying on a plane leaves less of a wake, although my current boat doesn't plane. I know that going below hull speed leaves little wake, but if the boat I'm passing is going that same speed, the pass will never happen.

I know that what many small boats in "no wake" zones do, which is dropping the throttle just enough to come off plane and dig the stern in, throws up a much larger wake. But we are talking about a slow boat passing a slower boat here.

That pretty much leaves passing in a wide arc, so that the bulk of the wake is directed away from the passed vessel.

Is there another technique I'm not familiar with?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #38

City: Washington
Quote:

Ted
I agree on all points. Also named that are difficult to understand or pronounce.

Sometimes bridge operators ask for the name of the vessel and home port. It doesn't make sense to have a name that you have to spell out each time you say it.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Well at least" Carpe Deum " has died off as a name.
Not sure that one ever caught on...but Carpe Diem was definitely overused.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #40

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSF View Post
Seems sailboats are notorious for having difficult to read/missing/covered boat names.

As a trawler that put's out a pretty good wake, I like to call them ahead and offer a slow pass. Problem is most times you can't find a name until you are pretty much alongside of them.

I try the 'sailboat near green marker ##' or 'sailing vessel with blue hull' but more times than not, I don't get a reply.

I've recently tried a newer tactic when they don't respond by calling 'Sailing vessel ahead of the trawler that's about to wake them' and it's fun to watch heads swivel to look.

Unfortunately, it seems that sailboaters don't have the same sense of humor that us Trawler folks have and I usually get a snide comment.
I have resorted to the horn when I get no response on the radio. At least they will look even if they don't understand the horn signal. Sometimes they respond with a hand signal.

aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote