The Domino Effect = $$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
So a few weeks ago the blower unit thingy went out in the front AC. It lives under our bed in the master stateroom.
That's where it all started.
We had to pull the mattress out to get to it. Took a close look at it and said that thing is not going back in the boat. So...now we need to buy a new mattress.
While we had it out we decided it was a good time to pull out the ugly carpet on the ceiling and walls. Now we have to figure out what to put up in its place.
While looking at the AC unit and hubby talking to manufacturer, found out the blower unit doesn't come off..it's welded, soldered, whatever. That led to hubby saying we just need to buy a whole new unit. THAT led hubby to say well it's the AC in the salon that does most of the work and we know it has a small slow leak so we should go ahead and replace that one too.
THAT led to having to fool with the water heater in order to get part of the unit out and hubby said gross stuff was coming out of the line and he decided that needs to be replaced too.

So what started out with replacing one busted blower has turned into a new mattress, new headliner, new wall coverings, new floor in the lower area, two new complete reverse cycle systems, and a new water heater.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Good times on the SoS :rofl:

Lol. You make it sound soooooooo dramatic.

I think it`s called "a creeping fault".

That sounds about right... at some point you will have replaced all the systems in your boat and you can just do basic maintenance and go boating.

Al beat me to it. What's your point? You own a boat. This creeping crud is built into them one way or another.

At least that's what it seems like some times.

And think, you still have two engines, generator, stove, refrigerator, heads, electronics, bottom paint, topsides paint, rebed all the windows and deck hardware. Would you like some fishing equipment, fish finder, rods, reels, lures, nets, gaffs, down riggers, bait. How about a new dinghy?

Yep, the fun has just begun.

I feel your pain.
On a happier note, I was in Madisonville before Christmas looking at a basket case Litton 43. Good pair of Volvos and Genset. The rest was ready for the sawsall.:hide:
In any case, the town captured me, lovely place.

What are these things you speak of? Mattress, water heater? Never heard of them! Don't tell my wife boats are suppose to have such luxuries.

I feel your pain.
On a happier note, I was in Madisonville before Christmas looking at a basket case Litton 43. Good pair of Volvos and Genset. The rest was ready for the sawsall.:hide:

I don't think there is such a thing, certainly not 2 in the same boat. :rolleyes:

Ted

I think it`s called "a creeping fault".

Among classic British car enthusiasts it's called "shipwright's disease." (Funny I've never heard anyone in the boating world actually call it that.). The way it was explained to me--probably inaccurately--shipwrights working on old wooden sailing vessels would tear off the hull cladding, find worm damage or rot and keep removing layers of planking until they reached sound wood (or didn't). For car folks the admonition was: learn when to stop digging for problems! Not sure that works so well for boats. But it's true that the more you look for problems with older boats or cars, the more you'll find.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 59
But........look at all the maintenance tasks you accomplished! You could think of it as efficiency.

Among classic British car enthusiasts it's called "shipwright's disease." (Funny I've never heard anyone in the boating world actually call it that.). The way it was explained to me--probably inaccurately--shipwrights working on old wooden sailing vessels would tear off the hull cladding, find worm damage or rot and keep removing layers of planking until they reached sound wood (or didn't). For car folks the admonition was: learn when to stop digging for problems! Not sure that works so well for boats. But it's true that the more you look for problems with older boats or cars, the more you'll find.

One of our marina neighbors who live aboard a beautiful old sailboat just found termites in their boat!
That's scary!

I didn't really have a point...just wanted to hear myself talk. Or see myself type...or something.

Btw, Ive been sanding for months....still not done but getting close. Then the painting of the topside starts. Still nervous about that.

I say try and look past the money and work needed to get it done and imagine how nice it will be to have a new more comfy mattress, better looking walls, cleaner hot water and quieter air conditioning.:)

I feel your pain.

Madisonville is a great town,,, heading there in 2 weeks for a few months

One of our marina neighbors who live aboard a beautiful old sailboat just found termites in their boat!
That's scary!

It is terrifying for more than the sailboat owners. Hope the marina and neighbors are getting inspections.

As to your experience, it sounds a bit like a Farmers Commercial.

Madisonville is a great town,,, heading there in 2 weeks for a few months

Hopefully someone will reopen in the Friends building soon. Before boating season starts!

That sounds about right... at some point you will have replaced all the systems in your boat and you can just do basic maintenance and go boating.

That's probably about the time it will all start all over again! Haha

I feel your pain.

We love our little town!

Our checkbook thinks it is....it's hyperventilating. Lol

You should re-christen your boat as "Sanctuary of Insanity".

Don't worry, there are plenty more gremlins lurking waiting to get into your bank account. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You should re-christen your boat as "Sanctuary of Insanity".

Don't worry, there are plenty more gremlins lurking waiting to get into your bank account. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh believe me, I've thought about it...lol
We still love the old girl though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom