Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Our marina and it's sister marina located adjacent to ours have individual slips that sit perpendicular to the main walkway. Each marina has a distinct preference in whether to stern in or bow in. Ours most stern in, we were told by the fire department that because most boat fires start are in mechanical spaces, a stern in tie would provide easier access for fighting a fire. Another plus is the finger piers are relatively narrow and have roof supports on them, it's just easier access on and off the boat if it's stern in.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just a note....what is typical for one area isn't for another.

Having actually fought boat fires...I could see where boat size has a lot more to do with it than stern/bow in.

By the time most boat fires are discovered and the fire department arrives and starts fighting it...the boat that started it is a constructive loss and they just protect surrounding boats.

So bow in or stern in is moot probably in all but a few cases.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
For you, is that just a size issue? Or...?

-Chris
I think not liking "stern to" is largely just what I grew up with. On the lake, every boat was bow in. The slips were designed that way, even with angled pieces narrowing the bow area. So, "stern to" was different for me. I have gradually become more use to it.

I don't like people backing vehicles into parking spaces either. To me that's not how they were designed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't like people backing vehicles into parking spaces either. To me that's not how they were designed.
Ditto.

Here, most all berths are designed for bow-in as the slips all narrow at the end. Doesn't stop a lot of boaters doing it stern-in, however.

Nevertheless, there are situations where boats dock Mediterranean style short-term where individual berths are absent and the capacity of a dock is insufficient to tie-on parallel along the dock.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by isphh View Post
I’m transitioning from a 42’ sailboat to a Nordhavn 40. after 15 years with this sailboat I am a novice with the Nordhavn. There is no visibility to the stern from the pilot house so how do you dock stern to not being able to see? Also the bow is so much higher than my sailboat so how do you pick up a morning ball? There are no side decks on the trawler. Any one know of a good teacher in the Ft Meyers Fl area? Thanks
Stern to with no rearwards visibility is an exercise in frustration. On your N40, various ways to obtain that visibility have been suggested, and you will certainly need to do so.

Driving that boat in reverse will also have its challenges, being a single, though you likely have at least a bow thruster, if not also a stern thruster. Practice steering the boat in reverse (once visibility is conquered) will be necessary.
Med Mooring has been suggested, and as that generally means stern to, is relevant here. Med mooring in crowded conditions will mean a likelihood of squeezing between moored boats, while driving your own in reverse. Once you have determined which way your stern is pulled by prop walk, you know which way to approach the desired space. You won't be able to bring the stern into the space at all, if you approach from the wrong direction, as your prop walk direction will pull your stern away from, rather than towards, the desired space.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #46
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
As far as the practicalities of boat fires, Psneeld has it correct. Having spent my life in the fire service of a major seaport, I have a good amount of both experience and training in this area. Most (almost all) boat fires are a "protect the exposures" (neighbouring boats, docks, buildings, etc.) situation upon fire department arrival. Stern in or bow in (especially for the boat involved) will not usually make any real difference in that regard.
Depending on the marina facilities, this problem can be exasperated (allowing the fire to continue to develop in size) due to the "setup" time required for the firefighters to actually be "flowing water" to control the situation.
However, in the unlikely event that boat owners are on scene and able to access their boats, then a stern in tie up may make it easier to "get away" from the fire area. In my experience, this is not a likely event, but it could under the right circumstances rarely happen (and only for boats that are not imminently threatened). Usually access to the dock(s) would be restricted by the fire and/or police officials.

Regards,
Tom
Old 10-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
I think not liking "stern to" is largely just what I grew up with. On the lake, every boat was bow in. The slips were designed that way, even with angled pieces narrowing the bow area. So, "stern to" was different for me. I have gradually become more use to it.

Ah. It's common around here to have short finger piers... so getting off at the bow would be taking a flying leap...

FWIW, it's often easier to back long vehicles -- full-length pick-ups and Suburbans and so forth -- onto a slip... er....parking space because the wheels doing the turning controls turning radius. Can be a 17-point turn getting into a space face first, and a single point turn reversing into it. Nice to have back-up cameras these days; doesn't help (me) much getting the side-to-side sorted out, but it's nice to be able to get as close as possible to the vehicle or curb or wall or whatever that's behind.

-Chris
Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #48
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Since we bought our boat last year we had only docked stern-in, or on side walls - til we got to Joe Wheeler State Park last week - we pulled in like the Nord Haven next door - bow in
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Ah. It's common around here to have short finger piers... so getting off at the bow would be taking a flying leap...

FWIW, it's often easier to back long vehicles -- full-length pick-ups and Suburbans and so forth -- onto a slip... er....parking space because the wheels doing the turning controls turning radius. Can be a 17-point turn getting into a space face first, and a single point turn reversing into it. Nice to have back-up cameras these days; doesn't help (me) much getting the side-to-side sorted out, but it's nice to be able to get as close as possible to the vehicle or curb or wall or whatever that's behind.

-Chris

I read an article not too long ago stating that people backing out of spots in parking lots were far more likely to have an accident versus backing in and pulling out.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #50
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I read an article not too long ago stating that people backing out of spots in parking lots were far more likely to have an accident versus backing in and pulling out.

Hadn't realized/thought about that...

-Chris
Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Hadn't realized/thought about that...

-Chris
Agree about the larger vehicles backing in.... now that my daily driver is a 24 foot motorhome (2 feet longer than a full sized bed quad cab pickup)... I usually back in as it's easier and also to put those 2 extra feet hanging over a flower bed or grass so I fit in a normal sized space.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #52
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:

True.
Think back to “close calls” in parking lots. Restricted visibility backing out. Backing in you effectively block traffic, reducing risk of a vehicle speeding down the traffic lane. You must be more attentive backing in, that’s good.
Buddy of mine drove a fleet car for years, sales; fleet self-insured. Backing into a parking spot was required. They enforced it. Had the data.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #53
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
That's because more than 95% drive in forward, and later back out.

Nice to now have a "back door" camera on the car.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's because more than 95% drive in forward, and later back out.

Nice to now have a "back door" camera on the car.

In all fairness Mark, I think the study was more than a 5 second glance at stats.

Usually I am the first one to laugh at studies...and they often are still full of holes ...but this one rang true to me.

Don't know if this one included any stats about people backing out of their driveways and running over their kid's bikes, sometimes with them still on the bikes.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #55
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Quote:
In all fairness Mark, I think the study was more than a 5 second glance at stats.

Usually I am the first one to laugh at studies...and they often are still full of holes ...but this one rang true to me.

Don't know if this one included any stats about people backing out of their driveways and running over their kid's bikes, sometimes with them still on the bikes.
It is actually safer. Talk to the phone companies, electric utilities, and other utility fleets. Stuff like this is studied and implemented in their driving protocols. For the phone company (good friend of mine worked for C & P), whenever possible, they were required to back into a spot. The reason was that you could stop on the road and legally wait till traffic allowed you to back in (traffic behind you is required [burdened] to not run into you). When leaving, you don't have any right of way when backing into traffic. So, it was determined that it was safer with better visibility to leave the parked spot going forward. They are also required to chock a wheel when parked. It's all about reducing risks. Whenever possible, I back into a spot whether in a car, truck or a boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #56
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:

Totally agree.

Backing in your potential threat are parked cars. Moving cars will stop for you while you back in, even thought the might be impatient.

Backing out, your risk is moving cars and often hard to see and confusion as to who is doing what.

A better way is if you can drive in an go thru to the next space so you can drive out... and never have to back. There should be a law that all parking lots be designed this way.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
A better way is if you can drive in an go thru to the next space so you can drive out... and never have to back. There should be a law that all parking lots be designed this way.

When going shopping, I always try to park away from others to avoid the door dings and to find the pull through parking spaces.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #58

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

When going shopping, I always try to park away from others to avoid the door dings and to find the pull through parking spaces.

Ted
I always park way out in left field, never anyone around until I come back to the car and 3/4 cars are right there next to my car. Another example of the sheep effect.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:

In a car I like to back into a parking space because I know by looking what is there and what room I have. Then when we are leaving I can easily see what is in front of me. I don’t have to back out where there can be cross traffic that I might not be able to see, or there might be a small kid in my blind spot when I back out. I deliberately look for spots that I don’t have to back out, either I can back in or pull through two spots so I am pointed out.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #60
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
In addition to being a lifetime boater, I'm also a lifetime car guy.

Car guys, especially when driving their cool cars, park way way out to avoid dings and back into parking spaces to offer a better view of the car.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docking, mooring ball