Documentation renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck34

A lot has been said here and other boating forums about the slow service coming out of the CG Doc. Office.
I processed my renewal online last Thursday am, they pulled the money from my checking account that night and mailed my renewal COD the next day. Got it on Monday.
I also called them with a quick, unrelated question, and I was on hold less than one minute before someone picked up.
Great service.

Yes the renewals goes quickly. It is the new documentation or a boat transferred to a new owner that takes quite a while.

As a data point:

Our private party purchase closed on March 1. The NVDC noted receipt of paperwork on March10 and we received our new COD on May 10.

Something to keep in mind (at least for FL) is that FL gives you 30 days to register or they levy fees - When I went to the tax collector's office to register (inside the 30 day window) all I had to show (in addition to our Bill of Sale) was proof that the NVDC had received our paperwork. That info is available on the NVDC website.

So yes, new and/or transfers take longer than renewals, but they're still a lot faster than they were 10-15 years ago when six months was the norm.

I think renewals are done automatically by thier computers. Give them something a human has to look at and it takes a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom