Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Dinghy tie downs

I need some suggestions on a way to securely tie down the dinghy when it is on the boat deck.

I currently have the dinghy raised to the deck using a crane. It rests on soft chocks. I don't have a good method of securing the dinghy however. I am looking for ideas for some type of fitting or system that I can use. My family is pretty adamant that they don't want toe stubbers on the deck for when the dinghy isn't there and the deck is being used for lounge space. On the port side I do have some stanchions that are close to the dinghy on either side. Since the ida is to simply keep the dinghy from moving in heavy seas the base of the stanchion would be sufficient for that if I had a good way of attaching a tie down to it.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I need some suggestions on a way to securely tie down the dinghy when it is on the boat deck.

I currently have the dinghy raised to the deck using a crane. It rests on soft chocks. I don't have a good method of securing the dinghy however. I am looking for ideas for some type of fitting or system that I can use. My family is pretty adamant that they don't want toe stubbers on the deck for when the dinghy isn't there and the deck is being used for lounge space. On the port side I do have some stanchions that are close to the dinghy on either side. Since the ida is to simply keep the dinghy from moving in heavy seas the base of the stanchion would be sufficient for that if I had a good way of attaching a tie down to it.

Any and all ideas welcome.
Hate to say it but toe stubbers you will need. If you run to the stantion bases you create a really bad trip hazard.
You really need a secure method of holding the dink on the bow. The calm stuff is not the concern, it's when you get into the really big ugly water that you need it. I use 2" transom trailer straps for mine and I must say that sometimes gives me pause.
Think about this I boat on the Great Lakes. As I said earlier I use 2"straps with SS hardware.
Look at my avatar to see my dink. I got caught in an ugly mess one day, stuffed the bow , broke the straps and almost washed the whole thing off the deck.
As always, you don't gear up for the easy stuff, you plan for the worst.
Your crew will get used to the deck. And I would have a professional mount that stuff so you know your deck and dink are secure.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks. I also think that toe stubbers will be necessary. I currently have the bow secured pretty well but after the pounding I got last weekend I found that the dinghy moved more than I am comfortable with.

Any specific fittings folks can recommend?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 11-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Stainless eyes or d rings screwed to deck with ratcheting cargo straps. Rachet straos will need to be replaced from time to time.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Dave,

I don't have pictures, but will get them if you want to see the system I have. Basically, there are four chocks that the dinghy sits on and three fittings on the deck that have short lengths of wire with snap shackles on each end that secure the dinghy to the deck. The shackles are one on the bow and two that go to the transom. There is no movement of the dinghy while underway. The chocks have a quick disconnect that allows you to remove them from flat fittings on the deck when the dinghy is in use.

I think Fisheries sells them as below.

Universal Dinghy Mounting Chocks W/ Removable Base - Swivel Stanchions - Weaver Industries | Fisheries Supply

Bruce
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Thanks. I also think that toe stubbers will be necessary. I currently have the bow secured pretty well but after the pounding I got last weekend I found that the dinghy moved more than I am comfortable with.

Any specific fittings folks can recommend?
Mine are D rings attached to plates that have 3-4 mounting holes. Installed with screws and 5200. I have 3, one bow and two transom.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
We have little flip down pad eyes that surface mount and are easy on the toes.

Folding Pad Eye 11/32"
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
You can get flip-up pads which are recessed and nearly flush or flush when folded. Obviously more work to install. More Googling will bring you more: "flush anchor points marine stainless"

Pad Eyes | Fisheries Supply
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
If your dingy chocks are sufficient then folding padeyes would be best. I have the Weaver removeable chocks and wrap SS ratcheting straps around the chock legs and it is really secure. I regret installing the extra FRP pads, although provided drainage angle required. With the chock removed they are not toe stubbers, but are a bit of a trip hazard
Attached Thumbnails
RIB Chocks sml.jpg  
Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:

I currently have the dinghy raised to the deck using a crane. It rests on soft chocks. I don't have a good method of securing the dinghy... .
Not sure what you mean by "soft chocks". Depending what they are, is it possible to make the chocks the securing points for the tie downs? That way the tie downs are no more a trip or toe hazard than the chocks are already. The less you drill and screw into the FB deck the better. My teak brackets supporting solar panels(much lighter of course) are Sikaflex(=5200) attached to the deck, still well stuck after 6 years.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dave,
I just use 4 pad eyes and 1/4" or 3/16" nylon line. I tie a bowline in one end and pass the bitter end through both pad eyes and through the the loop (bowline). A total of four lines will be over the top of the dinghy. Cinch up w two or three half hitches. When you tighen it a weak dinghy may tend to bow in at the gunwales. If that's a threat use knotched spreader boards.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Guru

Great ideas folks. Thanks.

Dave
SPOT page