Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So if I get the jest of this thread, apologies if I'm wrong, there are no business people who want to take advantage of you, they are all loving people charging what they need to charge. Has that really been your experience in life. My experience is that most people try to do the right thing, but not all people do the right thing, again I could be wrong.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Supply and Demand
Whatever the market will bear.
Nothing personal.

Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
So if I get the jest of this thread, apologies if I'm wrong, there are no business people who want to take advantage of you, they are all loving people charging what they need to charge. Has that really been your experience in life. My experience is that most people try to do the right thing, but not all people do the right thing, again I could be wrong.
No, but charging you for parking isn't taking advantage of you. That's the gist of the responses. The jest is that you believe you are entitled to "Free" Parking. I'd suggest you look up the meaning of jest and gist before responding.

No business person can take advantage unless you let them, but business people do have a right to profits and returns on their investments.

You accused the marina owner of fleecing his customers with absolutely zero basis to say anything he was doing was inappropriate. I am among the first to turn on dishonest or unethical business people, but when one accuses one on such a flimsy basis, I do find it very bothersome and I do so as a businessman.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #24
Guru

The problem is in the rates. The problem is that people became trapped, pay rates they know are too high or sell their house. This occurred when a new owner took over the marina.

I never really used the marina, the location of Deep Cove isn't ideal to keep a boat. To far to go until you can head to popular sailing destinations. Slower boats can take hours to get out into popular sailing and cruising areas.

What they did have there that I liked, wish I was near one now was a fuel pump, like a gas pump except it pumped kerosene. Many of the homes around the bend at one time had no to little electricity so lights were kerosene based. Jest and gist was a spell correct I wasn't paying attention to, I originally spelled it gest.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:59 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
The problem is in the rates. The problem is that people became trapped, pay rates they know are too high or sell their house. This occurred when a new owner took over the marina.

I never really used the marina, the location of Deep Cove isn't ideal to keep a boat. To far to go until you can head to popular sailing destinations. Slower boats can take hours to get out into popular sailing and cruising areas.

What they did have there that I liked, wish I was near one now was a fuel pump, like a gas pump except it pumped kerosene. Many of the homes around the bend at one time had no to little electricity so lights were kerosene based. Jest and gist was a spell correct I wasn't paying attention to, I originally spelled it gest.
The business was likely sold because the old owners weren't making enough and the new owners thought they could do better. It's not their fault there are no alternatives. In fact it speaks to there not being enough demand there. Yes, when you're the only one around you may charge more but that doesn't mean it's all great because it may be a very limited market. If it was a huge moneymaker, more would move in. The fact people are in a difficult situation isn't the fault of the business that serves them. The marina struggles for the very reasons you mention. It's not an ideal spot but serves a limited clientele.

If the new marina owners don't find a way to be profitable, it will result in no marina there, no services. That benefits no one and yet that's the other choice. Why do airlines charge so much more to fly to small markets? If they didn't, you'd have no flights to those areas. I don't have a solution for the homeowners in the area as I don't know it well enough. However, don't turn on the one marina providing them services.

And I knew jest was likely a spell check you didn't catch and I've had my share, but still an ironic misspeak I felt obliged to point out.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #26

City: Richmond VA
Vessel Name: Mad Hatter
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43' DC
Ours does, but it's limited-

Or current marina (Richmond Yacht Basin) is a relatively small affair on the James River, between Richmond VA and Varina. Parking is free, but it is protected by gated access so all visitors need to have the code to get in. We're at one of the few marinas that still have extremely reasonable rates for both liveaboard, transients, and day-boaters.

200$/mo for uncovered slips
250$/mo covered slips (I wish our Hatteras 43 DC would fit!)
+100$ for liveaboard after a long chat with the owner and a firm understanding of the rules and expectations.

Power is through Dominion, so you pay what you use just like at a shoreside home.

Parking is free, but limited space. It can get packed in nice weather, but also limited to one car (commuting/liveaboard) per boat, guests welcome but no long time stays for multiple cars.

Caveat: I've discussed storing my motorcycle under a bike-barn enclosure around behind the shower facilities, down a small dirt road on the property... He's happy to oblige, but with an additional small fee. Moving aboard in a few months for full-time liveaboard, I'll bite the bullet and go for it with my Ural. What can I say? I have expensive hobbies.

Granted, while we have parking, water, pump-out, laundry, bathrooms (2, it's a small marina) and a shower included in costs, internet is almost non-existant and there's very few entertainment/shopping amenities nearby... But it's still better than living in the city, and you can't beat the view from the water.

We're pretty spoiled with our tiny community and low prices, but we all make you for it in pitching in around the marina for upkeep and maintenance, where we can. Sweat equity goes a long way in making good neighbors and good living.
Gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Eventually this profit-minded marina owner may sell to a condominium developer. What options will the captive homeowners have then? I know, the current zoning may prohibit residential uses, but when enough money is involved, zoning ordinances have a way of becoming flexible.

The concerned / affected homeowners might consider forming a cooperative corporation to 1) buy this marina, or at least to secure permanent access for the boats and vehicles, or 2) buy another property and build-out a facility that they and their successors can control.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Supply and Demand
Whatever the market will bear.
Nothing personal.
Oh, did anyone mention the (first?) law of economics? Supply v Demand ?

Google maps shows Deep Cove having that marina, with some parking, the Deep Cove yacht Club, without any parking at all, and the Government Dock, also without any parking. Private residences along the foreshore have private docks, but no parking except for their own garages.
The terrain is steep, the road to the top of Seymour mountain begins its switchback journey to that ski hill mere yards from Deep Cove, and street view shows the steepness of driveways along Panorama Drive, the street that ends in the Marina.

It looks like demand will continue to exceed supply.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The harbour in our town is operated by the city. One parking pass comes with an annual slip renewal. There is paid parking available for non-slip holders. The same parking pass (that you can purchase for $75) allows you to park a truck/trailer combo after using the free boat launch in the center of the harbour. It took considerable pressure to get the city to cough up a "free" pass to the slip holders as we were essentially subsidising the boat launch.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #30
Guru

Eventually this profit-minded marina owner may sell to a condominium developer. What options will the captive homeowners have then? I know, the current zoning may prohibit residential uses, but when enough money is involved, zoning ordinances have a way of becoming flexible.

This will never happen, Deep Cove wants a small town feel and development is restricted and followed up by citizens who will defend that feeling.

Here is the address to my past home there before I moved to Vancouver Island. Put it into Google Earth and check out the amount of "free" space around the Cove. That free space is designated park. I can guarantee you many a developer has looked with lust at this space for homes for the wealthy. This area in Canada comes in at around 7th on the wealth side.

So input this address into Google Earth then zoom out and see how much space there is, zoom out further and you can see the entire "Indian Arm" which is a fjord. Very popular with local boaters with very few Washingtonians going into this area, instead as I said before, the visitors are all anchored in False Creek.

4534 Cove Cliff Road, North Vancouver, BC
Old 04-09-2021, 09:11 PM   #31
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’m curious. Is the marina in question Deep Cove Yacht Club? There a government dock there as well, correct?
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #32
Guru

Not Deep Cove Yacht club, its the one you can see beneath Quarry Rock.