Documented Vessels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually the name and hailing port for recreational vessels must be marked together on the exterior of the vessel, not necessarily on the stern. Commercial vessels must have the name on both sides of the bow and the name and hailing port on the stern.

As to the interior marking, it does not have to be in the engine room, just some place that is clearly a visible interior structural portion of the vessel.

Last edited:
Actually the name and hailing port for recreational vessels must be marked together on the exterior of the vessel, not necessarily on the stern. Commercial vessels must have the name on both sides of the bow and the name and hailing port on the stern.

As to the interior marking, it does not have to be in the engine room, just some place that is clearly a visible interior structural portion of the vessel.

Agree...
There have been some misinterpretations of "clearly visible" by some. It doesn't mean you have to see it when boarding or at helm or other place topside. It means you don't have to remove a component or piece of equipment to see it.... if questioned can you point to it and have the officer see it?
Also it truly had to be a structural (non- removable) member to be correct.

Correct, putting it on a hatch or door doesn’t meet the requirements. And it must show some damage if the numbers are removed.

Actually the name and hailing port for recreational vessels must be marked together on the exterior of the vessel, not necessarily on the stern.

Haven't seen otherwise. Seen always on the stern.

Documentation

No, for us toy boaters' name and port need only displayed on the stern. And no one needs to display home port on the sides unless desired. And don't display state registration numbers.

Excerpt from the regs:

“... The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be clearly visible may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull.”

Due to all the nuances of regulations, law enforcement interpretation of requirements and who knows what, it’s best to over comply.

Haven't seen otherwise. Seen always on the stern.

That is where most people put it, however it is not required to be on the stern for recreational vessels. I bought a boat and the PO had it on the front of the flybridge. It was legal but unusual.

We have a banner with name and hailing port that we can hang off the back of the flybridge railing when the dinghy is up on the swim platform and blocking the name there.

I've seen this a lot, although I'm not 100% sure it meets the requirements. I'm thinking the name is clearly displayed, but temporarily obscured, so I'm OK.

The USCG has published that it is up to the LEO to determine what is an acceptable alternative.

If you have your name and hailing port on the stern but obscured....posting it elsewhere may or may not be acceptable on the spot. If it is not permanently displayed on the hull at all...it could be an issue.

If it is more permanent than a banner over the dingy or painted on it's bottom...you may be more successful in convincing that LEO.

Documentation

Regs state "Clearly marked on the exterior of the vessel". As to the interior marking, it says "permanently affixed to the interior of the hull, so much of the Cabin doesn't apply.

You are correct about the requirements on name and hailing port for Commercial vessels vs Recreational vessels but the problem is that oftentimes even the Coasties (or water patrol of some sort) that stop you aren't totally sure of the regulations so I've found that that you can save yourself a lot of hassle if you post name and hailing port on the stern, name on each side and the documentation plaque on a stringer in the engine room, that seems to satisfy them and saves lots of time and headaches afterwards trying to get everything sorted out.

I have mine on the stern, but the law does not require it there. If i had it somewhere else then I would keep a copy of the regs aboard and if questioned then show them the regs.

Documentation

I have mine on the stern, but the law does not require it there. If i had it somewhere else then I would keep a copy of the regs aboard and if questioned then show them the regs.

While stopped for an inspection, producing regs to show the inspector that he’s wrong is one way to deal with a situation. Over complying to the accepted standard is another. I prefer the later. Less headache. Plus, Name and hailing port on transom and name on port and stbd on the flybridge just looks nice.

To ALL,

Make sure you are dealing via uscg.mil --Otherwise you will be paying hundreds extra to a thrid party "service" company.

We just got our real renewal notice from the USCG a couple of days ago. But, we got the fake one over a month ago; trying to get in first, I guess.

I just bought my first larger boat. 36’ foot trawler. My question is this, what is the advantages/disadvantage of registering the vessel with the coast guard vs titling it.

We just got our real renewal notice from the USCG a couple of days ago. But, we got the fake one over a month ago; trying to get in first, I guess.

And, for the record, we did ours electronically with the USCG, no changes, and we got the new documentation in fast. I want to say it was about three weeks. Quickest ever in my memory.

Documenting vessel

I just bought my first larger boat. 36’ foot trawler. My question is this, what is the advantages/disadvantage of registering the vessel with the coast guard vs titling it.

Honestly, unless you are leaving US territorial waters a lot and then re entering, then there really isn't an advantage that I can see. In fact, there is the disadvantage in that you have to register your boat in most states as well as documenting it so there is extra paperwork, extra cost and more to keep up with. If your boat is not currently documented and you aren't planing to leave and re enter the US a lot, I'd probably skip documentation and just title and register it.

If I'm missing anything here that anyone is aware of, please feel free to correct me.

I think, not certain, that in most states documented boats cannot be registered. I know that to be true in Maryland and Florida.
Honestly, unless you are leaving US territorial waters a lot and then re entering, then there really isn't an advantage that I can see. In fact, there is the disadvantage in that you have to register your boat in most states as well as documenting it so there is extra paperwork, extra cost and more to keep up with. If your boat is not currently documented and you aren't planing to leave and re enter the US a lot, I'd probably skip documentation and just title and register it.

If I'm missing anything here that anyone is aware of, please feel free to correct me.

My boat is documented and registered in Florida. It was also registered in NJ till, I changed residency.

My last liveaboard was documented and registered/ use tax with sticker in Maryland....that was in the late 90's....they still discuss use sticker/fee.

If I had stayed in South Carolina last summer, I would have had to register my boat there, even documented.

Part of the confusion from state to state is the wording of having to tell the government of a state that your boat has been there a length of time that you need to report it and possibly pay so e fee.

Last edited:
I think, not certain, that in most states documented boats cannot be registered. I know that to be true in Maryland and Florida.

Years ago that was true, however now most states do require documented boats to be registered. They can’t display the numbers though, only the registration sticker. The states realized that they were loosing revenue by not having documented boats be registered.

Years ago that was true, however now most states do require documented boats to be registered. They can’t display the numbers though, only the registration sticker. The states realized that they were loosing revenue by not having documented boats be registered.

Even Alaska now requires registration. You get the sticker, no numbers and no title. All this for the sake of the harbor masters that have to put up with derelicts.

For 3 years at a whooping $26.00.

I believe you still have to register the vessel in a state, even if documented but not required to display the numbers; only the decal.
They all want their money.

Documentation

In Florida a documented boat is required to be registered. You are required to display your yearly registration decal but you do not display your registration numbers. Don't know about Maryland but I suspect the laws have changed and that the law there is now similar.

So, why do so many TFers have no state-registration numbers displayed on their hulls? Presumably, they are mostly federally-documented since displaying state registration numbers is prohibited.

So why haven't we seen multiple state registration numbers on boats slowly transiting multiple states?

What's your favorite technique for removing hull-plastered state registration numbers?

Last edited:

It is confusing, but states can require (and most do) that a federally documented vessel be registered, with the state.

What they cannot do, because then you would have two titles to a boat, (since federal documentation is title) is require a documented boat to the titled with the state.

And, states may not require a federally documented vessel to display state registration numbers, although they can require that they display the registration stickers.

But, don't feel bad about not getting it. A lot us on the coast, had our BP oil claim delayed because the federal court kept demanding that we provide our federal documentation papers, and our state title, to process our claim. It took about 1,000 lawyers telling them that would be illegal to have both, and three months, to get the court to relent, LOL!

Our state doesn't require registration, but I finally had to do it, to process our claim, because while they relented on the state titling requirement, their fallback, save face position, was to demand the state registration.

Last edited:
About a month ago Florida F&W went around the Fort Pierce City marina checking for Florida registrations.

About 2/3 of the liveaoards had NO CLUE they had to be registered if documented.

Most of these people had been boating for decades.

Bryant's post restates what I posted earlier! This should put to rest this discussion or maybe not? Lets get back to meaningful topics like twins/single ,flybridge/pilothouse, trawler boats not really trawlers etc.

Documentation

So, why do so many TFers have no state-registration numbers displayed on their hulls? Presumably, they are mostly federally-documented since displaying state registration numbers is prohibited.

So why haven't we seen multiple state registration numbers on boats slowly transiting multiple states?

What's your favorite technique for removing hull-plastered state registration numbers?

If your boat is documented and your state requires registration (as in Fl) you do not display registration numbers. You only display the registration decal. You are required to have the documentation number permanently affixed to the interior of your hull. You are not required to register your boat in states that you are transiting.
Turpentine or nail polish remover should remove the adhesive residue from old registration numbers. Alcohol should also work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom