Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #81
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I talked with a French company at CES that has an industrial device they are getting down to a consumer price point... 200ish. You can turn water on and off with an app (uses SMS to trigger) or manually, but more importantly you can program it so that it will turn off water if a certain time or number of gallons are exceeded of constant running. Would have a number of marine uses including subject at hand. Through hulls for instance. They are a little behind on updating their public/coinsumer website or I'd provide a link. I may get around to scanning the brochure. Or, not. But this kind of thing will be a lot more common soon.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #82
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
suprised it hasnt happened sooner....

maybe because city water sinkings just arent that common.

lots of neanderthal ways to kill the water...looking forward to a simple, inexpensive device.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #83

PVR, Mexico
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #84
Guru

Is that Puerta Vallerta Resorts Marina...because if it is, they advertise water conbections for every slip.

You sure are making this hard, all I wanted was a few marinas that prohibit you from hooking up. I have never encountered one and one in Mexico is hardly anything more than an anomoly.

Funny PVR would do that but not let you hook up or even provide it for every slip and yet expect you to live off your water tanks.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #85

City: Washington
It's really a shame that on this forum, it's impossible to discuss a subject where there are different opinions without it getting to be a pissing contest where posters on one side feel compelled to insult those on the other side in an effort to "prove" their point.

It's not supposed to be a matter of winning or losing, it's supposed to be a place to share information.

PS: After five pages of increasing snarkiness, I doubt a single person has changed his or her mind on the subject.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #86

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
The last two boats I've owned used the Jabsco water regulator for shore water. While in my slip I would use dock water simply because I didn't want to hear the fresh water pump cycle on and off every time someone would turn on a facet. I would always disconnect before leaving boat.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #87
Veteran Member

City: Siesta Key FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
While in my slip I would use dock water simply because I didn't want to hear the fresh water pump cycle on and off
I like the opposite (use boat water when I'm on the boat at home) for the opposite reason - I want to hear the pump. If it cycles on in the middle of the night, I know I picked up a leak that needs to be hunted down and fixed. Either that or someone didn't close a faucet completely!
SiestaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #88
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
It's really a shame that on this forum, it's impossible to discuss a subject where there are different opinions without it getting to be a pissing contest where posters on one side feel compelled to insult those on the other side in an effort to "prove" their point.

It's not supposed to be a matter of winning or losing, it's supposed to be a place to share information.

PS: After five pages of increasing snarkiness, I doubt a single person has changed his or her mind on the subject.
It happens every winter, probably due to cabin fever and frustration from not being on their boats. That’s my guess. Less snarky comments from southern boaters, I think.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #89
Guru

Nothing to do with cabin fever...I am on a mooring ball in Marathon in the keys....long term cruising unlike most members....for that I am fortunate.

I have visited hundreds of marinas by cruising and delivering yachts as a job.

I feel the no connecting to city water by marina regulations agreement is so few and far between in the US, I am calling BS on the post unless some proof is posted.

Otherwise, new cruisers get bad info and may change the way tbey do things based on yet another net myth.

I just like to see real, up to date info passed to our members....

There was nothing snarky about it...just searching for the truth and so far...we have one marina in North America that may not allow city hookuos...but I checked that resorts homepage and they talk about hookups at every slip. Doutful hooking up is prohibited

So if thats snarkey....well...sorry...I prefer to live in a factual world when gathering cruising data than Disney.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #90
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Amazing how a small thing like a water pressure regulator can have so many different opinions. Seems simple to me, but what do I know.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #91

City: Washington
It's not just about pressure regulators.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Amazing how a small thing like a water pressure regulator can have so many different opinions. Seems simple to me, but what do I know.
if you havent noticed it before...

which is hard to believe as I doubt anyone on TF is less than above average intellect....

but there are a million things that can go wrong while boating....everyone has tbeir own horror story to tell....

but if you add all those horror stories together... boating in general becomes one big horror story.

what we often dont get is the full story.

so in reality...the chances of me having the same horror story while boating as anyone else is probably no better than getting hit by lightning, having a heart attack underway, getting hit by a meterorite, etc...etc....

Plus, if I chose to do the same but mitigate one or several issues the other person didnt take...the numbers go right ot the window.

so while TF is a great place to trade info...trading fears is our worst enemy.

some here seem to think every safety suggestion or ABYC best practice is gospel and boating should be postponed till all things aboard are perfect.

sorry, I cant buy that.

mitigate risks, dont take the ones you cant live with...but please....dont tell me that all opinions matter past their own post and certainly not every risk ends in worst case scenario.

simple?....no but why not argue with people who are either not pros in their field or someone who cant submit at least one link to support their claim, especially when they are insinuating that tbeir topic is common.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #93
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We live aboard and I fill the tanks for our water needs. We carry 300 gallons contained in 3 X 100 gallon tanks. I open one tank at a time as they empty. A year ago a visiting guest asked me if the water on the floor in the head was coming from outside. A quick check revealed that a plumbing connection to the sink faucet had come loose and drained the opened tank dry. Had we been hooked to dockside water I'm sure a lot more water would have entered the boat. This was a first incident like this in 53 years of boating so I must concede the risk is low. However, I was happy I was using tank water.

Perhaps the best way to mitigate the chance of a disaster when hooked to dockside water is to not only use a gallon limiting device but to also have a really loud high water bilge alarm. I think that is a good back up.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #94
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We live aboard and I fill the tanks for our water needs. We carry 300 gallons contained in 3 X 100 gallon tanks. I open one tank at a time as they empty. A year ago a visiting guest asked me if the water on the floor in the head was coming from outside. A quick check revealed that a plumbing connection to the sink faucet had come loose and drained the opened tank dry. Had we been hooked to dockside water I'm sure a lot more water would have entered the boat. This was a first incident like this in 53 years of boating so I must concede the risk is low. However, I was happy I was using tank water.

Perhaps the best way to mitigate the chance of a disaster when hooked to dockside water is to not only use a gallon limiting device but to also have a really loud high water bilge alarm. I think that is a good back up.
You couldn't hear the water pump? There are benefits to having noisy ones, which most FW pumps are.

Sounds like maybe you don't have any pressure/flow relief on your shore water.. wouldn't the guest have noticed the water regardless of source?
In my opinion, you'd either have to have tremendous unmitigated shore water flow and/or low capacity bilge pumps to set off a high water alarm.

On a foul weather day with nothing else to do, while we were on shore water, I attached a hose to the tap in the ER and "tested" every bilge (and did a little cleaning too). Could never out-run the bilge pump system. Had to manually test the high water alarms.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #95
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My high water alarm is a 6 inch fire bell. Even if I were asleep, that thing will wake me.
I also have a bilge pump counter reading out for each bilge pump.
I also have a mobile bilge pump that will plug into the 12vt output in the ER and tank room, with a very long hose.
My bilges need to be cleaned because of dust and dirt falling into the engine room.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #96
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
My high water alarm is a 6 inch fire bell. Even if I were asleep, that thing will wake me.
I also have a bilge pump counter reading out for each bilge pump.
I also have a mobile bilge pump that will plug into the 12vt output in the ER and tank room, with a very long hose.
My bilges need to be cleaned because of dust and dirt falling into the engine room.
Would be me not only would this wake me up but would also give me an instant heart attack so would sink with my boat lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #97
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
It is always a good idea to test the bilge pumps and high water alarms before leaving the dock.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #98

Amen
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #99
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Took me a couple of years to notice the female water connection on my boat. Never used it and haven't had the need. Perhaps the next owner will make use of it.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #100
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Aboatman

To me it has nothing to do with winning or loosing but making sure BS is not distributed as gospel, I’m thankful that there are members on this forum that have a great deal of knowledge to refute what some state as fact. I wish my feeble brain contained that knowledge. As long as it doesn’t get to personal name calling I’m good with asking a poster to substantiate his facts.

Just my SSO.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote