docked boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchellp

I am interested in getting a houseboat to live on for nine months out of the year. It will remain docked, no cruising at all.
Here are my questions:
1. How to keep the fuel fresh since I will not be cruising and how much fuel to keep on board
2. I will run the engines every month, however since I will not be moving, will this hurt the shaft seals etc.
3. It will be on fresh water reservoir and have a fresh hull paint, how often should I pull the boat to re-do paint on a fiberglass hull.

Thanks
Mitch

Q1 Use Stabiil or Seafoam for fuel treatment. If it’s gasoline better to burn up to a minimum tank (s) amount.
Q2 The shaft seal should be fine, depending on the dock and your dock lines starting the engines and putting the transmissions in idle gear ahead and astern for a minute or two while checking the stern tube seal not a bad monthly routine. Also cycle the steering hard over port to starboard added to your monthly routine. Also don’t forget your generator, running monthly with a electric loaded till warmed up to normal levels. You also need to think about having engines oil and filters changed ideally yearly.
Q3 Anti-fouling paint should be good for many many years, I have seen haulout for cleaning, inspection and or re-painting done every 5 to 10 years. If you have a divers service better yet for hull cleaning and more important anode checks and replacement. A wise routine on anodes would be to log in based on inspections dates to establish a schedule of change is required.

Last edited:
If I were looking at such a scenario and I couldn’t afford one of those floating cottage/barge type things, I’d look for a discounted houseboat that had trashed engines and not worry about it. No engines to pamper, no fuel to go bad. Otherwise you’ll spend money, time and effort keeping engines alive that you have no intention of using. If it needs to be moved, a marina yard boat can tow it. Just a thought.

Porgy, in our boating area, boats with non-functioning propulsion are being denied dockage because it violates the marina dock rental agreement.
IMO and experience, boats in this condition are not kept clean and or safe and marinas that allow this turn into low rent housing marinas.

I can see how that could happen. I was thinking of an owner I knew who did keep her boat in good condition- a Holiday Mansion Super Barracuda. Love the name. And, I’ve seen a number of floating cottages that were very nice. But yes, there will be those who ruin it for the rest.

If I were looking at such a scenario and I couldn’t afford one of those floating cottage/barge type things, I’d look for a discounted houseboat that had trashed engines and not worry about it. No engines to pamper, no fuel to go bad. Otherwise you’ll spend money, time and effort keeping engines alive that you have no intention of using. If it needs to be moved, a marina yard boat can tow it. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea to explore. When I bought our current boat PO plan was to buy a house boat w/o engine to park at the dock to live on plus a run about to play with.

I am interested in getting a houseboat to live on for nine months out of the year. It will remain docked, no cruising at all.
Here are my questions:
1. How to keep the fuel fresh since I will not be cruising and how much fuel to keep on board
2. I will run the engines every month, however since I will not be moving, will this hurt the shaft seals etc.
3. It will be on fresh water reservoir and have a fresh hull paint, how often should I pull the boat to re-do paint on a fiberglass hull.

Thanks
Mitch

One approach that works in some areas is a house boat or house barge with an outboard big enough to move the boat on a windless day. A control station where you can actually see to move the boat. Running lights & horn. All the required safety gear. Keep it registered. It's a legal boat. Depending upon local regulations you may have to get underway occasionally to prove it's a functional boat. Use a small, 3 or 6 gal fuel tank. Between sessions pour the outboard fuel into your car or truck tank, no need to worry about old fuel. You'll still have to maintain the outboard.

If you're going to have a functioning boat on a navigable waterway, why NOT take it out??

Back
Top Bottom