Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #21

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
One more thing I think could help is a long-sleeved shirt or extremely light wind-breaker jacket, even on a hot day. You might sweat a bit more, but a cool shower will take care of that and be easier on you than medical attention. I have even gone so far as to wrap a towel around an exposed arm on a long cruising day when the suns rays were not being caught by the canvas top.
Someone once said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; a very applicable concept when considering the relentless rays of the sun.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
One could use an umbrella, but that wouldn't be trawlerlike.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Well, I went back to the Doc today for another fun time. When I was in there a few weeks ago they biopsied two areas and both were positive for a squamous cell carcinoma. The first of those two was the subject of the first two pictures in this thread.

Today I went back and got the second removed. It was above my right ear, right at the bottom of my sideburn. Here's the results.....

This one doesn't hurt nearly as much as the first one and the reason for that is the skin in front of the ear is much more elastic than the skin at the top of the forehead where the first one was cut out. This was a much simpler operation and so far, the pain has been minimal.

I don't know if I mentioned it in the prior posts, but the first one was cut out on a Monday morning. The headache didn't go away until Wednesday around mid-day. Aspirin, ibuprofen and Tylenol 3's didn't curb it so I just had to let it run its course.

Don't forget the sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Well, I ditto all the previous posts as I have just had a melanoma removed from my arm this week and crossing my fingers they got it all. I did get badly burned also in my teen years and ended up in the hospital. Be careful, and that has to start at a young age.

LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
I got some of the highest readings ever on my lightmeter when I did "real" photography in the 70s. Lots of difused light comes from everywhere and the total light is more than direct sunlight. But w direct sunlight all around you, you also get a lot of reflected light standing in the shade.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark,
I got some of the highest readings ever on my lightmeter when I did "real" photography in the 70s. Lots of difused light comes from everywhere and the total light is more than direct sunlight. But w direct sunlight all around you, you also get a lot of reflected light standing in the shade.

So true Eric, even with broad brim hats you still need sunscreen on the head and neck and other exposed areas. Recently purchased some UPF rated shirts as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Damage leading to melanoma usually happens while young. Yesterday I heard an interview with a research medico reporting great progress in treatment in the last 3 years,such that secondaries, previously usually rapidly fatal, are much more susceptible to successful treatment. Prevention is best, but treatment is improving.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
A real downside for our sunny climate. Temp today 44 C(111 F)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote