Does anyone actually RENT out Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhousesoccer

The description of this sub-forum says "Boats | For Sale (31 Viewing) Sell, rent or and swap your boat here. Absolutely NO brokers!".

I don't think I've ever seen a listing offering up a boat for rent. The search tool doesn't find one either.

Early 50's here with a dream of joining the club, getting a Trawler, and looping for retirement. My wife *says* sounds great. Not sure she thinks I'm serious, and I don't know how she'd take to the lifestyle.

The only way to tell is to try it, but I'd rather do the trying part with having to buy one. Thinking a few weeks on one as a rental would be great some summer.

But is that really a possiblity? It's not like you're renting a runabout.

Have you tried Googling boat charters? There are a lot of charter companies based on location that have new and some older vessels in their fleet(s).

I have a 39 foot trawler is Mass which I would be willing to trade a week or weeks with another boater however I have never seen anything like that online?

This company has been around for a long time and has good reviews from TF members who have chartered through them.

https://www.swfyachts.com/

Ted

The description of this sub-forum says "Boats | For Sale (31 Viewing) Sell, rent or and swap your boat here. Absolutely NO brokers!".

I don't think I've ever seen a listing offering up a boat for rent. The search tool doesn't find one either.

Early 50's here with a dream of joining the club, getting a Trawler, and looping for retirement. My wife *says* sounds great. Not sure she thinks I'm serious, and I don't know how she'd take to the lifestyle.

The only way to tell is to try it, but I'd rather do the trying part with having to buy one. Thinking a few weeks on one as a rental would be great some summer.

But is that really a possiblity? It's not like you're renting a runabout.

There are websites for informal boat rentals by owners, boat swapping etc., I don’t have the links but I’ve seen them posted here before. What part of the country would you be interested in trying it?

There are websites for informal boat rentals by owners, boat swapping etc., I don’t have the links but I’ve seen them posted here before. What part of the country would you be interested in trying it?

boatsetter.com

I have chartered from a number of bareboat fleets, including Southwest Florida Yachts, and found them to be better than most. The performance metrics are customer service (before the charter and at the time of charter) and, of course, the condition of the boats. SWF doesn't rise to the level of The Moorings, but they were pretty good all around. Their location is easy to get to and the cruising grounds are terrific.

Chartered from them as well and had a good experience. Great way to reconnoiter the NYS Canal segment of the Great Loop.

Bliss, I had a brief discussion of building one for me. They weren't the least bit interested.

I just might be a fool but, I think a canal boat could do the loop, close to shore and the proper weather window.

Thank you all who have responded. This is more than I expected! I didn't realize there were so many chartering places. I really want to charter a Trawler, as that's the style I would like to buy at some point in the future. They are a bit pricey, for sure, for a week's rental in the summer. But it may be worth it to determine for sure whether this is the thing for us (mostly her). I know it's right for me. I grew up boating on the Great Lakes, and operate boats for a living. It's where I need to be in retirement!

Expect to deal with fleet owners not single boat owners until you get into large boats. Nearly all owner/operator insurance policies exclude using the boat fo any commercial purpose including renting it out. Rentals may make sense for larger boats due to tax implications and to defray costs. But for smaller boats increase in insurance policy cost usually wipes out benefit. Even renting out from a fleet operator you may get a lemon and poor support should something go wrong. Would expect probability of a unsatisfactory rental would increase if you’re renting from a individual.
Believe it still makes sense to go through the progression of two foot-itis. You learn at decreased risk as your boat progressively increases in size. I have a visceral dislike of rental fleets. This is due to repetitive examples of unsafe operation, egocentric behavior and periodic need to lend assistance to these vessels as we cruised. Has gotten to the point we avoided areas where rental fleets existed. Still, there are those who own boats in their home waters and rent when they want to experience cruising grounds far away. They are the ores likely to be courteous , skilled operators so can’t paint with too broad a brush.

Last edited:
If you're willing to travel, Anacortes Yacht Charters (Anacortes Yacht Charters) is a great outfit. I've chartered a 36 Selene from them in the past and they are top notch. I've also chartered tri-cabin trawlers in Maine and Vancouver BC. If you do internet searches, use "charter" in the search.

Try Hibiscus Harbor in Cayuga, NY to rent a Nimble Nomad from Cruise-USA. This one is not exactly for what you are looking but could be a way to see if this is a lifestyle you like, especially for the wife.

Anyone have experience with dreamyachtcharter? We were thinking to charter in the Florida Keys with them. The challenge is that they do not maintain current pictures of the boats. The one we're looking at had only 2 pictures, and they told me they are likely just stock photos and not even the actual boat. It's 'too difficult to maintain a photo library with so many boats'. Hard to shell out many thousands of dollars and not even know what you're getting. Moorings and SWF yachts that I've used in the past have plenty of pictures of their fleet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom