Documented Vessels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PasadenaPhil

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1986 Fu Hwa 42’
I renamed my new vessel this season. I received the official documentation papers from the coastguard but there was no decal in there. Just the documentation sheet to be left on board. Am I supposed to take that document to local dmv and request a decal?

Only if the state requires it. Not required in California.

In NC I had to take the sales contract with the price paid to the DMV so the state can collect sales tax.
They do not care about CG docs
Bill

Some states now require state registration payable every year or in NC you can purchase a multiple year decal.
The decal goes on the starboard side although you don't need the registration
number on the hull if you are also documented.
The decal is like the old decals like some stated had you post in windshield with big numbers for the expiration date.
Bill R.

Don’t forget that you have an “antique” vessel (if Maryland does that). I only pay $4/ yr in Florida.

Mine is just an official looking documentation document. I get a new one every year, they all look the same. I keep them on the boat just because they say I should.

There was talk a while back of people thinking it was going to every two years, or I may have been dreaming.

I just sent mine in, I think it was like $26.00. If everything on my boat was that cheap...

pete

You can opt for a 5 year documentation but I think you have to mail it in. Online is only 1 year at this time.

The decal goes on the starboard side although you don't need the registration
number on the hull if you are also documented...

A federally documented vessel is prohibited from displaying state registration numbers

I renamed my new vessel this season. I received the official documentation papers from the coastguard but there was no decal in there. Just the documentation sheet to be left on board. Am I supposed to take that document to local dmv and request a decal?

Not DMV. DNR. Although if you happen to be near Annapolis, the DNR maintains a substation in the DMV building there.

After you've done it once, you can do it by mail thereafter. It's a 2-year decal, costs $10 IIRC.

-Chris

Documented Vessel.

Thanks to all that replied. I got the exact answers I was looking for as well as other great information. Lets all hope for a great 2020 boating season.

"A federally documented vessel is prohibited from displaying state registration numbers"

Our boat is documented, and we display the decal as per these instruction that came with it:
"Pursuant to Section 328.45(5) Florida Statutes this decal must be displayed...If a documented vessel the decal may be affixed to a window..."

I want to do what it right. Can you provide us with info prohibiting the display of state registration decals on documented vessels?

Prohibited from displaying the numbers at the bow. You still display the registration sticker, usually near the helm/midship.

Also, there is a requirement to post your doc number inside the vessel, I had a plaque made and mounted in the engine compartment, there are some specific requirements, i.e. 3 inch numbers etc. In VA, documented vessels do not require registration with the state, sometimes they send a bill, if you just call them they will tell you to toss it. They just roll up the data from the tax rolls.

Also, there is a requirement to post your doc number inside the vessel, I had a plaque made and mounted in the engine compartment, there are some specific requirements, i.e. 3 inch numbers etc.

Those numbers have to be affixed permanently to the hull or some structural component. Basically, it needs to be obvious if they've been removed or changed. Many people have them routed onto a board and fiberglass that to a stringer.

A federally documented vessel is prohibited from displaying state registration numbers

"A federally documented vessel is prohibited from displaying state registration numbers"

Our boat is documented, and we display the decal as per these instruction that came with it:
"Pursuant to Section 328.45(5) Florida Statutes this decal must be displayed...If a documented vessel the decal may be affixed to a window..."

I want to do what it right. Can you provide us with info prohibiting the display of state registration decals on documented vessels?

Prohibited from displaying the numbers at the bow. You still display the registration sticker, usually near the helm/midship.

Also, there is a requirement to post your doc number inside the vessel, I had a plaque made and mounted in the engine compartment, there are some specific requirements, i.e. 3 inch numbers etc. In VA, documented vessels do not require registration with the state, sometimes they send a bill, if you just call them they will tell you to toss it. They just roll up the data from the tax rolls.

Those numbers have to be affixed permanently to the hull or some structural component. Basically, it needs to be obvious if they've been removed or changed. Many people have them routed onto a board and fiberglass that to a stringer.

All true.....:iagree:

The Florida sticker for a documented vessel shows your COD number where a FL registration number would normally be. You’re required to show your COD when registering the boat.

For those who never worried about it...

I have flown NJ Division of Taxation guys around NJ looking at boats and homes that appeared to be "marinas".

Just this week in FL, the Div of Fish and Wildlife were walking the docks looking for registrations. I was amazed at the number of experienced boaters that thought all they needed was documentation. Quite a few warnings were handed out, some to people I know pretty well.

Well in years gone by, the documentation was all you needed in most states. Then states figured out that they could make you register the boat and collect the registration fees so they started doing that. Now I think that just a few don’t require registration of documented boats. It is also a way to collect sales tax on the boats.

Well in years gone by, the documentation was all you needed in most states. Then states figured out that they could make you register the boat and collect the registration fees so they started doing that. Now I think that just a few don’t require registration of documented boats. It is also a way to collect sales tax on the boats.
some states have been requiring it for at least 40 years or more (if my memory is correct)....my bet is a lot of coastal states required it but like many people here today...just didn't know about it.

Last edited:

Documentation is still all that is needed in our state. I did register my last documented boat with the state ( a whopping $26) , just to keep Florida from screwing with us as we passed through, but I didn't bother on our latest vessel. I'll probably get the Florida Sojourners Permit, to keep them at bay this time.

To ALL,

Make sure you are dealing via uscg.mil --Otherwise you will be paying hundreds extra to a thrid party "service" company.

Does the documentation number change with a change in ownership or does it stay with vessel?

Doc # stays the same and you can change ownership, boat name, hailing port
Does the documentation number change with a change in ownership or does it stay with vessel?

Make sure if you plan on changing the name or hailing port do it when you buy the boat and file the initial documentation. If you do it later you have to pay the fee and wait all over again for multiple months.

Documentation

There is no decal associated with documentation. You have to maintain your documentation document on board. You also have to display the name of your vessel on the sides and transom as well as the hailing port. You are also required, to afix a non removable plaque in the engine room which displays your documentation number. You can make one or you can order a nice one online for very little money. Epoxy it to a stringer.

If your state requires you to register your documented boat then you have to go to DMV and do that. They will give you a decal to display.

Also, make sure you are dealing with the Coast Guard and not a third party company that appears to be the Coast Guard. Documentation costs $26 annually from the Coasties. The third party companies will charge you $100.

Last edited:
... You also have to display the name of your vessel on the sides and transom as well as the hailing port. ...

No, for us toy boaters' name and port need only displayed on the stern. And no one needs to display home port on the sides unless desired. And don't display state registration numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
You also have to display the name of your vessel on the sides and transom as well as the hailing port. 00.

Can you substantiate that both stern and sides are require?
AFAIK it is optional and name + port on stern fully complies as long as it meets the text size & font requirements.
Agree with permanent plaque / marking inside hull or on structural hull member. (Replaced previous "main beam" wording)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom