Old 03-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #81

City: Richmond
I’m guessing these scammer companies (there are a couple) have been reported to the FTC, Post Office and CG multiple times, but unfortunately, the fine print covers their butts. However, a year or so ago, the CG stopped putting boat owners’ names and addresses on their website. That was the source of info the scammers used. Their databases will now start to dry up.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #82
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'd love to find a better way to get the word out, so fewer people get scammed. Off the top of my head, here's one possibility:

Along with the certificate, the NVDC could include a renewal reminder. Just a sheet of paper showing the date, cost and web site where to renew. If you renewed on line, they could also send you an e-mail with a calendar entry (.ics file) attachment that includes the same information.

They'd probably get beaten up by some congresscritters if they specifically said not to fall for the scams. But it seems perfectly legitimate to pass along the actual cost and correct web site, and let the boater decide if they want to pay more.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

They'd probably get beaten up by some congresscritters if they specifically said not to fall for the scams. But it seems perfectly legitimate to pass along the actual cost and correct web site, and let the boater decide if they want to pay more.
Actually, the CG put out a bulletin a few years ago warning boaters that there were private companies offering documentation services with much higher fees than the CG charged.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #84

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
I got scammed! I just paid $375 for 5 years. I'm in the process of trying to get the charge reversed. The USCG logo really fooled me and the fact that they sent me the letter stating my documentation was about to expire (which it was). The above was really helpful information and I wish I had read it sooner.
I wondered about copyright of the logo, and found this on their site:

"The U.S. Coast Guard's mark, emblem, and name are protected by federal law 14 USC 639. Approval before commercial use is required. The use of Coast Guard protected words and symbols for commercial purposes is prohibited unless the producer completes a licensing agreement with the U.S. Coast Guard."

If the USCG is warning people about these third party companies, why don't they go after them for illegal use of their logo?
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R M View Post
I wondered about copyright of the logo, and found this on their site:

"The U.S. Coast Guard's mark, emblem, and name are protected by federal law 14 USC 639. Approval before commercial use is required. The use of Coast Guard protected words and symbols for commercial purposes is prohibited unless the producer completes a licensing agreement with the U.S. Coast Guard."

If the USCG is warning people about these third party companies, why don't they go after them for illegal use of their logo?
If you look at the CG's actual logo and compare it to the scammers logo, it's close but not exact...enough difference to get away with it. The same with the big red stripe on CG Boats vs the boat stripe on the scammers website...close but not close enough to have legal action charged.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #86
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
I ran into a guy a few days ago who got "scammed" by one of these companies. For him, the saving grace was that he mailed in his application along with his check. He didn't find out that it wasn't the official site until after he had received his documentation renewal. He notified the company, requesting that the difference in $$ be refunded back to him. They basically told him to pack sand. Then he send them a certified letter asking again that they refund the difference. He also included a copy of his cancelled check, front and back that was made out to the "National Vessel Documentation Center", and asked them by what legal authority they cashed a check made out to a Federal Agency?
About 10 days later he received a check in the mail from the company for the FULL amount. No letter, no explanation, just the check!
And they had already processed his application and he had already received his renewal!
Old 04-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #87

Just got my renewal reminder from one of the scammers, National Documentation Portal. In the letter they clearly say 5 year renewal is mandatory, which is wrong. CG offers 1-5 year renewal.
Just reminding folks only go to the real CG Doc office for $26/year renewal, not $75.