Doggie life jacket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julsburd

Veteran Member
Can anyone recommend a dog lifejacket for a 60 lb. dog? She is very comfortable in and around the water but we want one she can wear when underway that is comfortable and has a grab handle on the top. I am searching myself but any previous experience with this would be great.

The caddilac of dog life jackets is the ruff wear float coat. It has a handle on top. It's strong enough to help pull our 90 lb lab put bull mix into the boat.

We have used the West Marine pet life jackets. Here is a page of them- https://www.westmarine.com/dog-life-jackets

The yellow one comes in four different sizes up to 120 lbs. We use the handle frequently to lift our dog up from the dingy to the boat or over onto the dock from the dinghy.

David

The caddilac of dog life jackets is the ruff wear float coat. It has a handle on top. It's strong enough to help pull our 90 lb lab put bull mix into the boat.

+1 on Ruff Wear. The top handle is a big dinghy aid as well as for rescue. Top quality.

I asked this question on the sailing forum and Ruff Wear won hands down for recommendations. So I purchased a Ruff Wear for my dog. If you can, I highly recommend you take your dog with you for a fitting.

I bought a Outward Hound Kygen 22021 on Amazon. It has heavyweight velcro that attaches under the belly. I particularly liked that it has 2 handles on top to pick the dog up with. We have an 85 pound black Lab. He likes to wear it because when we put it on him we give him a treat. I carry him around with it to get him used to it. Another treat and he is happy.

Ruffwear for our German Shepherd, he loves to wear it!

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_111052_1.jpg
    IMG_20191109_111052_1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 53
By the way the Ruffwear life jackets are on sale at sportsman's Warehouse for $39.97
Cheers
Eric

This one from West Marine works well. See line tied to harness.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_075919.jpg
    IMG_20190525_075919.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks to all! I had already zeroed in on the Ruff Wear but they don't have the yellow color in stock yet. The idea of taking my dog with me to try on is a good one. I want to make sure it clears the pee zone and is easy to put on and off. We tried putting a hunting orange jacket on Sydney a few years ago and she wouldn't take a step in it so we definitely need treats and training.

I recommend you to buy AquaPro Pet Life Jackets, I also purchased it for my dog New Year coupon codes at reecoupons, after wearing it my dog feels very comfortable. its lightweight my dog feels very comfortable after wearing it.

Our 57 lb mixed breed likes her Stearns. It's nothing real special, but we were glad it had a handle on the back when she skidded right off a mossy, dew covered pier one morning.

We used Outward Hound PFDs for our Pyrenees and Goldens, easy to get on the critter since it's open under the belly (velcro) and around the neck (click buckle, I think). Had handles, worked well enough.

But the Ruff Wear looks good...

We also got some non-PFD underbelly/underneck harnesses with handles that the dogs could wear all the time, like at the marina, without regard to ambient temps on any given day. These were mostly about a way to lift a soggy dog back onto the boat if necessary.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom