Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
That was quick...
Apparently in an area that has both slip strike (side to side slippage) and megathrust (one plate dives beneath another & the top one springs upwards/forwards then drops back down at its leading edge during a quake) so the warning goes out right away, just in case...
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Guru

While staying in Pruth Bay on Calvert Island (BC central coast) we made note of the tsunami trails to higher ground. You just never know...

Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Everything good on the Columbia River.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I was lying in bed watching the blinds swing, thinking "that's gone on about long enough". I was here in 1964, and it was duration rather than intensity that did the damage, not that it wasn't intense as well... Duration wasn't that long for this one, and it really didn't feel as large as was reported.

Got a cell phone notification to evacuate along the coast (don't live there) and then went to see when the tsunami would hit Homer (where the boat is on blocks). It said 2:50 AM so I checked back a couple of times (from bed) on my smart phone to see if there was any tsunami activity along the coast (nope).

Still need to call the boatyard, but as earthquakes up here go it wasn't a biggie! We had several smaller ones throughout the day before the larger event. Lots of people didn't even wake up for it :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
BIG scare in Alaska.
People in my home port of Seward ean for high ground. Kokiak, and other locatons as well.

Glad is was a non issue in the end.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Guru

Indeed! Seward was totally trashed by the 1964 earthquake, not much of the town was left... I believe the tsunami wave ran a couple of miles up the valley in Seward, the only saving grace was a low population along the coasts.

My dad was a helicopter pilot, and flew into Chenega right after, the village was gone, many lives lost... I never forget how easy it is to get cut off when a quake hits, keep extra generator gas handy and I am happy my home is heated with diesel from a 500 gallon tank. Groceries got pretty thin back in 1964, almost everything back then came North by truck or barge. The roads were broken and the docks were mostly gone.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
During the '64 9.2 quake, if you were unlucky enough to be anchored in Shoup Bay in Valdez inlet you'd have encountered a 67 meter tsunami.

Alaska is where the Ring of Fire does a nearly 180 degree turn to run down the western Pacific side into NZ. The quake driven destruction and issues are real. Glad to see the warning went out.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Guru

In the oral history of the Haisla (local First Nations people) when they came to Kitimat there was nothing but scrub brush between the ocean and a steep hill a couple miles inland. It was also unpopulated, despite having a major salmon and eulochon river.

They saw strips of cedar bark coming down the river so they went upstream to see who it was, and that's how they met the Kitselas people from up the valley. This means the valley was forested with mature trees...so why only scrub brush near the ocean?

The bottom of Douglas Channel was recently surveyed due to several optimistic industrial plans which could increase shipping, and a 25 mile fault was discovered running up the middle of the channel that nobody knew about. They found two massive submarine landslides near the fault.

Douglas Channel also lines up with the Kitsumkalum Valley; there are five hot springs, all on the east side of the valleys, and at the northern end is Canada's youngest volcano.

After the last earthquake which popped off near Haida Gwaii, it was discovered that it could generate megathrust quakes.

The signs are there...

We live on that hill a couple miles inland
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Guru

The speed and violence of the tsunami in Prince William Sound is believed to have been caused by the shearing off of a huge piece of an underwater cliff into deep water. Large areas of PWS are over 1000' deep with some 1600'+ in depth. I lose bottom with my broadband sounder from time to time...

Within minutes of the earthquake the waves hit inside the Sound, with some areas having the waves run up into bays to the height of several hundred feet. At Nellie Juan cannery the debris from the structures can be found hundreds of feet up the mountainside above the ruins of the cannery.

If the waves had originated outside of the Sound, you would think the islands would provide partial protection against the worst of the tsunami waves. Still, coastal communities inside and outside of the Sound were hard hit by tsunami waves. I lived in Anchorage at the time, and almost all of the bridges along the coast were destroyed either by waves or massive land shifts which raised or lowered the coastline.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Glad it turned out to be a non-event. Just think of the outcry if it was worse and no warning was announced. This thing did generate some discussion on our boat. My bride and I started thinking about what we would do here in Poulsbo WA if a tsunami was coming our way. Still not sure what we would do but it looks like the powers that be do not consider a tsunami to be a threat to our little burb.

Alaska is not the only place to suffer when there is an earth quake there. Hilo, Hawaii, was hammered by a tsunami generated from an Alaska earth quake in 1946. Interestingly enough we were living in HI in 1987 when another earthquake in Alaska generated the same type and magnitude of pulse as measured on an ocean buoy. A tsunami alert went out in Hawaii and tons of people raced down to Waikiki to watch it. Talk about evolution at work! Lucky for them it only produces a few inches of surge that time.

Marty......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Alaska is not the only place to suffer when there is an earth quake there. Hilo, Hawaii, was hammered by a tsunami generated from an Alaska earth quake in 1946. Interestingly enough we were living in HI in 1987 when another earthquake in Alaska generated the same type and magnitude of pulse as measured on an ocean buoy. A tsunami alert went out in Hawaii and tons of people raced down to Waikiki to watch it. Talk about evolution at work! Lucky for them it only produces a few inches of surge that time.

Marty......................
Quakes are no big deal. But Hawaii just puts out messages stating the missiles are coming. In Alaska, we have our own missiles to shoot back!!!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #15

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Quakes are no big deal. But Hawaii just puts out messages stating the missiles are coming. In Alaska, we have our own missiles to shoot back!!!!
Yep, that one definitely falls squarely in the FUBAR category. Of course it was a "computer" problem.

Marty...................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote