Docking stern to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Combat parking a motor vehicle is my preferred way. The boat I don’t care how the dock guts want me as long as my electric cord can reach and I can get off the boat. These days I look for floating docks so I can step from the platform to the dock.

Grabbing a mooring ball

Try one of these. It works great from the bow of my Kadey Krogen. Robship Hook & Moor Boat Hook 708 8980.

Parking lots with diagonal spaces and one-way traffic are designed to drive in frontally.

Parking lots with diagonal spaces and one-way traffic are designed to drive in frontally.

Correct. And in my opinion, it's not a great design because of that. Although visibility backing out of an angled space in a one-way lot is better than backing out of a standard space.

Yes, and I look for one with an empty space ahead to pull into. Then it's just a matter of a hard left turn forward to leave. Optimally, I'm far enough away from the store that there are no cars on either side of me.

Ted

Then when we are leaving I can easily see what is in front of me. I don’t have to back out where there can be cross traffic that I might not be able to see, or there might be a small kid in my blind spot when I back out. .
I understand your rational but I should point out that most of the new cars have addressed the "backing out" & blind spot problems with very powerful & visual sensors. They alert you with sound alerts and video images of cars coming and from what direction, as well and people, dogs, etc. My car alerts me to cross traffic several times a day.:blush:

Very true about new cars and sensors.

More and more safety features taking away the requirement for humans to think ahead.

No boats have those warning sensors that I know of and I know a lot of kayakers and paddleboarders that aren't too bright either and could be in a boats backup camera blindspot.

Ultimately sensors and brains can do a lot....if they are both functioning and heeded.

I prefer to back in due to the reasons already mentioned and the likelihood of loose kids in a parking lot. My children are young so most of our trips involve going places where there are lots of other kids (sports practice, cheerleading, etc). When I arrive, I can usually find a quiet spot to back in with unobstructed views but you have little choice in the situation around you when it is time to leave. Unfortunately there are frequently parents with full hands allowing their 3 to 4 year old children wandering amongst tall SUV's that are very difficult to see. A child hit by a car or left in a hot car have to be my two biggest fears.

What were we discussing again?

amongst tall SUV's that are very difficult to see. A

Wifey B: You hit a huge change over the years, all the tall trucks, vans, and SUV's. It was once fairly easy to see to back out of spaces as your line of sight allowed you to see the oncoming vehicles. Not now. :nonono: Now, there are monster trucks all around. Now, often times, my hubby or I will stand at the back of the car until the other backs out. :) One other aside. The other day I saw a truck up ahead positioning pull to the side and I didn't know at first he was positioning to back into a space. I don't know if the VW Beatle between us knew or not but he quickly whipped into the empty space. Said truck driver wasn't happy. We stayed back in case violence ensued, but fortunately it didn't, just yelling and cursing. :ermm:

I've had people steal a space like that (and almost hit me in the process) after I was already in reverse, moving towards the space and had my turn signal on. One time I asked the person what their problem was and received the response "I didn't know you were parking there, that's not how normal people park" :banghead:

I've had people steal a space like that (and almost hit me in the process) after I was already in reverse, moving towards the space and had my turn signal on. One time I asked the person what their problem was and received the response "I didn't know you were parking there, that's not how normal people park" :banghead:
I block the space with my turn signal on and wait for them to go around me or figure out what I'm doing.

Ted

my kind of passarelle

If I were stern-to docking a boat, I think I'd want a boat like this:

Attachments

• ruff seas 7204832_20190904111029591_1_XLARGE.jpg
    ruff seas 7204832_20190904111029591_1_XLARGE.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 44
I worry that, when reversing my car into a parking spot, there might be a small boat on a trailer not immediately visible.
There! Cars and boats, in one post.

Back
Top Bottom