Old 02-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Got my (.mil) renewal notice yesterday, the real thing. I did an online credit card payment, $26 for one year, pretty quick and easy. I didn't see a multi-year choice, unless it was up to me to multiply $26 by each additional year that I wanted and submit a higher payment. I wasn't going to roll the dice though on the automated system knowing what my intention was. Pretty easy, and last year the renewal cert came in the mail in a lightning-fast three or four days. Kind of a pleasant annual task, a signal that in a few months the marina will be dropping the boat back in.
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #42

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat67 View Post
It is not a scammer, it a legit business, I don't use it as it cost more and why not use the real site, they have made the site so much easier to get around in.
WRONG.
Itís a SCAM.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #43
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
... I didn't see a multi-year choice...

I was hoping it would be there by now. I'd like to do the 5-year renewal, to give me a bit of time to straighten things out if I sell the house. Don't want my renewal coming up before I've bought a new place.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:28 PM   #44

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I renewed today. Paid with credit card. Only renewal option was $26.00 for one year. I looked around on the site, but a one-year renewal was all I could find. There was a notice on the Home page that the site was being updated so maybe the $26.00 option is all that's available at the moment.
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:54 PM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Renew too early and you'll shorten your current documentation. Yesterday received a renewal notice seven months before my current documentation expires.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #46
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Renew too early and you'll shorten your current documentation. Yesterday received a renewal notice seven months before my current documentation expires.

Did you verify it was not one of those scam renewal letters?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #47

City: Here and there
From NVDC website:

CODs renewed more than 60 days prior to expiration will be issued with a new issue/expiration date, shortening validity period of document.

CODs renewed 60 days or less from expiration will maintain the same expiration month.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #48

City: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Look closely at the letter and the website link they want you to go to. If it is .mil it is legit. Anything else, .com .us etc. it is a scammer
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #49

The CG website fee schedule lists multi year renewals and the forms have instructions for multi year renewal. It is available and has been for a year or two
Old 02-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
OK guys, here it is, straight from the horses mouth. We do get 1-5 year renewal.
This is the response I got from NVDC.

There was a law scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2022 whereas Recreational CODs would be issued ONLY for a validity period of 5 years. However, on December 27, 2021, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2022 was passed which allows the owner or operator of a recreational vessel to choose a period of effectiveness of between 1 and 5 years for an initial or renewal COD.

The fee schedule on the NVDC website says 5 year only, but that will be corrected soon.
I posted this a couple weeks ago because of all the confusion over 1-5 year renewals. At the time the fee schedule listed only a 5 year renewal. It has now been corrected to show 1-5 year.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
The CG website fee schedule lists multi year renewals and the forms have instructions for multi year renewal. It is available and has been for a year or two
Yes yes, I know that's available, but not if you use the fully automated, really quick online renewal with a credit card payment. If you want multi-year, you have to use a check, fill out forms, and a human has to handle the transaction. I get my (one year) renewal in the mail ridiculously fast, like three or four days later. From the posts on this forum, do it by hand for multi-year and it takes weeks or months. I'm not willing to chance it, when one year is pretty quick and easy. Took me literally four minutes.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #52
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Yes yes, I know that's available, but not if you use the fully automated, really quick online renewal with a credit card payment. If you want multi-year, you have to use a check, fill out forms, and a human has to handle the transaction. I get my (one year) renewal in the mail ridiculously fast, like three or four days later. From the posts on this forum, do it by hand for multi-year and it takes weeks or months. I'm not willing to chance it, when one year is pretty quick and easy. Took me literally four minutes.
The directions are to put the number of years of renewal extension on the comment line on the check, and trust them to figure it out after you submit your check. That's what I did, a few weeks ago, the check still hasn't cleared. It seems like a pretty clumsy way to do it, but that's what the directions said...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
According to the CG NVDC website, online ordering for 5 year renewals is coming As noted and as people have commented, if you want a 5 year renewal you will need to do it the "old fashioned way" for now. Also as noted, the online option works great for 1 year renewals; took me about 2 minutes to complete.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/

Expanded Online Ordering
12/22/2021 UPDATE: Due to production delays, deployment of the eStorefront application will be postponed until February, 2022. The NVDC will continue to offer all products and services, including one to five year recreational Certificates of Documentation, through traditional modes during this timeframe.
23435ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #54
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
The NVDC site is cryptic, to say the least. Will they always send a renewal notice, or is knowing when to renew on the vessel owner?
Old 02-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
The NVDC site is cryptic, to say the least. Will they always send a renewal notice, or is knowing when to renew on the vessel owner?
I have always gotten an official (i.e. from the CG) renewal notice with the renewal form in the mail approx.60 days before my document expired. Not to say that at some point they will move to email notification. I always also put a reminder on my calendar 45 days out, just in case. If you renew 60 days or less you keep the same renewal date.
23435ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #56
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Roger that. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:37 PM   #57

City: Hawaii
Markpierce, can you say "scam." The real US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center does not send out renewal notice more than one month in advance.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #58
Veteran Member

City: Placida, FL
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMaritime View Post
Markpierce, can you say "scam." The real US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center does not send out renewal notice more than one month in advance.
Actually they do. My renewal date is 3/31/22 and I received my renewal letter from the NVDC on Feb 3.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Actually they do. My renewal date is 3/31/22 and I received my renewal letter from the NVDC on Feb 3.
Same here. My renewal date is also 3/31 and I got my (real) renewal notice from Falling Water, WV last week.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Did you verify it was not one of those scam renewal letters?
It wasn't from any government agency.